Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jonjo Shelvey

Comments

• The game has changed so, so much in terms of what people think is a red card. A Watford player did a worse one tonight and was also not punished
  • its a warning to let him know hes in a game.

Pogba rose to it and gave a bit back later in the game.

Old School
  • Personally, Pogber is touted as one of the most powerful Prem players but goes down as if shot if you brush his arm. Good on you Jonjo. He'll feel that in the morning.
  • Booking for me
  • Would have been a very harsh red
  • Nasty, but not quite a red.

We do need an orange card where a player goes to the sin bin for 20 minutes.

The Deeney kick tonight against Bournemouth (Yellow) and Brady poor tackle against Huddersfield (red) were both orange cards.
  • Not that it matters much, but did he even touch him? To me that clip isn’t quite clear if his studs made any contact with Pogba.
  • Going for the ball, made to look worse by the player turning his body to shield the ball. Shelvey coming from a long way back though, should've anticipated the ball wasn't really winnable. Clear foul, silly challenge, yellow card.
  • edited January 2019

Nasty, but not quite a red.

The Deeney kick tonight against Bournemouth (Yellow) and Brady poor tackle against Huddersfield (red) were both orange cards.

No we dont, we really dont, it would just cause more confusion and inconsistency and would be used as an easy option to a red. yellow and red system perfectly fine if and when consistently applied.
  • Sponsored links:

• Halix said:

No we dont, we really dont, it would just cause more confusion and inconsistency and would be used as an easy option to a red. yellow and red system perfectly fine if and when consistently applied.
    Just wait till next seasons Prem when VAR comes in. Managers screaming for replay after replay after replay. First few weeks will be madness.
  • edited January 2019
    Absolutely criminal (lack of) tracking back for Man U’s second goal.

And some wanted him on the plane to Russia..

• edited January 2019
    In an international game, that's a red card and that's why he won't play for England again.
  • that and he's not good enough
  • edited January 2019

that and he's not good enough

If you'd have said this a few years ago, loads of people would start going mad and accuse you of baiting Uncle.
  • He should stick to being Harry's sworn enemy.
  • edited January 2019
    Uncle......Mmmmmm.
    Was always ready to jump down anyone’s throat at the merest hint of criticism regarding Jonjo, even when posters were trying to point out things that could be improved in his game and temperament on the pitch. I know I did once regarding him being lucky not to get a red card at Orient for a really unnecessary intentionaly spiteful tackle......a view shared on the day by Colin (Paddy) Powell, Paul Went and Keith Peacock......but uncle wouldn’t have any of it.
    Quite a few of us got into uncalled for spats with him back in the day.
    He (uncle), was never a true Addick anyway.
    PS.....I think Jonjo is a great player and at his best was deserving of a place in the England set up.
  • Uncle......Mmmmmm.
    Was always ready to jump down anyone’s throat at the merest hint of criticism regarding Jonjo, even when posters were trying to point out things that could be improved in his game and temperament on the pitch. I know I did once regarding him being lucky not to get a red card at Orient for a really unnecessary intentionaly spiteful tackle......a view shared on the day by Colin (Paddy) Powell, Paul Went and Keith Peacock......but uncle wouldn’t have any of it.
    PS.....I think Jonjo is a great player and at his best was deserving of a place in the England set up.

He never claimed to be an Addick of any type, he was quite open about being a hammer.

I also don't think it's unreasonable for anyone to back a family member, if you can't have rose tinted specs about family, when can you?
  • Uncle......Mmmmmm.

He never claimed to be an Addick of any type, he was quite open about being a hammer.

I also don't think it's unreasonable for anyone to back a family member, if you can't have rose tinted specs about family, when can you?
    True, but he often found criticism when none was intended.....OTT super sensitive is how I would describe him.

• Sponsored links:

• Absolutely criminal (lack of) tracking back for Man U’s second goal.

He was 10 yds behind and chasing Pogba, Rashford, and Lukaku wasn't he from memory. Just think he wasn't quick enough rather than stopped.

Great counter attack, only from memory watching the game, haven't seen a replay mind you.
  • People weren't just offering constructive feedback on his nephew though were they, it was a lot of "Shelvey is fucking shit" "Shelvey is a thug" I don't blame @uncle one jot for reacting and I'd do the same if people on the internet were saying what they were and I'd also probably lose the patience to tell the difference between constructive criticism and idiots being brave behind a keyboard or mobile phone.

I've always rated Jonjo Shelvey and whilst his uncle is a mate I'm not biased to the point of not seeing flaws as I saw Jonjo break into our side before me and his uncle were drinking buddies
  • Halix said:

Better option would be that 2nd yellow means 10 minute sin bin.
  • It's late, but the ball was at thigh height and that's where Shelvey's foot was as Pogba turned away from him.
  • Considering Jonjo has just returned from injury I thought he played a very good game, apart from the tackle on Pogba. He has a great eye for the killer pass and was the most threatening player on the pitch wearing barcodes. I’d like to see him have a run in the England team but doubt he is in the clique.
  • Shelvey needs other players to run and tackle for him but makes up for it with his creativity when he's on form. He's the type of player who's always going to polarise fans.
  • Carter said:

People weren't just offering constructive feedback on his nephew though were they, it was a lot of "Shelvey is fucking shit" "Shelvey is a thug" I don't blame @uncle one jot for reacting and I'd do the same if people on the internet were saying what they were and I'd also probably lose the patience to tell the difference between constructive criticism and idiots being brave behind a keyboard or mobile phone.

I've always rated Jonjo Shelvey and whilst his uncle is a mate I'm not biased to the point of not seeing flaws as I saw Jonjo break into our side before me and his uncle were drinking buddies

Yes I could understand it if it was uncle, but it was his mates. Jumping on even constructive comments. It was a bizarre atmosphere for a forum.
  • Shelvey needs other players to run and tackle for him but makes up for it with his creativity when he's on form. He's the type of player who's always going to polarise fans.

There aren't many players in the modern game who teams are built around. De Bruyne, Silva, Hazard, Salah, Eriksen etc etc are all not just gifted players but ones who work relentlessly for the team and channel their energies into doing not only what they do they best but also what they don't do so well.

Shelvey is a quality "quarter back" but there is much more to being a complete midfielder in the PL than the ability to see and deliver a pass. He could be playing for a top six team - perhaps the move to Liverpool just came too early or he just didn't use the experience to learn from say someone like Gerrard.

There has to be a reason why he has spent the last five seasons at struggling sides like Newcastle and Swansea.
  • Absolutely criminal (lack of) tracking back for Man U’s second goal.

He was 10 yds behind and chasing Pogba, Rashford, and Lukaku wasn't he from memory. Just think he wasn't quick enough rather than stopped.

Great counter attack, only from memory watching the game, haven't seen a replay mind you.
    Nope no defense, guilty as charged, he shirked it. That and the studs up assault into Pogba's calf are just 2 reasons why JS is proper lucky to still be coining it at a big club like Newcastle. Without a very serious attitude adjustment his best days are already behind him. Criminal waste of talent.
  • He's shite.