Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darren Bent - poor guy

Anyone see the reports at the weekend? Observer gave him 3 out of 10 and said the more he plays, the worse he looks. If only we could get promoted - do you think we could realistically get him back?

Also reminds me a bit of Izzy McLeod with us, though for him it was a step up, whereas Darren is a proven Prem goalscorer. Confidence is a fragile thing - especially among strikers.

Comments

• Options
    I`d love to think so Weegie but finanially it would be a big ask as I think Spurs would try to recoup most of their money.
  • Options
    They could loan him to us for a month to get his confidence back up.
  • Options
    I'd love to think with the money going up would bring we would be in a position to have a crack at signing him back. However I don't think we would be the only ones interested in his services.

And there is of course the big IF about going up.

Seriously how the funk has Marcus Bent both played more games and scored more than him?!?!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Seriously how the funk has Marcus Bent both played more games and scored more than him?!?!
    Simple:
    faceoff.jpg
  • Options
    I knew it!!!
  • Options
    I think Darren Bent is fantastic, but if we take our Charlton hats off, i cannot think of hardly any other big signings that have gone so disasterously wrong as this one, bar Shevchenko and possibly Veron.
  • Options
    Rebrov?

Seriously I agree smudge but when he went there I thought it was the worst possible club to go to. Put aside my hatred of them and still their fans have to be the least patient with players, especially £16.5 million pounds worth!
  • Options
    He should have gone back to Curbs.
  • Options
    More than twice as much as Rebrov
  • Options
    I always said he was overated with us. JFH and Marcus did all the work and Darren got on the end of a few tap ins and pens. limited player who is finished.

That was a joke but isn't this what we do to EVERY single player in the current squad when they have a bad game or make a mistake.

Looks like he made a bad move to the wrong club but I think he is young enough to get thru it. Would be great to have him back but can only see that happening in the prem and if he is willing to take a cut in wages. That he has scored so many PRem goals means that another, richer prem team will be willing to take him on ie newcastle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At the time though 10 mill I think was a huge amount especially for that bunch of delusionals.

Crespo and Mutu were shockers too for Chelski
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]That he has scored so many PRem goals means that another, richer prem team will be willing to take him on ie newcastle.

Except Newcastle might not still be in the Prem at this rate!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]richer prem team will be willing to take him on ie newcastle.

Newcastle will be in the fizzy pop next year ;-)
  • Options
    Snap!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]I think Darren Bent is fantastic, but if we take our Charlton hats off, i cannot think of hardly any other big signings that have gone so disasterously wrong as this one, bar Shevchenko and possibly Veron.

Quite. Early in the season the lower north concourse was packed when Sunderland beat them, at the final whistle I shouted up 'stayed at the Valley, you should've stayed at the Valley' thinking it would be nothing more than a blip for him.

I feel quite bad now!
  • Options
    I seem to remember Killer had a rough ride at Derby...maybe its my memory. Shame I think Dazza is a top bloke...hope it all comes good for the guy
  • Options
    Tel, Killer was pretty ropey at both Derby and Wet Sham, I think, which is why we got him back in the end!
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited March 2008
    Its weird Weegie, I always forget he went to the Spammers as well.....I just seem to remember the Daily Mirror giving him some really bad press at Derby
  • Options
    It was a big signing at the time for Derby - wasn't it £330K? A lot of money to buy someone from Charlton. I'm not much of a statto, but I have a feeling his goals/games ratio wasn't actually that bad for either of them - he just didn't really fit in. Sometimes there's no place like home...at The Valley.
  • Options
    Yeah I remember it being £330k...again at the time I thought he was worth £500k of anyones money
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I told all my yid army pals that Benty is a quality player in a shit team he shone because lets face it who else would have,

I also told them you need to play Benty for 16 games cos he will score 10 golas but he proberly wont score in 8 of them,

He never looked like a 1 in 2 goal scorer for us IMO but i always felt that spurs wouldnt give him the opportunity to miss chances where as who did he have at us to compete with poor lad totally wrong move really poor advice given to him,

it kills me to say it but for his sake and i did like him as a player and he was very positive about us as fans he should have gone to west ham spurs was never right for him he has becom the franny jeffers of the lane

come home Benty we luv ya

we know you are only getting them back for being the team that pulled the trigger and killed us but we were already dead my man they did us a favour you must move on
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]That he has scored so many PRem goals means that another, richer prem team will be willing to take him on ie newcastle.

Except Newcastle might not still be in the Prem at this rate!

True but they will still have a few bob to spend.

I think Hales was joint top scorer at West Ham with David Cross with 10 goals but wasn't seen as a West Ham player. Derby were on the slide after two titles and the Euro cup semi and Hales wasn't Kevin Hector.
  • Options
    Be fair to Benty, they've only started him in a handful of league games and have made it clear to him that he was third-choice at best - what a way to bring someone into a club.

Jol made it quite clear that he did not want him and that Bent was brought in by the football director Damian Commoli (spelling?) and so went out of his way to make it clear that Keane-Berbatov was his preferred pairing.

Shocking treatment of a quality player and I don't doubt that he will bite them in the arse when they let him go, especially when Berbatov leaves too and they can't find a goalscorer.
  • Options
    absolutly love benty and all he stands for, quality player for us, qulaity fella to boot, so sad that he is getting that sort of write up in the papers, but it is just plain and simple bad luck for us that in life, to go forward it normally means moving on. With hindsight, he should of probably gone to another club not spurs cos of the obvious abundance of talent up front they had at the time, but i tell thee berba and keane cannot keep going without injury, and if one does i am certain he can do well there. I will never write him off cos imo he is quality.

I hope he comes back if it dont work out at yids, i would have him back in an absolute flash. Dont worry benty my former stalk victim at east greenwich 2 years ago you will be ok and will get back on the goals, but if not come home dude,one day!
  • Options
    You could see Bent leading the line - and scoring lots of goals again - for a team like Man City if a certain Swede wasn't the manager there.
  • Options
    another team ruining the blossoming career of one of our players after we have nurtured them to greatness.
  • Options
    Ollie wants his Baby B baack!
  • Options
    doyou know what stu, you are absolute 100000% right, go on benty my son, rickon we would be awsome with you back. COme home man, infact i am off over to facebook to invent the group 'Darren Bent back to the Valley Campaign' I will start a political party if i had to you know!
  • Options
    I'm with you 100% Ollie!
  • Options
    Right, group created, anyone know if you can link a facebook group to say charlton life by just adding the link,, any techno dudes in the know??