Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Player conduct

Is there anyone who felt Steve Bennett was wrong to send Mascherano off?

As much as i knew it would instantly ruin the game, i couldn't help saying 'good' when he sent him off.

Comments

• Whilst i feel it was a bit harsh as Mascherano was only asking why he'd booked Torres, i suppose the ref has to draw the line somewhere and he had moaned 5 or 6 times previously. I do find it strange that when he'd previously told the ref to f*ck off, nothing was done yet he is eventually sent off for asking a question.
    I still don't know why the ref booked Torres though prior to Mascherano's sending off.
    They do need to bring in a rule whereby only the captain can talk to the ref, i think it was Barnet who did it earlier on this season after a few cards for dissent and it worked really well for them.
  • Thing is the fans want their players to moan to the ref, the managers don't want their players booked or sent off for moaning but will not blame the player but the ref, the TV and media (especially ex-players) will blame the ref and not the players while the fans want to be able to abuse the ref but they don't like it if the other team's players do it.

And please don't mention F******* rugby where you can gouge someone's eye out, rake their face with you studs and throw a series of punches just as long as you say "sorry sir" afterwards.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

And please don't mention F******* rugby where you can gouge someone's eye out, rake their face with you studs and throw a series of punches just as long as you say "sorry sir" afterwards.

I've seen people sin binned and sent off for those offences in Rugby, and caught through citing afterwards, something football won't bring in.
  • Maschaerano had been chipping away at Bennett all game after his foul and Bennett told him 3 or 4 times to stop and he never listened. On tow occassions it was clear he told Bennett to f***off.

It has to stop because at Sunday league level it is 10 times worse and some players have even assaulted refs -= I have seen it - I know refs that have been. I have been lucky as a ref because I am a big lad and players have tended to be a bit more wary BUT I have had it and when a player chips away at you constantly there is only so much you will take.

Unfortunately Maschareno was the victim of Ashley Coles disgraceful show of petulance.

What makes me laugh is the pundits etc are all saying just have it as the captain talking to the ref which is a good idea as long as it is not that **** John Terry he's the worst.
  • What pisses me off is that the scousers are all bleating on about the sending off when it could have been a lot worse if Rooney had gone down in the first five minutes.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Thing is the fans want their players to moan to the ref, the managers don't want their players booked or sent off for moaning but will not blame the player but the ref, the TV and media (especially ex-players) will blame the ref and not the players while the fans want to be able to abuse the ref but they don't like it if the other team's players do it.

I dont want our players to moan to the ref. I want the ref with his assistants to be shown some respect by players,managers,media and fans. I also want some consistency from the authorities. Mascherano got sent off because he was an idiot but clearly the refs were on the case this weekend because of the Ashley Cole incident. So Cole got to play in a win over Arsenal and Man Utd benefit from Mascherano's sending off.

And Boro and us with our frivolous complaints. Its utterly pathetic.

Im sorry Henry but Rugby officialdom is far superior and the sin bin idea directly impacts on the game being played. Its not snobby its just plain common sense.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Thing is the fans want their players to moan to the ref, the managers don't want their players booked or sent off for moaning but will not blame the player but the ref, the TV and media (especially ex-players) will blame the ref and not the players while the fans want to be able to abuse the ref but they don't like it if the other team's players do it.

I don't want Charlton players moaning at the ref. It's pointless cos he isn't going to change his mind. It used to really wind me up when Reidy used to do it.

There should be more cards dished out for dissent, maybe then managers would focus on making sure their players have a bit of self discipline.

The intimidation of officials isn't tolerated in any other sport, it amazes me that it is allowed to go on in football. Just a refelction of society in general I suppose.
  • Can't stand Bennett but from what I've seen since, I think Mascherano can have few complaints. Whether or not Torres was harshly treated has f**k all to do with him and he was behaving like a spoilt kid by constantly ranting at Bennett.

I thought it was quite unlike Mascherano to behave like that so he was definitey having having a bad day. He should watch that again and hold his hands up and admit he behaved like a twat.
  • I personally think he should have been arrested, for having an offensive set of teeth at a football ground!
  • edited March 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

I've seen people sin binned and sent off for those offences in Rugby, and caught through citing afterwards, something football won't bring in.

Sin binned! That would be a three game ban minimum in football plus a big contribution to the decline of western civilisation by setting a bad example to the kids.

And wasn't it Wilkinson who got away with a headbut in the 6 nations? No citing for him.

Strange
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]

I don't want Charlton players moaning at the ref. It's pointless cos he isn't going to change his mind. It used to really wind me up when Reidy used to do it.

WHich is why I hear "you don't know what you're doing" and "wanker, wanker" aimed at the ref at most games and regular stick for the refs on this board.

We as fans don't respect the ref.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wilkinson was accused of going high into a tackle, which went to a citing panel, and he was found not guilty.

Nothing wrong with players being sin binned, it takes the sting out of a situation better then a yellow card in football, or even a straight red which can ruin the game
  • And another thing. Why do red cards "ruin a game"? They are great especially when it's the other side getting one or, as at Bristol City, you hold out for a last minute winner with 10 men.

Red cards do not ruin games. FACT ; -)

OPINION
  • [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]

OPINION

Red Cards Ruin Games

MEDIA CLICHE
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]

OPINION

Red Cards Ruin Games

MEDIA CLICHE
    More importantly, it's not in the referee's remit to worry about whether or not the game is being ruined, he/she is there to uphold the laws and spirit of the game.

How many times have you heard anyone say a player ruined the game by committing an offence which will result in him being sent off? No, me neither.
  • Are these more lyrics from Billy Bragg.........

Anyway I hate the way that Richard Keys Sky chap cant wait to jump onto any issue other than the football. Thought Andy Gray (commentator version) was also a complete idiot.

Anyway we must give credit to Benitez. He did see the incident unlike Messrs Grant and Wenger.
  • I thought it poor management from Benitez, he'd been booked once for a late foul on Scholes (no argument about that) and then mouthed off to Bennett several times after that, I presume that Bennett gave him one last warning and when Mascherano couldn't keep his mouth shut out came the yellow card, this time for dissent. The dumb thing was that Ferdinand had just fouled Torres and Liverpool had got a free-kick, so what was he trying to achieve? Presumably a booking for Ferdinand?

Thinking back to the Reading game last year - Song was subbed after receiving a yellow when it looked like he was in danger of collecting a second, Benitez seeing that Mascherano was perhaps a little too pumped up for the match should have subbed him.
  • Its all good entertainement for the media. If there was a real will to stamp it out, sky the paymasters would demand that something was done but it adds to their coverage the number of minutes it has filled for them, both the Cole and Macherano incident. it does not attract attention when you report all 22 players behaved impecably. As for the FA and starting their respect campaign at grass roots level and while I am on a rant - the PFA as ever not blaoming their members, but suggesting a 1 m no go area around the ref,if they want that then tell their members to observe it. The Head of the PFA - forgotten his name is such a supercilious git.......
  • No that little div was asking for it about time all of it was stamped out from top to bottom problem is the poor refs in the sat and sunday morniings would proberly end up on the end of a right hook for booking and sending people off for swearing, I was hot headed as a player against other players but i never got sent off or booked for disent,

Well not after i told the first lady ref i ever had ref a game that she knew feck all and should be washing up (i was 14 at the time) after i was booked for a hard but well no it was a bad foul.

but it served me a lesson throughout my adult and early teen life i never picked up another one for being rude
  • In my experience as a level 4 referee there are two 'types' of dissent. The one where a players says one thing that is out of order and worthy of a caution. The other is when a player keeps chipping away at you with little comments about any decision against his team. It appears that he was shown the yellow card for seemingly enquiring about a decision but if it's the 5th, 6th, 10th time it happens your patience just wears out. I know I've done it!!! I think Torres' yellow card was probably as a result of Mascherano's earlier constant dissent and referee Bennett's tether had worn thin and was determined to stamp out any future dissent. Mascherano was asking for trouble. You run 20 yards as he did and you're asking for trouble. What I find astonishing is Andy Gray's view that Steve Bennett has a responsibility to keep 22 players on the field of play even in the face of severe provocation. This is NONSENSE pure and simple. As CfW says the referee's responsibility is to up hold the law and protect the players' health not to keep 22 players on. Also Mascherano in the papers STILL going on about how he was hard done by and how he doesn't know what he as sent off for....if you don't know by now then I don't he ever will!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Liverpool looked a bit too pumped up for the game - if they had any chance of winning the Premiership they had to beat Man U and also I think this was Benitez's 8th game against Man U and like Curb's record vs Man U at Charlton, not a single victory. I think that got to them and fair enough Man U are their biggest rivals.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Liverpool looked a bit too pumped up for the game - if they had any chance of winning the Premiership they had to beat Man U and also I think this was Benitez's 8th game against Man U and like Curb's record vs Man U at Charlton, not a single victory. I think that got to them and fair enough Man U are their biggest rivals.
    At least we scored against them - i'm not sure if Liverpool have even scored against Man U while Benny has been in charge?

Stand to be corrected though.
  • Best referee by a mile I have had this season on Sunday's was an ex pro his name is Colin Powell some of you may know him as Paddy. Let the game flow, total grasp of the laws of the game, but most of all had something most referees are not allowed to use Common Sense.
  • Did he moan when you done a slide tackle and cut up the pitch though?!