Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

City lunches

Can anyone recommend a top end (Michelin starred if possible) restaurant in the City for lunch? Working in sunny Bromley I don't get out much, so when I do - and it's on expenses - I like to treat myself....

Thanking you.

Comments

• Options
    Depends if you have veggies with you Highly recommended by friends who do expensive lunches in the city
  • Options
    If its Michelin Starred in the City the only two are:

Rhodes 24 - in Tower 42? I've only ever been in the bar since rhodes took it over which has great views. you might have been there?

Or no 1 Lombard Street - not been in there.

Coq d'Argent is good for city lunches also tho.
  • Options
    Thank you - have been to St John, as my office was next door for several years...managed by a friend who used to help run the bar at The Traf...it's a small world..

Not been to Rhodes 24 or 1 Lombard St...will give one of them a go....

Thanks
  • Options
    Rhodes is nice
  • Options
    Lombard Street is ok...i'd recommend (other than St John) Club Gascon at the south end of Smithfield market....they do a 5 course menu with 5 different wines (set price) that is very nice
  • Options
    If you want a proper restaurant try Luc's in Leadenhall Market. Quality without the Celeb Chef factor.
    I've been to all the so called top restaurants in the city, Lombard, Coq d'arge, The Don, Bleeding Heart, Tower 42, OXO Tower, Quags etc etc. All overrated IMO.
    Celeb Chefs? I sh*t 'em!
    Having said that I'm going to Ramseys on Thurs, the proper one. Now that is quality.
  • Options
    Id second Club Gascon, had a friend who spent a long time in St Barts Hospital and after his remission from cancer we headed there for the a truly fantastic lunch. Maybe it was the circumstances but from what I remember the food was fantastic.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I am still lamenting the demise of the Tower Cafe (surely a michelin starred greasy spoon). I am now forced to go to the more run-down one in Leadenhall market as its the only one left this side of the City that I know about.

Is this the demise of the greasy spoon as we know it? Smoking ban perhaps killing off trade..

:(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I am still lamenting the demise of the Tower Cafe (surely a michelin starred greasy spoon). I am now forced to go to the more run-down one in Leadenhall market as its the only one left this side of the City that I know about.

Is this the demise of the greasy spoon as we know it? Smoking ban perhaps killing off trade..

:(

Often visit the City Corner cafe just off Bishopsgate. Italian bloke runs it, has proper old-style vinyl covered booth seats.

Ham, egg & chips and a mug of tea please!!

http://www.welovelocal.com/en/london/tower-hamlets/spitalfields/cafes/city-corner-e17da.html
  • Options
    bit far norf for me but good to know theres still some out there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    never been in Club Gascon, but i frequent their bar, Cellar Gascon, next door quite regularly. lovely little bar.