Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Halford

edited March 2008 in General Charlton
The geezer is absolute f###### crap.

At fault for the 1st and 3rd goals I can't see what Pardew sees in him I really can't. Waste of an effing loan aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Comments

• Options
    Ledge he looks much better as a right midfielder.

The whole of our defence + fortune is pony.
  • Options
    Our top goal scorer over the last two matches - maybe since we got him but can't be bothered to look :-)
  • Options
    u r talking sh1t if Sodge had stayed with his man instead f drifting out he wouldn't have left Halford exposed
  • Options
    You have to go back to pre-Lennie Lawrence for a defence as consistently woeful, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    He certainly is a very strange right back - a big lump and no real pace.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]The geezer is absolute f###### crap.

At fault for the 1st and 3rd goals I can't see what Pardew sees in him I really can't. Waste of an effing loan aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I thought the first goal was down to Paddy letting Ebanks- blake get away from him as indeed was the second although the second was at the Jimmy seed End and I'm in the North so perhaps I mistook Paddy for Halford.

Don't think so though.
  • Options
    the first was definitely halford. the secod was paddy. dunno about the third - i'd gone home by then!
  • Options
    the first was definitely Paddy. he left halford with two men
  • Options
    I thought he had an ok game. Scored a goal. Played one or two cutting passes. And he did show some pace in a tackle back.

I think he seems to get some undeserved stick.

Sodje worries me.
  • Options
    We were giving him some stick in the pub beforehand but have to say didn't think that overall he had a bad game today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: red_murph[/cite]We were giving him some stick in the pub beforehand but have to say didn't think that overall he had a bad game today.

He was in the pub!!!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]u r talking sh1t if Sodge had stayed with his man instead f drifting out he wouldn't have left Halford exposed

tosh

he got sucked in instead of marking the man

3rd goal we just equalised he's nowhere to be seen when they attack and the ball comes in from the right back slot
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KenTred[/cite]the first was definitely Paddy. he left halford with two men

Absolute tosh! What bloody game where you watching. Paddy was out in the left back position and Sodje was in the middle. Halford slips and gets turned - but it's Paddy's fault is it?
  • Options
    knew it was one of the centre halves fault and not Halford, who was left with two.

thanks for your kind words re my posts!
  • Options
    and by the way Mccarthy is not a quarter the player Fortune is and is a good example of the dumbing down of the squad that has caused pardew so many problems
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KenTred[/cite]and by the way Mccarthy is not a quarter the player Fortune is and is a good example of the dumbing down of the squad that has caused pardew so many problems

Are you going to the Bromley meet on Tuesday. If not shall I ask Paddys view on that statement?

Personally I think they both have that unfortunate trait that if they make an error it tends to lead to a goal conceded. Maybe we just have had a season where nothing has gone right for us.
  • Options
    lol yes please ask for me!

I think you are right that this has been a frustrating season and perhaps unavoidable after the heights of the last ten years or so
  • Options
    Paddy Mac's mistake started the first Wolves goal and ask yourself after that why was Halford left with 2 players. Even if he had managed to hold the player off the second Wolves player behind him would have nailed it.

McCarthy will always get found out when he is up against mobile players rather than the Donkey centre forwards he generally does well against. He has no pace and gets turned to easily, people here can bang on all they like about him being an improved player but you can't improve a lack of pace, you have it or you don't.

Second goal also Paddy.

NOT unfortunate trait, with Paddy I am afraid. Clubs do their homework and if they have a mobile player it's a nailed on certainty a goal will result. Our best run of not conceding a goal in games had Fortune & Sodje at centre backs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]u r talking sh1t if Sodge had stayed with his man instead f drifting out he wouldn't have left Halford exposed

tosh

he got sucked in instead of marking the man

3rd goal we just equalised he's nowhere to be seen when they attack and the ball comes in from the right back slot

Am i the only 1 who felt McCarthy could've made more of an effort for the 3rd instead of ambling back then realising Henry was behind him and........BANG, too late.
  • Options
    Its difficult to criticise a player who has worn his heart on his sleeve in the way that many of us want our charlton players to be 100% committed.

But he does appear to be 'found' out by the more pacy/classy strikers in this division. And clearly would be a problem in the prem.

But to be honest if that is where we are in terms of the quality we can afford then I would rather have Paddy in my side and see if we can battle it out with him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good post and a fair point of view. Basically most of us as fans just want honest hardworking committed players in our red shirts and I am not doubting Paddy's.

However the reality is if we are ever to get back to the Premiership the club will have to eventually replace players that have an obvious weakness. I will still get behind him when the game kicks off and he plays, as I do with players I really don't rate in the hope they will have their best game for us and prove me wrong on that day. However the club and fans should always strive for better. If we accept mediocrity that is what we will become.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]Sodje worries me.

you're not alone there, a giant in the air, absolute pony on the ground
  • Options
    Think we have missed Bougy.

Perfectly capable of the odd horlicks himself but I liked his partnership with Paddy.
  • Options
    Can't believe Halford is still getting stick - he was a candidate for our MoM yesterday. From the benefit of multiple TV replays, the first goal was due to Thatcher getting caught up field, McCarthy coming across to cover for him, leaving Halford and Sodje in the middle. Sodje wandered into no-man's land, leaving Halford with two to mark. Even then he nearly got a block in, and probably would have done but for slipping.

For the second, at first viewing I thought Paddy was well at fault. Subsequnetly it was clear that he was done by a piece of pure class from Ebanks-Blake. Can't blame Halford at all!

Third was a quick break, Sodje again in no-man's land, and McCarthy slow to react.

Please get off Halford's back - the boy is actually a talented footballer as his finish for our first goal showed. I'd be very happy for us to keep him.
  • Options
    Weegie, I agree except, where was Halford for the 3rd goal?
    Wolves broke down the left flank and he was literally nowhere to be seen, even when the ball was in the net I still couldn't see him.
  • Options
    But don't you think he's a bit .... i dunno .... "strange" for a full back weegie? I'm talking about build, pace, etc. Looks more like a centre half to me.
  • Options
    I was unimpressed by Halford again and thought he was at fault at least for the first goal, bot not seen it on telly at all. Was disappointed in Thatcher and Sodje as well yesterday.

We are not winning with the current players, so surely we should play the likes of Moo2 and Youga again now, they are hopefully our future for the next couple of years.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]But don't you think he's a bit .... i dunno .... "strange" for a full back weegie? I'm talking about build, pace, etc. Looks more like a centre half to me.

It is an interesting point. I dont think he is as short of pace as people on here make out. He outpaced a Wolves player to a challenge last night. I think he might make a very good centre half though.

I really think that the fans have been on his back far too quickly. Nobody was giving him stick against Palace.
  • Options
    Halford is evidently not a world beater - that's why he's presently playing for Charlton in the Championship.

People are very quick to pick up on mistakes but they rarely give him credit for what he does well - a searing long range effort yesterday that the keeper brilliantly just managed to fingertip on to the bar, let alone 2 goals in 2 games that any striker would have been proud of.

He's an honest good standard pro, only 23, recently experienced a difficult family bereavement -yet has shown he's thoroughly committed to the cause.

Let's focus on his qualities and give credit where it's due.
  • Options
    Bit of a dodgy goal celebration on him though!