Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is the London accent slowly dieing

on my way home and there is a young lady who is taking on the phone to who her mate like the catherine Tate character yea but no but. My belief is that London is cosmopolition and before the Pc brigade jump on the band wagon this statement does not make me raceist that the true london accent will no longer exist in the next generation it will be a mix of chavs and pompus ecnomic migrants

Comments

• your having a giraffe
  • your aving a bubble
  • I aint having a Turkish son its getting a right pain n the old gregory
  • edited April 2008
    You are not wrong it is all this Lazy speak "i call it "

for example

peeta insted of Peter

It has drove me mad for years i first noticed it when my nephew was about 9 or 10 and i used to go mad at him

when nth london jr does it he gets the grief of his little life it is down to lazy parenting and schooling and fecking dictionaries that add these street words into their books

very big sore point with me i have said for years the English language will be lost yet alone london accent
  • gregory,could be used for neck or cheque,love it
  • what's a blod
  • blud
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]gregory,could be used for neck or cheque,love it[/quote]gregory is neck as in gregory peck
  • you lot are on the wrong site you need charlton babes
  • true,but i have heard people say got to cash a gregory peck as in cheque as well
  • Sponsored links:

• and the northern monkeys ride into town a bunch of tax dodging students and take the hit and miss how londoners talk and then call me a cockney!!!!! Then when u explain about cockneys there response is yea but you sound like that del boy and he is a cockney
  • isn't a cheque a kite but why???
  • yes as well,my favourite is mars bar for scar
  • Northeners never ever get it thats why when we used to sing we hate Cokneys with them they used to look confused
  • if my kids start to talk like some of these herberts god help em ......your a Londoner so be like one
  • Why don't we sing "Maybe it's because I'm a londoner" to the northerners anymore?
  • we did in the boozers before Ipswich
  • Needs reviving I think
  • edited April 2008
    Language and accents evolve. A while ago I listened to a programme on Radio 4 where they played recordings of soldiers' voices in World War 1. Even taking account of the sound quality those "working class Tommies" as they were known sound very different to the "working class" of today nearly 100 years on.
  • thats true,my grandads voice is diffrent them people these days
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]You are not wrong it is all this Lazy speak "i call it "

for example

peeta insted of Peter

It has drove me mad for years i first noticed it when my nephew was about 9 or 10 and i used to go mad at him

when nth london jr does it he gets the grief of his little life it is down to lazy parenting and schooling and fecking dictionaries that add these street words into their books

very big sore point with me i have said for years the English language will be lost yet alone london accent

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
  • I bemoan the standard of grammar and spelling ....

Program it is not
  • [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]I bemoan the standard of grammar and spelling ....

Program it is not

Where to start .........
  • [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]I bemoan the standard of grammar and spelling ....

Program it is not

What?
  • Yeah all these tea pot lid's with there chavvy rabbit and pork get on my hampton wick.
  • edited April 2008
    Have a listen to Del boys long lost dad Reg (not Grandad) in one of the early series of OF&H. Thats a cockney accent you very rarely here these days, nasal and almost like the dreadful false cockney accent of Dick Van Dyke.

Language changes. Think of the place known as Pall Mall. If you say it posh and plumy it sounds ike Pell Mell and that is indeed what it orginally was but the vowel sound has shifted. This is very common in history. The great strength of English is its acquisitiveness and adaptability. It doesn't surprise me that old fashioned cockney is being surplanted by street language.

I live in Norfolk and there are two distinct dialects in the area. One is Norwich which is nasal and quite high. I'm told this came from the shoemaking industry in the city )now virtually gone) where the noise of the factories required people to speak in a high register. The out of Norwich accent is much softer - characterised by phrases like "he know moy sister" and " hello moy man" and Ha' yer got a loight boy". What is clear though is that many people from Essex, Hertfordshire and beyond have moved up this way and a general southern/London accent probably just as common.
  • The "London accent" is certainly disappearing from the streets of London - as is English in some places.

The only thing worse than someone jabbering loudly on their mobile on a packed train is someone jabbering loudly in a language you don't understand!
  • There's a lot I could say on this subject, but instead I will just repeat that those who bemoan a lack of correct English should look at themselves.
  • [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]There's a lot I could say on this subject, but instead I will just repeat that those who bemoan a lack of correct English should look at themselves.

Admit it Jimmy, you checked that post twice for typo's before clicking the "Add your comments" box, didn't you?
    ;o)
  • init Jimmy ;0)