Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton-Man City: wrap up

Phew...I hate these one nils...but a vital three points.

From the radio it sounds as though everyone had a good game, good support from the crowd and a bit of luck when we needed - we made the luck today.

Also another good display from the defense, three games on the bounce with a clean sheet.

Crowd 26,011

Comments

• 4 clean sheets in a row... Full credit to Diawara and Carson at the back and excellent on Benty for taking his chance when it came.
    Yeeeeee ha!
  • And we're off the bottom of the table...
  • Off the bottom now and I think, long term, Watford's win is good for us as I've got them as good as down and it brings Boro into the relegation mix (positive thinking).
  • Yep, I'd agree, it keeps Boro within sight, only three points away instead of six.

We could even be out the relegation zone if Newcastle & west Ham lose by two or more goals, but that's a detail.
  • Oh a win !!!

Make no bones about it, we rode our luck at times. But the players have stayed with it and we've earned that break.

Romm going off at half-time was a blow, most involved i have ever seen him. Doawara is going to turn into a cult figure for me, and Carson didn't put a foot wrong. Only concern is despite the goal, Benty is looking off colour.

Weaver, what's the score ?
  • Thought the referee had a good game and was reasonably impartial for a change.

Unlucky to be only 1-0 up at half time I thought.

Second half largely City but we hung on. Diawara is excellent, Reid played well. Thomas looked knackered after about 70 minutes again and I agree with your comments regards to Romm probably his best half and him coming off allowed City to get further forward he was causing all sorts of problems

Anyway off to the fireworks on the heath...
  • Brian Clough often used to say every good team needs a strong spine. Goalkeeper, centre half and centre forward.

Our spine of Carson, Diawara and Bent D was the difference today.

Was I glad when that final whistle blew!!
  • I thought Holland and Reid both put in good shifts too. When is Dennis going to actually deliver something at the end of one of his runs?
    A top form and fitness Darren Bent would have put away 3 of the five or so opportunties he had today.
  • Was going to say that myself Stone. Not a fan of Holland but I thought he was superb today! Didnt go missing like he usually does, always played the easy ball, got stuck in. Was very impressed!
  • And Newcastle lose to the Blades...which means we are back bottom of the league...

How long will Roeder have a job for?
  • Sponsored links:

• Shame as if Newcastle had lost 2-0 they would be bottom and if Arsenal put a few past West Spam tomorrow we will be back off the bottom.

Newcastle maybe Curbishley's destination.

This needs to become a run.
  • [cite]Posted By: pickwick[/cite]
    This needs to become a run.

Hit the nail on the head Pickwick. Next week will tells us whether this side is really any good or not. The have been playing all season with a clowd hanging over them, next week will be the first game, despite still being bottom where we will be able to put out a side that is not against a top club, not hampered by injuries, and not with the fear of a lack of win behind them.
  • We are getting there.

With Traore to come in and give a bit of balance on the left and Reid and Thomas to get fitter this current XI have got the potential to go on a good run.

Luke Young, Holland, Rommedahl had their best games, Diawara and Borat are looking good together in the middle, the keeper is the signing of the season.

Time to break the away hoodoo now, starting on Tuesday.
  • MCSMCS
    edited November 2006
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Diawara and Borat are looking good together in the middle,

lol, borat!
  • 3 clean sheets tells a story as well as a striker who is scoring, though I agree looks a little out of sorts.

If we can keep the new found defensive confidence...