Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

LATEST POLL: Were the club right to part with Dowie ?

edited November 2006 in General Charlton
a simple yes no question. scroll down for the poll.

Comments

• What? I dont get it dood!
  • Dood, that is a toughie for sure, i need some time to think this one through.
  • At this time no, but we don't know if ID resigned or what.
  • ut oh.......

5 nos!!!!!!!!!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]At this time no, but we don't know if ID resigned or what.

That is a very fair comment BFR!

Maybe hold on until after the statement tomorrow.

Got to say- the more i think- He walked- allbeit honestly.
  • I reckon Dowie had a weekend at home with his wife and family after Wigan, he came into work this morning he and Murray had a chat and ID maybe had some time to think over the wekend that he doesn't feel that he's the right man for the job, away from home too much, a lot of stress, missing the family, working 12 hours a day...and decided to leave now rather than in a month or two.
  • Can't answer this until we hear the circumstances of his going.
  • Yes, and I think there maight be a lot in what BFR says, at the end of the day he left Palace to move back Norf and was sucked into CAFC because of working in the Prem, he should have gone home in the summer.
  • I repeat what I said yesterday before any of this happened:

Before the Fulham game we were all positive despite being bottom, saying that we'd had tough games with injuries etc. We all agreed on here (I think) that 'the season starts with Fulham.' Four league games later, against relatively poorer opponents and we have 4 points. That's relegation form because if we only pick up a point a game against the teams outside the top six, lose to the other teams then you finish the season with 28 points. Unless we get at least 4 points from Reading and Everton then that's where we're heading. I said before the Fulham game that I'd leave it until the end of November to judge and I'm sticking with that..

Who thinks we would have got 4 points from Reading and Everton? Personally I was losing confidence. I wasn't going to pass judgement until after those two games but now we've been given no choice. Personally I think it's too early to get rid of Dowie - but only just.
  • I've answered no, as I've just returned from a day out and seen all this... flabbergasted and, in truth, a bit very gutted, as I wanted to see him and the new management be successful. But I'm looking forward to more news being revealed, as to what exactly has taken place.
  • Sponsored links:

• I trust Dowie when he said he wanted to leave Palace to go home...and he probably would have done but Murray called and convinced him to take the Charlton job and it was too good to say no. I don't think he's a quitter, far from it but families often come first and maybe they did here. The last few months have been horrendous, rebuilding the team virtually from scratch, injury problems, several defeats on the bounce against good teams, bottom of the league, run of the ball just not going his way and not being able to get the team playing the way he wanted, spare time spent scouting opposition/new players, maybe getting home once a fortnight for 24 hours, and then on top of that preparing for a heavy duty court case.

I reckon after Wigan he went home and thought what's the point in killing myself, and never getting to see the wife and kids...
  • Very valid points BFR.

Tough job to follow AC, especially with the dross he left.

Just beginning to feel he'd turned the corner now that most of the injuries had gone.
    He may have had 12 games, but in reality only about 5/6 with his new team.
  • This is true but how long would you have given him?

The point to all this is that there is more to it all than meets the eye. I reckon that Dowie promised that he was telling the truth about his agreement with Jordan and that some new evidence has come to light. As we were giving him our full support and backing, costing us money in the process, any lies uncovered would be deemed a sackable offence.

Another theory I have is that Young and Bent (for example)told the board they weren't happy and wanted to leave. It's been reported that Bent was very unhappy after the Wigan game. What if he put in a transfer request? How would you react?
  • Where was it reported that Baby bent was very unhappy????
  • But he may have thought I've got another 7/8 months of this, then a month off, and then it starts all over again with pre-season training and another season with more grief and being away from the family 24/7. Guesswork by me but if his family didn't want to move, and there is no way he could see them except once every week or two that with all the grief and pressure he thought better to go now...

Curbs as always has done the right thing, taking a proper break between jobs, ID should have done that, thanked Murray for the job offer and gone home.

Good luck to ID, the real shame is that he hasn't through circumstance been able to show us what he could do.
  • edited November 2006
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    Another theory I have is that Young and Bent (for example)told the board they weren't happy and wanted to leave. It's been reported that Bent was very unhappy after the Wigan game. What if he put in a transfer request? How would you react?

There is equally for argument sake, the chance that Bent liked Dowie, is disappointed by all this, and is now considering his future ?
  • If he's "lost the dressing room" then he has to go, just puzzled by it all at the mo.

Sat excepted it was improving.

Worry is that it'll be another 5/6 games before we settle and then will deffo be too late.
  • Yep it does give Bent an excuse to hand in a transfer request. He's carried on this year like last and is in the England squad, his value has risen.
  • [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]Where was it reported that Baby bent was very unhappy????

On addickted.net:

Bent left angered
    By: Dan on Mon 13th November 2006
    Charlton striker Darren Bent has said he was angered and left frustrated by poor defensive errors during the recent loss at Wigan.
    Bent, who has now seen his goal against Wigan chalked off and put down as a De Zeeuw own goal, has called on his teammates to cut out the errors.

"We came here thinking we had sorted things out," said Bent. "But we have to look ourselves in the eye and admit that wasn't acceptable."

"We have to cut out the mistakes, otherwise there's no point people talking about us being better than a bottom-of-the-table side."

This is the first time that Bent has vented his frustration, and without him the Addicks would be even further behind the relegation back.
  • Can someone else say yes, I dont wanna be the only one saying it now. Was just trying to mix it up a bit ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]

There is equally for argument sake, the chance that Bent liked Dowie, is disappointed by all this, and is now considering his future ?

Possibly. I'm just throwing irons into the fire.
  • Bottom line for me is that I trust the board. They, particularly Richard Murray, have pretty much done the right thing from the beginning. IF they have sacked him I believe they must have had a very good reason beyone where we are in the league.
  • [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]Where was it reported that Baby bent was very unhappy????

On addickted.net:

Bent left angered
    By: Dan on Mon 13th November 2006
    Charlton striker Darren Bent has said he was angered and left frustrated by poor defensive errors during the recent loss at Wigan.
    Bent, who has now seen his goal against Wigan chalked off and put down as a De Zeeuw own goal, has called on his teammates to cut out the errors.

"We came here thinking we had sorted things out," said Bent. "But we have to look ourselves in the eye and admit that wasn't acceptable."

"We have to cut out the mistakes, otherwise there's no point people talking about us being better than a bottom-of-the-table side."

This is the first time that Bent has vented his frustration, and without him the Addicks would be even further behind the relegation back.

Nice to see people nicking peoples quotes and giving themselves the credit for them.
  • The thing is, if it is a dressing room fallout as reported by The Times then it must be a fall scale bust-up because you can deal with individuals.

It also said in The Times that a high profile backroom member of staff tendered his resignation to the Board before they convinced him to stay.
  • "high profile backroom member of staff tendered his resignation to the Board before they convinced him to stay."

Reed?
  • WSSWSS
    edited November 2006
    Maybe BFR, but it is just a newspaper report and i'm taking everything at face value at the moment.

Don't think the announcement this morning will reveal too much in all honesty
  • rumour i'd heard last night that reed put the boot in on dowie makes a bit more sense now
  • TT
    edited November 2006
    I think this sums up our predicament quite well. A good read.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article1981693.ece
  • Maybe BFR, but it is just a newspaper report and i'm taking everything at face value at the moment.

I don't know if there's any substance to the rumour but not that many people would tender their resignation to the board - Reed, maybe Robson...who else?

I wouldn't expect much either from the press conference other than the usual platitudes and an outlining of who will take over.

I wonder if Steve Brown is kicking himself for taking the job with West Ham? I don't think he'd be in-line to replace Dowie, but bumping everyone up a level would have created an opportunity somewhere.
  • Nice article there as well T