Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Compared to last season

edited November 2006 in General Charlton
substituting Reading for Birmingham, Sheff Utd for Sunderland, Watford for West Brom

Sat Aug 19 West Ham United A L 1-3 (drew 0-0, -1 point)
Wed Aug 23 Manchester United H L 0-3 (lost 3-1, same points)
Sat Aug 26 Bolton Wanderers H W 2-0 (lost 1-0, +3 points)
Sat Sep 09 Chelsea A L 1-2 (drew 1-1, -1 point)
Sat Sep 16 Portsmouth H L 0-1 (won 2-1, -3 points)
Sat Sep 23 Aston Villa A L 0-2 (lost 1-0, same points)
Sat Sep 30 Arsenal H L 1-2 (lost 1-0, same points)
Mon Oct 16 Fulham A L 1-2 (lost 2-1, same points)
Sat Oct 21 Watford H D 0-0 (v West Brom, drew 0-0, same points)
Sat Oct 28 Newcastle United A D 0-0 (drew 0-0, same points)
Sat Nov 04 Manchester City H W 1-0 (lost 5-2, +3 points)
Sat Nov 11 Wigan Athletic A L 2-3 (lost 3-0, same points)
Sat Nov 18 Reading 15.00 A ( v Birmingham won 1-0, )
Sat Nov 25 Everton 12.45 H ( drew 0-0 )

By this estimate we're actually a point up on the same games last season, although admittedly if we swapped the assignment of the promoted teams around it'd be 2 points down. We need 4 points from the next couple of games to stay on course, although that may be asking a bit too much. Still not slashing my wrists yet though.

Comments

• Options
    i think we've collectively tried to stay positive from the start, but i think its only to be expected that a few are starting to twitch a bit.

People saying we are down already are ridiculous, but what does concern me is looking at the table and trying to find three teams worse than us we could climb above...
  • Options
    Cant have it both ways mate, if you want to compare the 2 managers there is only going to be one winner.

Lets forget the comparisons now before it gets depressing.

Saturday was awful, one of the most painful 90 minutes I have ever had watching Charlton. Knowing the oppo werent actually that good and were there for the taking if we had an ability to defend simple route one football.
  • Options
    from the snippets of commentary i was picking up that was the point that was enphasised - Wigan weren't playing well, it was the fact that Charlton were dire.

Make silly individual errors such as the three goals and you have no chance.
  • Options
    Comparing last seasons matched to this is nonsensical in my opinion....

No two seasons are the same, even with the same personal and management team.

We've got a largely different team, different backroom staff, different tactics, different (and more) injuries, different outlook etc
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]i think we've collectively tried to stay positive from the start, but i think its only to be expected that a few are starting to twitch a bit.

People saying we are down already are ridiculous, but what does concern me is looking at the table and trying to find three teams worse than us we could climb above...

Oh I can understand the twitching entirely, I've been resigned to it being a long hard season for a while now. I just don't think we're totally doomed yet, and if we go around acting like we are, then it's likely to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]Comparing last seasons matched to this is nonsensical in my opinion....

No two seasons are the same, even with the same personal and management team.

We've got a largely different team, different backroom staff, different tactics, different (and more) injuries, different outlook etc

Bit pointless maybe, but it puts it into perspective.... and also shows that we're by no means relegated yet, as some people would like to think
  • Options
    I don't think anyone would "like" to think we are already relegated, do you. Take your point though I spose. Can't help feeling a bit despondent about it all though.

People were saying that we couldnt' keep playing as well as we were without picking up results. A little voice in my head was telling me that we wouldn't keep playing so well if we didn't get results - and soon. I hope that little voice in my head is wrong!
  • Options
    Reading some posts here, and on the email list, it would certainly appear that some people do think we're already down! One suggested we should sell D Bent and Young in January to fund our drop!!

Doom and gloom, doom and gloom!
  • Options
    if we win twice we could leap up to 15th. we just need to string 2 wins together and at the same time hope that other results go in our favour. it could be a big ask, but its not impossible. if we string 2 together, this weekend, and maybe a point against everton, then a win at sheffield, we could be laughing our way up the table.

i'm not going to give in, till we get hammered by reading and sheffield in the next couple of weeks. we didn't win the wigan battle, but we've got 2 winable games coming up and then i'll consider relegation after that!!
  • Options
    Have things changed now then so that the season ends in December?!