Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Newcastle are my 2nd favourite team again!

King Kev is back, and some! The Toon romp into the 4th round at the expense of high flying Stoke.
Along with Sir Trev, Tony Grieg, Alan Knott, Geoff Boycott and Mohammed Ali he is one of my boyhood sporting heros.
I'm just so glad to see him back. It will be a bumby ride, it'll all end in tears as usual, but it will be fun. It's what the sterile Prem needs.
You won't find Keegan refusing to speak to the BBC or anyone else for that matter.

Comments

• I've never got how people can have a 'second team'
  • I'm think he'll make the premiershit more interesing that is for sure.

Stu - I'm pretty sure DJDD is more of a football fan rather than a Charlton fan first and foremost - correct me if I'm wrong DJDD
  • edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]I've never got how people can have a 'second team'

Didn't you? Shame.
    Makes life so much easier.

Mine go like this:-
    1) Arsenal
    2) Newcastle
    3) Chorltan
    4) Man Utd
    5) Neil Kinnock & Roy Hattersley - The DREAM team that changed the face of politics forever.
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]I've never got how people can have a 'second team'

Didn't you? Shame.
    Makes life so much easier.

Mine go like this:-
    1) Arsenal
    2) Newcastle
    3) Chorltan
    4) Man Utd
    5) Neil Kinnock & Roy Hattersley - The DREAM team that changed the face of politics forever.

So Charlton have been relegated into second place in favour of kevin keegan.Nice.

Why don't you dump Charlton altogether and stick Chelsea in there.
  • [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]

Stu - I'm pretty sure DJDD is more of a football fan rather than a Charlton fan first and foremost - correct me if I'm wrong DJDD

The "2nd" team thing was tounge in cheek.

I'm just a massive fan of Keegan, as a manager, player,Superstars contestant or Green Cross Code guardian.

Yes it's football before club for me - but country before football!

I think it's a shame we couldn't have made use of the best motivational man manager along with the best technical coach for the national side.

I think Keegan/Hoddle would have been superb. Keegan would have been excellent at putting his arm round our players after they had been humiliated by Glenn on the training pitch.
  • [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]

So Charlton have been relegated into second place in favour of kevin keegan.Nice.

Why don't you dump Charlton altogether and stick Chelsea in there.

No. Chorlton were 3rd before. It's Man U who've been demoted.
  • ".......Keegan would have been excellent at putting his arm round our players....."

Shame Keegan's gone back to Newcastle. We could have done with him at Charlton.

To put his arm round Dizzy McLeod after he gets stage fright in front of goal...... ;o)
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]I've never got how people can have a 'second team'[/quote]

I think for a lot of fans, the idea of a 2nd team, & other teams not placed 2nd, that fans may have a 'soft spot' for, seems to stem from when you are young. Certainly for me anyway.

That came from relatives & family friends supporting other teams, & taking me along to their teams games.

I 'got in to' Charlton when I was 5 through my dads best friend & his family. We were still at The Valley then(Just!).
    When we moved to Selhurstschwitz, my Dad took me & my brother to games, following up on that initial interest, as that "stadium" was only a bus journey away. From there, the love affair was born! :)

In terms of 2nd teams, Blackpool are my particular runners up. That stemmed from my dads support of the Seasiders when he was a wee lad, & him taking us to see them at Wembley in their Play-off finals 2 years running, back in the early 90's. I was also there to see them clinch promotion against Yeovil in May of last year.
    Of course, watching vintage footage of the late, great Sir Stanley Matthews in action for them throughout my lifetime added to my curiousity also.
    Fact fans, did you know that we were narrowly pipped to the signature of a young Stan by Blackpool? (I think we bid £13,000 for him. Quite a sum back in those days!)
    Feck me! That would've have been the equivalent of signing Christiano Ronaldo by todays standards!

From there in the list to Worthing(as my Grandparents used to live there, went to a fair few games), Carshalton Athletic(As I used to live there, & again, attended when we didn't have a fixture).
    I also watch the rise of the 'Pheonix' football teams with keen interest. Maybe because Charlton fought back 'from the dead', so to speak(though not through the same channels as these next few clubs in my list of 'soft spot' teams-thank gawd!)

Accrington Stanley(amazing that they got back into the football league!) Aldershot(so close over the past few years, but looking really good for a return to the league now!), Newport, Bradford Park Avenue(still a fair few rungs down the non-league ladder) & I also have a curiousity about the fortunes of AFC Wimbledon.(I'd love to see them meet MK Dons in one competition or another!)

& thats about it really. When we played Blackpool, my priorites were never in doubt, or in any way divided at all. My main hope was that we won, & we won well, & that we did!:)

We should definitely try & grab Hoolahan from them too!
  • [cite]Posted By: Stefco[/cite]Selhurstschwitz

LOL!
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite

I'm just a massive fan of Keegan, as a manager, player,Superstars contestant or Green Cross Code guardian.

or Brut peddler with Our 'enry
  • Sponsored links:

• Absolutely. Fabergee #33 is still the best.

I honestley wish him all the best on Sat evening.
  • There's definitely a warm quality about Keegan. Maybe it's his naievity combined with his obvious passion for whatever he does, but he definitely seems a pretty genuine and honest kind of bloke. As DJDD says though, it will almost certainly all end in tears in the end as he walks out of yet another job, but it will certainly brighten things up a bit!