Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs

Read in the paper today 4 pubs are closing a day .Thats very sad if true. walking through sunny Dalston today i can believe it though. If you look up from the street you can see where the old boozers used to be. Part of our tradition going.

Comments

• Options
    look at the east end gh pubs are closing down in droves,no idea why?
  • Options
    and woolwich.
  • Options
    i wonder why?
  • Options
    Beer is about 4 times the cost in pubs. I personally don't drink much at home and go out for a few social pints mostly at weekends. Guinness will be about £3.20 a pint when the budget comes into force. People just can't afford it.
    I pulled up to my old local for a swifty after the cinema on Saturday night at about 11.00pm and nearly drove off because there was only one car in the car park. There were five people in the place, it used to be heaving seven days a week.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Something to do with the religon that is practiced around those areas that dont allow there people to drink booze. But that is just nonsense to the people of the left when its fact.

This Labour government makes me laugh when they want to get the British identity back into people. After spending their tender in power wiping the UK identity and characteristics of its people through mass immigration from the EU and everywhere else, giving Scotland, N Ireland and Wales another layer of government and giving more powers to the EU now wants to get people to swear to the Queen is a joke and a front. They might aswell get people to swear alligence to the EU president.

The Labour party will evetially lose out to George Galloways Respect party in these East End areas like they have lost in Scotland to the SNP in the devolved (sic) parliment and its all down to their own making whilst fragmenting this country. Galloway is giving up his seat in Tower Hamlets Bow in the next election and he is standing in the neighbouring Canning Town election and has a very good chance of winning that seat from Labour due to its consititants. So that will be two seats to Respect Party, and fair play to Galloway it is a democracy.
  • Options
    my thoughts,they have made it a taboo subject.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
  • Options
    No smoking and peoples drinking habits changing have had an effect.

As for the tax on booze being put in to "combat" underage and binge drinking dont make me laugh FFS they aint even bothering to use stealth now its just bang "have it".

That new Tesco in Woolwich will be like tha Alamo ! I remember Woolwich when it used to the place to go for the bigger stores ! When all the rest of Londons sh*t pits were having money thrown at em what the hell happened to Woolwich ?
  • Options
    Dont see how upping the tax across the board will stop underage and binge drinking. Kids and teenagers these days have plenty of cash to throw around... I few pence here and there won't make a difference. How about upping the legal age for drinking to 21 and make sure it's enforced
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Dont see how upping the tax across the board will stop underage and binge drinking. Kids and teenagers these days have plenty of cash to throw around... I few pence here and there won't make a difference. How about upping the legal age for drinking to 21 and make sure it's enforced

One of the less well publisised parts of the new licensing laws was that it brought in some pretty draconian penalties for pubs and off licences that sold to under 18's. The Police and local authorities already have the powers to deal with underage drinking as you say, it's a matter of using them. Saying that, I'd have no problem with the limit going up to 21, if I ran a pub, I'd do it anyway.

Upping the tax has nothing to do with underage drinking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A lot of pubs and bars claim to be over 21's only... but there's no way they enforce it, especially where girls are concerned.
  • Options
    woolwich went downhill once they shut cuffs
  • Options
    does anyone know if there are plans to open the horse and groom again? As a club there is a serious lack of pubs around the ground, we need a super pub with a big enough bar that you didnt have to que for 20mins before getting served
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CanadaAddick[/cite]does anyone know if there are plans to open the horse and groom again? As a club there is a serious lack of pubs around the ground, we need a super pub with a big enough bar that you didnt have to que for 20mins before getting served

No i cant see it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Dont see how upping the tax across the board will stop underage and binge drinking. Kids and teenagers these days have plenty of cash to throw around... I few pence here and there won't make a difference. How about upping the legal age for drinking to 21 and make sure it's enforced

During a 10 pint session it will cost an extra 40p, yeah, thats going to make a HUGE difference.