Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is Bolton now a must win game then ?

edited August 2006 in General Charlton
Noit sure myself, definately a must not lose though.

This will be a good test of Dowies so called motivational ability. Team appears low in confidence now, and Curbs was never great at rallying a side after a couple of poor results.

If we come out firing and either determined to give Bolton a real battle, or pick a formation to stretch the game wide, then i will be feeling a lot better even if we don't get a result.

Comments

• I'd say yes.

I break the season into 6 game blocks and look for 7 points from each set of 6 games. I'd therefore look at beating Bolton and Portsmouth and maybe nicking a draw at Villa.

If we could do that I'd breathe a whole lot easier.
  • Think we need to get something out of it. Despite their result last night, I can't see us getting anything out of Chelsea....
  • I think for confidence sake we at the prefer not to lose stage at the moment. After about four or five defeats back to back that's must win stage IMHO.
  • I wouldn't panic just yet if you don't get 3 points on saturday. (easy for me to say i know, not being a charlton fan and all).

The fixture list has been very unfair on you, all 4 of your openers are difficult games, and if your honest you'd write 2 off as losses straight away (Man U & Chelsea).
    Bolton are a strong side, regular top half of the table team. If it was a team expected to struggle then yes, it would be a must win game. But not a team that is expected, and more than likely will be challenging for a top 6 finish.
  • Mate, they are our extreme bogey team!

How ya doing Mortain??
  • fair points Mortain.

The problem is we had already wrote off two of the games, now we are desperate to get anything out of the last one of the four.

And Bolton are not a side we have done well against lately...
  • I think bolton are everyones bogey team, we always lose to them (except in FA cup replays!!). I'm good mate, you? Hungover today?

Your still in a period of transition. A New manager with new coaching staff, new players arrived in the past few weeks that need to gel etc, coupled with your opening games getting points on the board early was always going to be a struggle.

I personally think and hope you'll turn bolton over.
    If you don't, could be dangerous if panic sets in with the fans already.
  • Your right there, my step dad is an arsenil fan and he hates Bolt-on too, saying stelios scores for fun against em!

Bit groggy this morning, fixed by the early trip to the Valley Cafe, then on to work so not bad, it was a team lunch thingy today and we went to a Chinese at half 12 on Greenwich high Road which made me feel bad again, but once i eat some of the food i was right as rain (sp). You have no idea how wet i was last night walking up! Soaked to the core! I might start a 'who got soaked last night thread'. Feck it i will!

Let me tell you, that a 1-1 draw with Bolt-on is the best we can hope for! There's optimism for ya! lol
  • [cite]Posted By: Mortain[/cite]I think bolton are everyones bogey team, we always lose to them (except in FA cup replays!!). I'm good mate, you? Hungover today?

Your still in a period of transition. A New manager with new coaching staff, new players arrived in the past few weeks that need to gel etc, coupled with your opening games getting points on the board early was always going to be a struggle.

I personally think and hope you'll turn bolton over.
    If you don't, could be dangerous if panic sets in with the fans already.

Best post of the day, and it takes an outside view to get some prespective on it
  • Agreed, but i know full well he would be feeling the same un-nerving feeling if the situation was his club.

We all know that not only did we have a terrible back half of the season results wise, performances were even worse. The reaction when we heard that Curblishley was going was one of relief, not because we had grown sick of the bloke, but because we knew unless big changes were made we were in for a very difficult season.

A poor pre-season and the two defeats so far leads you to think this still very much looks that side that finished last season so poorly. We may well have a new roadsweeper, but it looks like he is using the same broom.

The internet, Sky and the Premiership has made everything so instant, including reactions. Three points is vital on Saturday now just to get some belief into not just the players, but the whole club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Other than Carson all the players that finished last night's game were with us last season.