Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Road Tax Evasion - Naughty Naughty

WSSWSS
edited January 2008 in Not Sports Related
"More than a million drivers a year are exploiting a loophole in the enforcement of vehicle licensing law that allows them to pay less road tax, The Times has learnt. The DVLA has been aware of the loophole for at least four years but has failed to close it, costing the taxpayer tens of millions of pounds in lost revenue. This comes on top of estimates that up to four out of ten motorcyclists are evading road tax.

Since 2004 the DVLA has issued automatic £80 fines to drivers who do not renew their tax discs. But it does not identify evaders until the end of the second month after a disc expires. If drivers skip a month’s tax and renew their disc at the beginning of the second month, they will not be sent a fine. They can repeat the evasion every six months.

There is little risk of being caught displaying an out-of-date disc because police unofficially give at least 14 days’ grace to those displaying expired discs. There has also been a sharp fall in the number of traffic police, meaning that drivers are unlikely to be stopped later in the month."

Comments

• Options
    What about those Tax Disk Cameras they have everywhere now like the one on the A2 you can't hide from them can you ?...Can you ?

Dunno why we pay Road Tax, if it was just put on Fuel Duty instead no-one could avoid it could they, but no that is far too a sensible thing to do, lets tax the fuel & have tax discs as well & create more of a chance to make criminals out of plain absent minded or stupid people.
  • Options
    What about the people who steal their fuel? Or those that use that farmers red diesel stuff.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Dunno why we pay Road Tax, if it was just put on Fuel Duty instead no-one could avoid it could they, but no that is far too a sensible thing to do, lets tax the fuel & have tax discs as well & create more of a chance to make criminals out of plain absent minded or stupid people.

Spot on my friend
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]What about the people who steal their fuel? Or those that use that farmers red diesel stuff.

The former are what they call Genuine Criminals my learned colleague, and the proverbial book can be thrown at them. As for the Farmers stuff surely it is bought from somewhere could in not be taxed at source or are you talking about that rapeseed stuff that they grow for themselves ?
  • Options
    I'm not normally one to support bureaucracy of any description but having the road fund licence does at least ensure that cars are insured and MOT'd where applicable.

It is also fairer that all road users contribute SOMETHING and those that use the roads a lot quite properly contribute more via the duty on fuel.

In my opinion this is an enforcement problem not a system problem.
  • Options
    When petrol was put up to £1.00 a gallon (yes many moons ago) they said they were going to abolish road fund license......wonder what happened? Its a relief when I go back to Oz and can fill my gas guzzling Commodore for just £25.00.
  • Options
    The former are what they call Genuine Criminals my learned colleague

As are people who don't pay their road tax.
  • Options
    They will never abolish Road Tax

If they did, Swansea would close down overnight.
  • Options
    Pink petrol is only for agricultural vehicles, but a blind eye is turned if a gypsy driven vehicle has a smash and the stuff is leaking all over the road as that is what they fill all they're 4x4's with. However that is a 'difficult' criminal.
  • Options
    I have been on raids with VOSA and Customs and Excise (or whatever they are called now) on illegal garages and they do throw the book at those with pink diesel as it is tax exempt.

Did you know that if VOSA stop a private car (they have that right) if you don't have any water in your windscreen washers they can issue a prohibition notice so that you can no longer continue on your journey until you rectify the fault. They won't help you do it. They prefer to do it to Lorries however.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: pickwick[/cite]I have been on raids with VOSA and Customs and Excise (or whatever they are called now) on illegal garages and they do throw the book at those with pink diesel as it is tax exempt.

Did you know that if VOSA stop a private car (they have that right) if you don't have any water in your windscreen washers they can issue a prohibition notice so that you can no longer continue on your journey until you rectify the fault. They won't help you do it. They prefer to do it to Lorries however.

So they can all laugh at the poor sod who has to urinate in the resevoir
  • Options
    VOSA are deeply unpleasant in my experience.