Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Call That Support

13»

Comments

• I hope we're able to build on these and other similar projects in the future. Unfortunately, it seems this place of late has descended into sniping and pure negativity for negativity's sake. And that leaves me disillussioned. (I'm not aiming that personally at you Tel whatsoever, just a general comment).

I'm sure a few wins would put that right. It's certainly noticeable that after a defeat there are considerably more posts than after a win, and I think Henry mentioned in one of his columns that the club get more complaints after a defeat than after a win.

Part of the problem is that we need a few more "Charlton" players - too often over the last few years we've had a revolving door policy and such a turnover of playing staff meaning that only Holland, Sam, Thomas, Youga and Fortune have any kind of history with the club, none of whom are out and out club players, Holland is probably the only grafter in there, but the others have hardly been regulars, therefore there is little for the fans to identify with. Go back a few years and we had players like Kiely, Stuart, Rufus, Brown, Kinsella etc all of whom had their dodgy moments but you could at least look back and say they wore the club shirt with some pride. I suspect many of us regard the current crop nad many of those who've played over the previous season or two as mercanaries content to pick up a salary whether we win or lose, and no matter how well or poorly thery play.

That and I also suspect that the years of prem football has bred an expectation that we belong in Premiership and our season in the CCC would be a temporary blip and therefore the fans expect victory now and to dominate other teams etc and walk away with promotion. With the way the club is structured and financed I don't think we'll see the days of 2000-20003 back until maybe we've had either a couple of years of solid consolidation around a few players who appear to be playing for pride and their careers rather than their salaries, or until Pardew finds the correct and hitherto elusive formula to construct a successful team from a somewhat bloated squad. Right now it looks as though he's shuffling the pack more in hope than expectation and I think that is filtering through to the fans.

Overall I'm even more grateful for Darren Bent, in hindsight his goalscoring ability papered over quite a few cracks. If for whatever reason he hadn't signed for us, maybe we'd have been in this situation a couple of years earlier than now.
  • Couple of great posts there Black Forest and Lookout. Im all for unity, always have been, but its quite devastating to see the crowds dwindle away like they did in the last 10 mins of the game against Wolves (especially as so much time was spent discussing the booing), and I for one am fearing for the worst for next season. I dont think Ive ever called outright for Pardew's head, but as I have said many times, I wish he would keep his mouth shut....especially where the fans are concerned. I do however think that the TEAM (whichever one that is) owe us a performance. Pardew of late has become the new "Tinkerman" and the results, and in particular the performances have been pretty poor.
  • Having met Paddy McCarthy for the first time last night at Bromley I can start to see in him the 'Charlton' characteristics referred to above.

He appears to be one of the most vocal in the dressing room. If Pardew sees him as a regular centre back then I see him being given the captaincy next year.