Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best pub for away fans at Wigan

edited November 2006 in General Charlton
My first time to Wigan!Any good pubs near the ground?

Comments

• Very good pub on the canal about 15 mins walk- sorry no name but we had a good lunch there and very away fan friendly.

Come t think of it - it was certainly the highlight of the day last season!

That's probably no use at all but i tried!
  • The pubs are in the town and there are loads. However it is a fair walk from the town to the ground so give yourself a bit of time. 20 mins for you. 40 for curb it.

Dont do what we did and walk straight into the Goon Squads drinking den at 11 am. 10 against 70 plus were not good odds. But after we turned down their invitation for a toe to toe they were actually ok - even though you could sense they still wanted to fight us.
  • Many thanks 1905,the odds sounded good just 2 of us going!will let you know the outcome
  • Ps thanks Stanmoreaddick
  • edited November 2006
    No probs Tavern. Your two has more quality than our ten!

Thanks for getting us back so quickly Tuesday night!

Going to Chesterfield made me realise that getting relegated is not that scary and that it can be a better day out away from the hype of the premiershite. Needless to say, that doesn't mean that I want us to go down!!
  • i think you may have a different opinion had it been raining?

cold i can deal with, cold and rain - not so keen :-)
  • "i think you may have a different opinion had it been raining?" - or if we had lost !!

I suppose its just me being overly nostalgic. Did enjoy it though.............
  • Theres a pub over the road from the train station on the corner (on the way to the ground) which is decent enough

Went there last season + they were pretty friendly, ground about 15 min walk from it

Full of locals but they werent bothered with charlton fans drinking in there
  • There is an away bar at the side of the JJB.

Very swanky with large screen, marquee type setting and pies + peas.

Think it was Rothko or someone else who commented that it looked like Phoenix Nights.
  • what just outside the ground PP?
  • Sponsored links:

• B

Hiya

It's in the side stand of the ground.

Just walk further on from the away turnstiles.
  • right so you dont actually go through the turnstyle?
    sorry if im being thick.
  • Correct.

Nice pie and peas, decent beer and loads of space.

I could be wrong this time and the whole facilty scrapped...............

I won't be going to the game though. Oh well.
  • I'll have my 12 year old cousin with me on Saturday. Will he be ok with a lemonade in the corner?
  • wigan

Sounds like 1905 probably walked into the Swan and Railway!!
  • According to someone on addickted net we have sold 532 so far.
  • "Sounds like 1905 probably walked into the Swan and Railway!!"

Yes Curb it, that is the pub. Full of firm and we walked right into the middle of them.
  • It's my 18th birthday the day tomorrow so ill probably be in noi fit state to drink. If you see a charlton fan collapsed on the floor in the ground it will probably be me.
  • Nice one 1905,hope they run out of the back door
  • The Orwell is on the canalside and is where had a couple last year, also reasonable food and OK for children. Excellent beer too
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2006
    Suzi.