Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was. 25th Feb 1989. Aston Villa 1 Charlton 2

edited February 2008 in General Charlton
Saturday 25th February 1989. Villa Park. Att: 16,481

Aston Villa 1 (1) (Cowans 39) Charlton Athletic 2 (1) (Caton 9, Leaburn 72)

Villa: Spink, Price, S Gray, Gage, Mountfield, Evans (Keown 67), Callaghan, Platt, Daley, Cowans, Ormondroyd. Unused sub: Olney

Charlton: Bolder, Humphrey, Reid, Shirtliff, Caton, Peake, R Lee, Mortimer, MacKenzie, Williams, Crooks (Leaburn 67). Unused sub: Campbell.

Referee: J Lloyd (Wrexham).

Carl Leaburns first goal of the season. He finished with 2 goals from 31 (4) appearances and was subject of many a debate amongst the Charlton fans. (and a T-shirt).

Comments

• Options
    omg i feel very old was at this one, leaburns winner was greeted with much jubilation and plenty of shock too amongst the travelling few (was it deflected in) were his first four goals all at grounds that ended in a park? selhurst, st james and villa can't remember the other.... look at the crowd abysmal really, at least nowadays the crowds have picked up and there's a better atmosphere with stadiums being near full for most games in the top tier... not a bad team out for us that day either....
  • Options
    Yep i remember it well on the terrace behind the goal. That was the day that Bruno fought Tyson.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]omg i feel very old was at this one, leaburns winner was greeted with much jubilation and plenty of shock too amongst the travelling few (was it deflected in)

Yep I think Mountfield deflected the ball past Spink, who was sent the wrong way, and did seem to have Carlo's shot covered - no one had the heart to chalk it up as an OG.
  • Options
    selhurst, st james and villa can't remember the other

I think Upton Park? It led to the observation that Leaburn was a park player - as he only scored at grounds that ended in Park.
  • Options
    cheers BFR....lol park player
  • Options
    was born two days later so dont remember that one!
  • Options
    again makes me feel old Tommy Caton R.I.P. we saw him at Birmingham New Street after the game on his way up to Manchester.
  • Options
    Ormondroyd was the Peter Crouch of the 80's.

Not sure what that makes Leaburn ;-).
  • Options
    i was at this one (prob with oohaah).
    i think we were in our all grey kit.
    didn't realise the crowd was so small (weren't they the european champions 1981), and didn't realise king carlo came off the bench and won us the game (by shooting at derek mountfield).
    what i do remeber is that when that goal went in, we celebrated like it was the 2nd coming of christ.
  • Options
    I sat in the stand along the side.

When Leaburn scored I genuinely fell off my seat.

TOMMY CATON RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was sitting in the seats on the side.....was a poor crowd.....and Tommy Caton....what a shame eh? Was choked when I went to the next home game after he passed away...couldnt believe how low key it was.
  • Options
    I'm fairly sure I was at this one on a Junior Reds trip. Couldn't believe the monumental deflection Leaburn's shot took on the way in, and Ormondroyd was even more bambiesque than he was.
  • Options
    Sat in the stand along the side for this one with the few other CAFC.
  • Options
    grey admiral kit
  • Options
    Leaburns goal was a massive deflection in todays football would go to the dubious commitie
  • Options
    Leaburns goal was a massive deflection in todays football would go to the dubious commitie

Maybe ISawLeaburnScore will have to change his username???
  • Options
    30 years today. Just in case anyone was feeling young.
  • Options
    I remember it well I was a mere 9 months old and knew nothing of life or Charlton. 

Those were the good days.

Eat Sleep Excrete Repeat.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Re Leaburns "goal".....so off target it was going out for a throw. I suppose that where Karlan got the idea from......  :smile:
  • Options
    I remember this one and the inflatable fish in attendance in the away end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Flanagan raising Leaburn's hand to the away fans during the post match celebrations. @Airman Brown sporting an inflatable Haddock in the away end.
  • Options

If the net hadn't stopped it, Tommy Catons shot would have taken out a number of our fans behind the goal, it was a rocket. One of the fellas at work played against him in a County/schools game, said he was by so far the best player he'd played against it was off the scale. RIP Tommy.

In the last minute a Villa attack broke down and Paul Mortimer swept up with what at the other end would have been a defence splitting ball back to Bob Bolder. There was a mass intake of breath when he did it, but being Morts it was never in doubt. Happy days.

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    I'm fairly sure I was at this one on a Junior Reds trip. Couldn't believe the monumental deflection Leaburn's shot took on the way in, and Ormondroyd was even more bambiesque than he was.

I would normally have been on the JR coach but we drove up (gave Steve MacKenzie's dad a lift!). Met Steve after the game (lovely guy) and he gave my boy his boot bag to carry. Remember the inflatable fish though!