Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RIP The Welcome Inn

edited March 2008 in Not Sports Related
I drove past the Welcome Inn last night and it's now virtually been raised to the ground to make way for luxury flats. I grew up in that area and have some fond memories of the old place ranging from the children's room where my dad would put me on a Sunday lunchtime with a bottle of pop and a packet of crisps to the disco on Sunday nights. A lot more could have been done to make that into a top boozer. But alas, the brewery let it go to rack and ruin as all the breweries have done with loads of pubs in SE London.

RIP old friend

Comments

• spent a few nights in there my mum used to work there for years
  • Heard this morning that 14 pubs a day are closing in the UK

Even the good ones that are left, they muck about and ruin (The Royal Oak)
  • the brewaries are absolutely killing them. My regular is a back street pub with fair size land and right by the station. Every year they are driving the prices up to ridiculous levels, not decorating etc to try and kill the pub off so they can sell the land for a nice set of flats.

It shouldn't be allowed, yet there seems to be no regulation on what prices can be charged and what the venture capital groups that buy up the brewaries and pubs are allowed to do with them. Its such a shame.
  • In France they have zoning rules so the bakers can only be a bakers and the butchers only a butchers plus the rents are controlled. This means that every district has a set of local shops. It helps that French people are less likely to shop in Giant or whatever their version of Tesco/Sainsbury's is.

There should be similar protection here for local amenity shops and pubs especially post offices but that all went a long time ago with selling off of council houses (good idea) but not allowing the councils to build more (bad idea) and selling off school playing fields (bad idea). Don't you love the free market.

Of course the only time you have problem building flats anywhere is in the East Stand at the Valley (see the OS)
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]the brewaries are absolutely killing them. My regular is a back street pub with fair size land and right by the station. Every year they are driving the prices up to ridiculous levels, not decorating etc to try and kill the pub off so they can sell the land for a nice set of flats.

It shouldn't be allowed, yet there seems to be no regulation on what prices can be charged and what the venture capital groups that buy up the brewaries and pubs are allowed to do with them. Its such a shame.

Well, what do you expect from the Beehive!
  • The Dive, used to be my local. Now its the Star again Plumstead Common. Old school boozer and the owner is CAFC as are most the chaps there.

Ahhh the Welcome Inn, used to have lovely bit of nosebag there in my youth.