Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Would you change the team to put Reid in at the moment?

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
I really like Reidy, but I think we are beginning to look a better TEAM with the current line up. Matty is always available all over the pitch and he's putting in captain's performances, and in all fairness he has a better mental attitude to that role, doesn't get involved in arguments etc when things are getting frustrating. I think we vary our play round better at the moment, everything was tending to be steered through reid, and he is a creative player, but I think we are much harder to play against as we are.
Everyone is in the team on merit at the moment. Not sure I would change it.
Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Wouldnt change it while we're winning and playing well and in all fairness Reid can't expect to jump straight back in the team in my opinion.
  • No

I'd stick with the team more or less as it is. Would only juggle the front two to try and find the best combination
  • Yes, Sam out and Reid in.
  • If he's half fit he's a great player to come off the bench, fully fit and he's an automatic to start. The only reason that this is even a debate is Ambrose's form since we unearthed Youga. Can you imagine the damage Reid could do with an overlapping pacey full back?
  • [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Yes, Sam out and Reid in.

No...Sam plays on the right and gives us width. His crossing will get better in time. Put Reid in that position and he'll drift in-field too much. I'd sell him to Sunderland for £2.5m plus Greg Halford (who I believe can throw a ball further than Rory Delap)
  • I'd put Reid on the left and Ambrose on the right. People are getting too carried away, we've won 2 in 9 ffs! We need our best players to play if available.
  • Not straight away but his return to fitness will hopefully inspire those in the team to up their game even more (except Holland who i think is playing brilliantly at the moment). In time i think we'll have Reid on the left with Ambrose/Sam on the right. But i wouldn't change it for now
  • Probably not right now but things might easily have changed by the time he's ready (if he hasn't moved to Wearside). As stated elsewhere the 2 athletic full-backs mean he could now play left of centre without having to be a winger as such. If Sam or Ambrose are off form perhaps they could then make way. Great to be playing so well now though without our most prized player. With Semedo and Thomas also out, perhaps our squad strength is coming to the fore. Coupled with much better understanding of what we're up against in this division (from the crowd as well), perhaps we really can come with the fabled late surge...
  • with the trf window yet to shut and all these rumours of Sunderland interest, now with Greg Halford in px, I'll wait till Friday to give my opinion.
  • [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]I'd put Reid on the left and Ambrose on the right. People are getting too carried away, we've won 2 in 9 ffs! We need our best players to play if available.

But we're unbeaten in 5 (forget penalty shoot outs) with this team and formation. And you don't change winning teams. Reid will in all fairness win his place back, we all know that, but i think it sends out the wrong message if we continue this run and he then walks straight back into the side.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]I'd put Reid on the left and Ambrose on the right. People are getting too carried away, we've won 2 in 9 ffs! We need our best players to play if available.

Reidy will play as soon as he's ready and we need him. Remember, as well as we played last night, it still took us until 7 minutes from the end to unlock a determined and unyielding Stoke defence.

Reidy, if he had played, might have had a big impact earlier in the match - but for all Sam's inconsistancy, he does give us width and stretch their midfield & defence.

Oh, and Mart ....... People are getting too carried away, we've only lost 2 in 9 ffs! ;o)
  • reid would make the team better.yes
  • Holland & ZZ in the middle, Reid on left, Amrbose on the right, real width and pace from the French full backs. A great line up.
  • I would have taken the money for Reid if it was available and strengthened the team elsewhere, Centre Mid or another Centre Back. The problem is the window ends tomorrow so that's less likely to happen now. I would now just concentrate on getting him as fit as possible before playing him again as the recent performances have been good, so no need to rush him back and risk another injury.

Reid could turn out to be the type of player to make the difference in a play-off final, especially on a larger pitch like Wembley where he'd have more time and space.
  • I think it's a measure of how much we've improved that some (myself included) are saying he shouldn't go straight back in the side. A few weeks ago, a game without him was unthinkable as we relied on him so much
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I think it's a measure of how much we've improved that some (myself included) are saying he shouldn't go straight back in the side. A few weeks ago, a game without him was unthinkable as we relied on him so much

The trouble was that a lot of teams realised how much we depended on him and they started marking him out of games. That's when we started having a dip in form. Now the team isn't dependent on one player so it's harder of the opposition, hence our form has improved recently.
  • edited January 2008
    If teams man mark or even double mark Reid when we've got Youga outside and ZZ inside we'll destroy them.
  • I've always said and I'll stick to my guns that Reidy, undoubtedly a talent, makes us very one dimensional...great to have him in reserve, but again if big money was offered and it helped the club, then take it.
  • I don't think he makes us very one dimensional - I think we became very one dimensional as there was no plan B. Now I think we can tinker with the side, swapping Varney for Iwelumo maybe and Reid for Sam but the shape and core personnel should stay the same.

Personally I'd play Reid on the left, Ambrose on the right, I think Sam flatters to deceive a bit. Reid coming inside is far less of a problem when Youga is overlapping him.