Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonjo Shelvey

Comments

• Options
    Southgate won't pick him for England after his charge for racially abusive language. Think the FA still remember the John Terry - Anton Ferdinand incident far too well.

Its a shame as he has merited a call up on account of his performances but I struggle to justify how someone can be a representative of a national team at a world cup with that charge.

Also think its worth noting that the same newspapers calling for his recall will be the same ones that will dig him out to cause a shitstorm and unsettle the squad.
  • Options
    I do subscribe to the idea that sticking with the status quo isn't going to get us anywhere. 4-4-2, 4-5-1 will see us out at round of 16 at best as per usual.

That's part of the reason I've enjoyed seeing Southgate try new formations and tactics.

It points to him potentially taking more risks. It could go wrong, we crash and burn but it could click and go brilliantly right.

Those are the slightly silly reasons I'm up for giving the likes of Shelvey a chance.
  • Options
    Football is a team game and all about the blend.

Shelvey, with ball winners and runners around him, offers a dimension few if any other English players can which, as @Grapevine49 said rather more succinctly :wink: , is the difference between winning and losing at international level.
  • Options
    His pass to Matt Ritchie for one of Newcastle's goals away to Bournemouth earlier in the season was world class.

He was brilliant for England under Hodgson pre-Euros. I'm not comparing him to Pirlo, but that's the kind of role he could play for us.

Sadly I don't think Southgate will take him.
  • Options
    Shelvey is the only midfielder I have seen this year that can switch the game from defence to attack in an instant,the fact he does not have better goal assist record is due to the lack of quality in front of him.I could imagine Vardy and Kane being delighted with the service he would provide.Henderson,Livermore ,Dier,even Ali at times are little more than efficient safety first sideways backwards players.we need something different.
  • Options

Seen some comparisons between Shelvey with Lallana or Alli in terms of goals and assists but he's not competing for a place behind the striker. The Livermore and Henderson spots are where Jonjo is needed at the very least as a plan b imo

Play the Spurs system to suit Harry Kane wouldnt be a bad idea

Dele Alli | Kyle Walker etc. will already be aware of that, yet Shelvey would be ideal in the Eriksen type position with Sterling a better option than Son... Its then between Dier | Henderson etc. to fight for that Holding Midfielder role
  • Options

Seen some comparisons between Shelvey with Lallana or Alli in terms of goals and assists but he's not competing for a place behind the striker. The Livermore and Henderson spots are where Jonjo is needed at the very least as a plan b imo

Shelvey aside I don't know how either of those two continue to make England squads.
  • Options
    Shelvey doesn't have many assists, but DOES provide many the assists to the assister, i.e. he plays the through ball to a runner who then crosses to the goalscorer.
  • Options
    It looks like we may play with 3 in midfield, those should be 3 of these 4: Shelvey Wilshire Ox Lallana.

Henderson/livermore etc are nowhere near good enough imo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Shelvey doesn't have many assists, but DOES provide many the assists to the assister, i.e. he plays the through ball to a runner who then crosses to the goalscorer.

This.
  • Options

It looks like we may play with 3 in midfield, those should be 3 of these 4: Shelvey Wilshire Ox Lallana.

You need a hard worker/ball carrier alongside those players. Someone willing to sit and do the hard work while the others create. That's why Hendo or dier will play IMO. Livermore is pointless though.
  • Options
    Forgetting his excellent range of passing recently, have anyone actually seen his work off the ball recently? He has been excellent with his positioning and tackling and played a vital part of some of there excellent results.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Is Shelvey a gamble ?
    Along with sicknote Wilshere,
    Hart has turned into calamity James and Buckland or Pope are gambles. Pickford has the shirt.
    Dyer, Jones, and Smalling, Keane or Cahill are all liabilities and for all his so called class Stones is 3rd or 4th choice at City.
    Rose is now a reserve, plus Shaw cares more about money than playing regularly.
    Gomez needs to stay fit, Walker is great going forward but a mediocre defender.
    Henderson is average but still better than Livermore.
    Ali, Kane, Vardy, Rashford, Lingard and Ox are decent, and I heard on the grapevine would welcome Jon-Jo Shelvey's inclusion.

Maybe with lower expectations we can over achieve for a change and get to a semi ?

Nah, I don't think so either.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

In a midfield 3 you need two ball-winners and 1 more attacking player.

Oxlade Chamberlain is the perfect attacking player in that midfield. Dier is a good ball-winner. So the other player needs to be defensively minded.

Shelvey isn't good enough defensively to warrant a place.
  • Options

In a midfield 3 you need two ball-winners and 1 more attacking player.

Oxlade Chamberlain is the perfect attacking player in that midfield. Dier is a good ball-winner. So the other player needs to be defensively minded.

Shelvey isn't good enough defensively to warrant a place.
    In a squad you need different types of players to give you options.

Shelvey’s range of passing is good enough to warrant a place.
  • Options
    Anyone who thinks Shelvey is a risk due to discipline but thinks Ali is not as much a risk is crazy

Jonjo offers something totally different in his playing ability than what we currently have

Would have him every day over Henderson
  • Options

Anyone who thinks Shelvey is a risk due to discipline but thinks Ali is not as much a risk is crazy

Jonjo offers something totally different in his playing ability than what we currently have

Would have him every day over Henderson

Alli's quality outweighs his risk.

Shelvey is a midtable Premier League player.
  • Options
    Really disagree there in tournament football you can’t carry anyone who is a discipline risk no matter how good they are

If it’s ok for Ali to be in the team with his issues then there’s no excuse for Shelvey not too

On footballing ability he is up there with being good enough to change games with a pass and a bit of vision

• Options

Really disagree there in tournament football you can’t carry anyone who is a discipline risk no matter how good they are

If it’s ok for Ali to be in the team with his issues then there’s no excuse for Shelvey not too

On footballing ability he is up there with being good enough to change games with a pass and a bit of vision

Fully agree
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely the England squad has room for Shelvey, not necessary regular starter, but his passing could be very useful against certain teams and if things are not going well, could be brought on to open up a game
  • Options
    If Livermore goes to the World Cup ahead of Shelvey, it’s a disgrace. Yes he has a bit of a discipline record but that hasn’t came up for a little while now and in a short tournament, you also need someone who can open up teams in a single moment. Shelvey can do that, Livermore can’t.

I fully agree with the comment of Vardy and Kane would love the service that Jonjo can provide. We spend too much time going sideways, he can look at in behind straight away and create something when others would think more in the possession side. Even Sterling would appreciate it. I am not saying he is anywhere near as good as De Bruyne but they are similar in their vision.

For me, Shelvey is a real option for the World Cup and would be foolish to disregard him.
  • Options
    Looks a bad injury for the Ox tonight. I hope he is back quickly as England need him for the World Cup.

Could open the door for Shelvey. I am sure he would not have wanted to get a place due to an injury, but it happens.
  • Options
    Ox out. Is Winks injured?
  • Options
    Lucky not to be sent off tonight, dreadful challenge on Pogba. Somehow the ref didn't even book him for this.

• Options

Lucky not to be sent off tonight, dreadful challenge on Pogba. Somehow the ref didn't even book him for this.

Ouch. If he wasnt even booked then i think he could be in for some retrospective action from the league.
  • Options
    That’s a shockingly bad challenge