Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gray/Varney or Gray/Iwelumo ??

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
I'd much rather the first combo of Gray and Varney but it wouldn't surprise me if Pards went with Iwelumo and Gray as to match their physical play plus an extra defender at set plays and corners. Thoughts ?

Comments

• Options
    Gray and Varney, suits the way we play Stoke won't enjoy Varney lookng to get in behind
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Good point large - think Pards may well do that but with Rothko Varney pace in behind will be key
  • Options
    Gray's strength and ability will match them, Varney's pace will threaten them. In my opinion they should start together.
  • Options
    varney gray
  • Options
    varney/gray no doubt, what's the point in playing them at a physical game that they are better at?

let's play our own football
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]varney/gray no doubt, what's the point in playing them at a physical game that they are better at?

let's play our own football

agree totally, but will Pards.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]varney/gray no doubt, what's the point in playing them at a physical game that they are better at?

let's play our own football[/quote]

agree totally, but will Pards.[/quote]

So expect us to play Iwelumo and McLeod up top to start and then replace an ineffective McLeod with Darren Ambrose as we drop to 5 in midfield and slump to another home defeat
  • Options
    Dickson up front on his own.
  • Options
    mcleod and dickson

bringing on gray and iwellumo for holland an ambrose

end up 5 up front and turning a 2 nil win into a 2-5 loss
  • Options
    you try and start a sensible discussion and look what happens.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    let them worry about us.....has to be Gray and Varney to start with
  • Options
    Yep Gray Varney makes the most sense, no point lumping up long balls for their huge centre backs to effectively deal with all night....keep it on the deck and out play them.
  • Options
    Mat Tees and Ray Treacy
  • Options
    McClown & Frisbie would have caused them problems tonight, but in their absence Gray/Varney **** the oppo we are at home they should worry about us.
  • Options
    Agree with Kets and others.
    Iwelumo will be on the bench just in case.
  • Options
    Gray and VArney with Dicko and Big Chrs to come in the last 15
  • Options
    personally i would give Godfrey and Uchechi a go.
  • Options
    I bet u would
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Mat Tees and Ray Treacy
    Now THAT was a great front two!! Wonder how they would have got on in this division?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]I bet u would[/quote]

now now none of that bollox
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    who me
  • Options
    Matt Tees Ray Treacy and Alan Campbell....now that was a formidable trio
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    .....and don't forget Graham Moore!
  • Options
    Harry Gregory & Keefy Peacock!
  • Options
    Good shout Large.

Did Pards get it right?
  • Options
    no Pards was not right i dont think, because iwelumo was quite simply once again awful. not only does he not jump but he always misjudges the flight of the ball so that he ends up falling into a defender and he either ends up giving away free kicks or looks a fool falling over. Gray will be better with a faster forward running off him.

Thought Pards was too negative on that one re using Iwelumo in defending the throws, but eh charlton won!
  • Options
    in my opinion, no. Thought we carried more threat when Varney came on. Iwelumo missed another sitter that could have lost us two points. Pards would say that we won the battle that allowed us to then win the war but I reckon we would have won the battle sooner with Varney up there. Can't see BigChris starting at Scunny.
  • Options
    in my opinion, no. Thought we carried more threat when Varney came on. Iwelumo missed another sitter that could have lost us two points. Pards would say that we won the battle that allowed us to then win the war but I reckon we would have won the battle sooner with Varney up there. Can't see BigChris starting at Scunny.
  • Options
    I thought Pards got a couple of things wrong last night.

For me we definitely should have started with Gray and Varney - I like Iwelumo, he tries hard and served us well earlier in the season but I think we've moved on now and for me he's not quite up to it. He's too immobile and too easy to defend, if we attack with some pace then we can stretch a team, especially one visiting the Valley looking for a draw (for me this is where we've been going wrong for most of the season and the reason for our poor home record).

I also thought the wrong winger was substituted, I don't really rate Sam and thought Ambrose looked lively yesterday. But there again, Sam scored the winner and we won the game on the back of a very good performance so what the hell do I know?!

Where are the Doom 'n Gloom merchants today by the way? Conspicuous by their absence. If we lose they log on within 30 seconds of the final whistle.
  • Options
    Perhaps you need to have a balance of all sorts of players and you need some physical presence but with Moo2 and Youga adding some pace and offensive play Iwelumo stood out as a bit of a Juggernaut in a team with pace and flair. Gray can hold the ball up well and looked to have some good touches to link up with like minded players around him. So I would prefer Varney/Gray at Scunny in a 4 4 2.

I have to say though that Matty Holland was immense. I thought a few months back that we had seen the best of him but I think his recent performances have been the best he has played for Charlton. Added to which is his experience and role as captain. Absolutely brilliant professional.