Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Calzaghe v Hopkins

edited January 2008 in Not Sports Related
Now the Hatton Mayweather fight was worth the hype and build up, real shame about the outcome but this is a bout that makes me tingle.

I hate Hopkins, he was a fine professional but has absolutely no grace at all. He has not had a challenging fight for years, and he has a big mouth. If Howard Eastman had prepped better for the bout they had a couple of years ago he would have beaten him. He is very bitter that he has not got recognition for defending his title for as long as he did against nobodies.

Joe Calzaghe on the other hand is at his absolute peak and has at least two showstopping bouts left in him. And is wonderful at shutting up gobby Americans.

I think Joe will stop Hopkins around the 9th and retire him in the process

Comments

• Is this going to be on TV or Pay per view?
  • Sultana I think mate, so pay per view
  • edited January 2008
    I'd love Calzaghe to beat him, but, much like the Mayweather-Hatton fight I can't see it happening. You're right - Hopkins is an ****hole but I think he will be more comfortable at the heavier weight than Calzaghe. Calzaghe is at his best when he can dominate a fighter with superior workrate, accuracy and punishing combinations - witness his utter dismantling of Lacy (which still ranks as the best performance I have ever seen in a pro fight). I worry that bulking up to LH will detract from this. Also, Hopkins is a canny ****er, and he will try anything he can to put Calzaghe off his game - he'll be all over him like a rash in the early rounds, clutching, grabbing, leading with the head etc etc.

Anyone who doubts the veracity of Hopkins' record better take a look at Calzaghe's. There's more meat on that record than Nigel Benn had early in his career so yes, whilst Hopkins has fought a lot of trash, there are only two fights on Calzaghe's record that truly stand out - Kessler and Lacy.

You also have to worry about his hand holding out - he can't keep pounding away with an obvious weakness in his left hand forever, sooner or later it will tell on him.

Finally, if he doesn't stop him and the fight is even remotely close, he can't possibly win (see my posts on the Hatton fight) because you can't win on points in Vegas if you're fighting a yank.

All that said, he proved me wrong against Lacy and I would so love him to do it again - Hopkins is a loudmouth buffoon who hasn't fought anyone decent in years except a past-it Winky Wright, an out-of-sorts De la Hoya and Jermain Taylor - who beat him twice.

I am seriously considering going over for this, but surprised no-one on here has mentioned what could be an evern better fight - and it's all British! Haye vs Maccarinelli has the potential to be awesome - both of them are superb fighters and I think their styles complement each other perfectly.
  • I'm with you on Haye v Maccarinelli, I'm all bookd up after paying through the nose for a couple of tickets.

I personally think Haye should of not taken the fight as he has been banging on about moving into the Heavies for a long time and at cruiserweight I think Maccarinelli is without peers.

I am really looking forward to it but don't know how to call it!

My heart says Haye, but my head says Enzo will have too much for him
  • joe is not at hes peak and hopkins is still a force,joe will win in a dull points win.enzo will spark haye out,put your house on it,haye has a china chin
  • It's the biggy Saturday night. I still fancy Joe to be too fast for Hopkins I hope he doesn't gamble on taking him the distance but he's a tough fella Hopkins.

It's interesting reading mine and nolly's expert predictions for the Hayemaker!!
  • Hopkins is certainly trying the mindgames which suggests to me that he respects Calzaghe.

I think Joe should be ok if it goes the distance. Hopkins can bang though and Joe has stepped up and may not have been wacked that hard before. I think at 43 Hopkins might lack a bit of stamina.
  • Organising a Gents Evening for it. What time is the fight scheduled to start.
  • I think its gonna be the same outcome as Hatton v Mayweather.

Although it will probably go the distance, I expect Hopkins to get the home decision and a lot of help from the referee.
  • im going for joe,but dont take me serious.
  • Sponsored links:

• the biggest challenge could see les , welsh lee and meself managing to go through from midday saturday until the fight starts.

might have to pace ourselves as I can't think how else we'll stay awake
  • let it be noted the fight maybe before 3
  • It'll kick off about 3.45 - 4.00 Sunday morning.

I think Joe will box his ears off. I think we all knew in our hearts that Mayweather would be too good for Hatton. This is different, Calzaghe has been there done it got a blood soaked t-shirt. Eubank, Kessler, Lacy and Byron Mitchell were no mugs.
  • They've just been talking to Joe on 5Live, it's the first fight on the card and they should be in the ring at 3.10am.
  • All the talk last week was that Tarver was past his best, Clinton Woods would boss him around the ring then finish him off. In reality Woods froze.

There is always the possibilty that Calzaghe will freeze on the night.

It's a definate close call
  • [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]the biggest challenge could see les , welsh lee and meself managing to go through from midday saturday until the fight starts.

might have to pace ourselves as I can't think how else we'll stay awake

what about meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
  • I dunno Risky, Woods handed Tarver that fight on a plate. I think Joe won't be fazed but he could get suprised with how hard Hopkins can thump and how tough his head is