Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sky and BBC

Should be ashamed of themselves for not televising that Liverpool v Havant game. Who the fook wanted to watch chelsea v wigan etc. Really pissed me of that did.

Comments

• edited January 2008
    bbc's chance to show an 'all premiership' match for a change...

at first we thought it was they didn't want to embarrass H&W when they were whooped 8-0 by the mighty red,.....how wrong could they be if so!

such a shame they didn't show it.
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]bbc's chance to show a all premiership match.

at first we thought it was they didn't want to embarrass H&W when they were whooped 8-0 by the mighty red,.....how wrong could they be if so!

Fair play to the Liverpool fans who stayed behind to clap the H&W players off the pitch though.

Nice to meet you on Saturday btw Suzi :-)
  • I know Curb_it - what a joke.

Sheff Utd vs. Man City,
    Wigan vs. Chelsea,
    Mansfield vs. Boro,
    Man U vs. Tottenham.

The only reason i can think is that they had to decide what games prior to a replay.
  • To be fair though if Liverpool had won 7 or 8-0 like many expected, people would be saying, why did they bother showing that walkover. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
  • When you see the rubbish games that both sky and beeb put on you wonder how they can then miss games people are actually interested in, I mean the Irish league!!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: NorthStandUltra[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]bbc's chance to show a all premiership match.

Fair play to the Liverpool fans who stayed behind to clap the H&W players off the pitch though.

you too! how was the car? any alarming sights to be reported from the lovely town of Historic Rochester?? :-)
  • Lawrenson commented on this on the BBC website (Can't be arsed to find the link). From what I recall they had to make their minds up before the H&W replay with Swansea. They didn't believe they'd get through so they decided not to chosse the match.
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: NorthStandUltra[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]bbc's chance to show a all premiership match.

you too! how was the car? any alarming sights to be reported from the lovely town of Historic Rochester?? :-)

Fortunately, the car was ok - no 15 year olds being sick over the bonnet or anything like that! Lovely part of the world!
  • Thorughly agree. What a joke the choices are, as Suzi says, the BBC just want to show a "Premier League" clash, even though Sky will probably be showing both the league games between the two. Liverpool v Swansea wouldn't have been a bad shout either, so the replay excuse just does not wash with me, also, if the clubs involved can sort out policing and ticketing in a short time, so can the TV companies. Kick off time can be decided when the replays are done with too.

Alan Hanson waxed lyrical that those games are what the cup is all about, so I hope he had a word with his bosses afterwards. The FA are not blameless, they choose the 3PM game which is beamed around the world, and decided to show Arsenal v Newcastle rather than Liverpool v Havant, and there is little interest in keegan taking over outside the UK.

Also, Leicester v Palace live, Charlton v Palace (even though it has already been moved) not live. Show me a fan outside Leicester who would prefer that game to ours and I would be very surprised.
  • edited January 2008
    Just as reprehensible IMo was the way 606 started on Saturday...

Alan Green, as is normal, issues a please for fans of certain clubs to phone for different reasons. The first one was for Liverpool fans to call if they felt that going behind to Havant & Waterlooville twice was a humiliation too far and that maybe it was the final straw.

This was FA Cup day. A day when the romance of football (that the BBC so delight in telling us is dying) is well and truly alive and kicking. A day when a team of part-timers went to one of the biggest clubs in the world and twice went ahead, and arguably should've been 3-1 ahead and could've caused one of the greatest shocks of all time. A day when the airwaves should be should be given over to those who never get on, who never have anything to talk about.

And that two-bob, pious, up-his-own-arse cnut puts the woes of a Premier League club at the top of the agenda.

Not only is it an insult to the monumental efforts of group of honest part timers who may never get that chance again but also something he can do every other week of the season.

It's official - the big clubs are all that matter. I really used to expect better of the BBC. MOTD has been going this way for a long time but now they've proven conclusively that they're as bad as all the rest.

ABSOLUTELY F**KING DISGRACEFUL...BBC HANG YOUR HEADS IN SHAME!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• The BBC couldn't wait for the replays, and the chances were that Havant and Waterlooville wouldn't get through, so they couldn't gamble on the possibilty of Liverpool v Swansea, or even Luton v Swansea.
  • but liverpool vs swansea would have been a decent game too, seeing as swansea top of league 1

better than wigan vs chelsea that's for sure
  • and Luton v Swansea? Nah, no thanks.

The tendancy is to pick a game where the smaller side is at home, hence Mansfield v Boro on Saturday, if it had been Liverpool away at Swansea then it would have been a decent game, but giant kills tend to happen to the away team.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing
  • edited January 2008
    not even looking for a giant-killing R, a non-all Premiership tie that Sky don't churn out half a dozen times every fortnight would have done me... but maybe I'm just fed up with a) sky pretending every single Premiership game is THE best game ever OR b) john motson creaming over any Premiership game as the BBC think it's a novelty (when in reality they are lightyears behind)

grump grump grump, Saturday can't come sooner, you there early doors R?
  • edited January 2008
    You can watch Football League games on Sky, not that bothered about BBC ticking a box to show one in the FA cup. Give it two years and the Championship is on the Beeb.

I can guess the games the BBC will show for the next round, United v Arsenal, Preston v Portsmouth and Sheffield U v Boro.

Nailed on

yeah, looking forward for the Scunnie game, give you a bell on the way and I'm out of the country for the Palace game!
  • haha did you get a letter then Rothko, you can be no closer than Calais?

Scunthorpe has the makings of a proper away day... going over on the train earlyish, hopefully there by noon
  • I feel I must add that I agree with the sentiments above. I love MOTD and download it nearly every week. I was amazed however that on FA Cup day they decided that the Blackburn v Villa league game deserved highlights ahead of some of the other FA Cup games. I'd waited over 24 hours, avoiding the results to watch it but felt let-down by the time wasted on a Premiership tie we see every week to the detriment of Watford v Wolves for example in the cup.
  • I remember the days when MOD showed games from all 4 divisions. It might be just me, but I would find Luton v Swansea a more interesting game than the usual Wigan v Chelsea/Man Utd - Spurs reserve side gubbins. The only tie I watched this weekend, and there were about 5 to choose from was the Sheff Utd - Man City game which was a cracking cup tie. I will not bother with Man Utd v Arsenal in the next round. I would for sure watch Bristol Rovers - Southampton & Preston - Portsmouth.

The romance of the Cup is the momentary spotlight shone on the lesser clubs, especially where there is a decent chance of them winning.
  • edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Lawrenson commented on this on the BBC website (Can't be arsed to find the link). From what I recall they had to make their minds up before the H&W replay with Swansea. They didn't believe they'd get through so they decided not to chosse the match.

That's the case - although it's probably easier to wire up Anfield at short notice than other grounds - and BBC also tend to go for small club v big club, as Rothko mentioned. This is their explaination, anyway.

And as for taking the piss out of Sky showing the Irish league - it probably sells them a few dishes in Ireland, especially when Setanta are lurking around the corner.
  • I agree with Oakster, but then i am a football fan, not a
    post 1990happyclappypremierleaguearmchaircnut.

Despite Rothko's comments, still can't see why the Beeb couldn't wait for the replays (see earlier comments) and then decide, and what they "tend to go for" is irrelevant, that's what we are saying we have the problem with; and what they actually went for this weekend was 66% all prem clashes!

I also can't see what the problem is in wiring up any ground at short notice. The crew only arrives about 24 hours before any fixture, they are not camped out for a week before, soldering bits of wire together.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Broadcast contracts tend to ask for a certain amount of time to notify clubs.

There's no guaratees that H and W would have put in the same performance at 5.15 or 2 on the Sunday. The first 30 minutes were good to watch, the rest of it, Liverpool just run all over them, it would have been nice, but then it woul dhave been nice if ITV had shown the first game back to the Valley live, but they didn't
  • I think that's what we are saying Rothers; it would have been nice if they had shown it, and the more of us who get on to them and tell them that, the more chance there is that in the future they will show games like that, instead of the dull old Prem v Prem we get every other day.
  • Personally I think that once you get to the forth round stage (and every round after that) the lowest teams left in the competition should be guaranteed life TV coverage. Once that has been achieved then the prem/champ games can get covered. The premier league (and the championship to a certain extent) get far more money than the rest of the football pyramid combined. The FA Cup should be about the romance of the smaller teams battling it out and should be used as an opportunity to spead the wealth a little bit. Do wigan or chelsea really need tax payers money funding them via a televised match on the BBC? The answer is obviously no, whilst the £250k would have made a world of difference to any of the lower league clubs not televised instead of just paying John Terry to get physio for another 2 weeks.