Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ridiculous !!!

Premier League chiefs are discussing plans for each club to play one game a season abroad when the international television contract comes up for grabs in 2010 (Mirror).

Comments

• Fantastic.

Knowing our luck it will be a weekend in Wrexham or Airdrie.
  • That will be the final nail in English footballs coffin if that happens
  • South of France might be a nice trip out but it is, as you say ridiculous.
  • What part of "Embargo Date: April 1st 2008" doesn't the Mirror understand?
  • It will be Singapore, KL, Bangkok, China, India, Japan I would imagine.
  • lets hope each club chooses their game against man utd to play in the far east...
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Charlie Block[/cite]What part of "Embargo Date: April 1st 2008" doesn't the Mirror understand?[/quote]

Sorry Charlie, for those of us not in the know, can you explain please?

Although I think I know where you are coming from, I would like it confirmed.
  • So 20 games played abroad. One in which you are a home team and one an away team. eg 2 footie away trips abroad somewhere.

Presumably home and away allocations will be in proportion say 10 to 1. Say 5000 home team fans and 500 away. And the balance locals or anybody else. Match is beamed back to the UK at a time that doesnt disrupt other UK football.

Matches staggered throughout season so the travelling doesnt clash with Champs League, FA Cup or Carling Cup and International matches. Are these in a range of countries or just one. Presumably they would be weekend games.

And which fixtures get chosen Derby v Bolton in Afghanistan. Chelsea v Man Utd in Rejkavic.

And of course once the format is established it will be reciprocated in the UK. Real Madrid v Valencia at Villa Park. And next week Bayern Munich v Borussia Dortmund at the Emirates.

What was it Brian Clough said about football and tv......
  • I was talking bollox its only 1 game per team eg 10 games. Presumably one team is designated the home team.
  • [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]I was talking bollox its only 1 game per team eg 10 games. Presumably one team is designated the home team.

I think you're geting ahead of yourself a bit with this mate. You'll be trying to sort out the referees accomodation next!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Charlie Block[/cite]What part of "Embargo Date: April 1st 2008" doesn't the Mirror understand?

Sorry Charlie, for those of us not in the know, can you explain please?

Although I think I know where you are coming from, I would like it confirmed.

The 'embargo date' is a request to the press not to publish before the specified time. The date in question IMO is most appropriate for something so ridiculous.
  • Its already sorted. Travel Lodge Jakarta.

I guess we can buy a travel package for all 10 games flights and hotels included.

No need for local stadiums. Virtual football.

Call me old fashioned but I hate the idea.