Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

****TRAVEL PROBLEMS***** Fatal accident in Charlton

edited January 2008 in Not Sports Related
Expect some delays if coming in by car or traveling by bus,fatal accident in the Little Heath/Cemetry lane area.

Comments

• edited January 2008
    Three dead - a car collided with a bus:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/7166724.stm
  • Puts a disappointing result into proper perspective
  • I walked past the where the accident was on the way home, and as ALF said, it's a real perspective compared to some of the stuff I've seen on this site in the last 30 minutes.
  • i walked past the rose of denmark and there seemed to be a little memorial tribute to a charlton fan on the wall near to there does anyone now the story??
  • I saw that, someone called Jimmy.
  • Think that happened on the Saturday evening before Christmas, a few hours after the Hull game.
    The road was closed off, and was possibly a collision involving a bus.
  • a head-on collision with a bus at 6am in the morning of new year's day with a car full of teenagers... i hope drink was not involved because the highest price thinkable has been paid if it was

still, if our streets were safer places, people might feel able to walk home at any time of day

very sad
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]a head-on collision with a bus at 6am in the morning of new year's day with a car full of teenagers... i hope drink was not involved because the highest price thinkable has been paid if it was

still, if our streets were safer places, people might feel able to walk home at any time of day

very sad

One of the more safer parts of south east London to be fair, and they could have been driving from a fair distance. So need for the 'safer streets' bit
  • edited January 2008
  • more respectfull not to speculate.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's a know accident blackspot (pretty much Charlton village to Francis Street) it's happened before on that road in the last couple of years, when a young girl was kiled in a collison at the bottom of Hillreach.

Stabbings have nothing to do with it.
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]more respectfull not to speculate.

point taken
  • from here
    Resident Eddie McCann said repeated calls for speed cameras, at what he described as an accident blackspot, had gone unheeded.

Mr McCann, 38, said there had been numerous accidents on the road.

He said: "I've lost count of the number of times I've run out of my house in my boxer shorts to pull people out of cars."

It is a spot for lunatic driving. And not a spot for stabbings.
  • edited January 2008
    i think you all might be taking my off the wall comment above a bit far, i wasn't exactly insinuating it was a crime hotspot, more a general reference over a nationwide problem
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]i think you all might be taking my off the wall comment above a bit far, i wasn't exactly insinuating it was a crime hotspot, more a general reference over a nationwide problem

i know where your coming from leaburn
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]i think you all might be taking my off the wall comment above a bit far, i wasn't exactly insinuating it was a crime hotspot, more a general reference over a nationwide problem

If you're in a hole, stop digging.
  • no need to go out of your way to be a busy-body and take a side-comment out of context
  • R, I think highly of you my man, but it wasn't a side comment, it was adding 2 and 2, and getting 553. It looks a bit churlish, that is all.
  • would be nice to have it let go by some then, don't fancy being hung for it ;-)

apologies, as were originally conveyed in my deleted post
    RIP
  • From what the locals say it seems like a good spot for a speed camera or two to me. Hopefully some good may come out of this tradegy.

Of course, some prat will then be on here moaning about getting flashed and done for "only" doing 41 in a 30mph but I suggest we can all live with that if it helps to stop such awful accidents as this.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]From what the locals say it seems like a good spot for a speed camera or two to me. Hopefully some good may come out of this tradegy.

Of course, some prat will then be on here moaning about getting flashed and done for "only" doing 41 in a 30mph but I suggest we can all live with that if it helps to stop such awful accidents as this.

As someone who lived off that road for 18 years, it's been a blackspot all that time, a couple of long drags people drive too quickly along, coupled with a couple of bends which would test an advanced driver at Hillreach and Cemetery Lane, think this is the 5th death on this road in the last 2 years.

But as you say, someone will moan about being caught breaking the law
  • you often wonder what goes through the mind of a speeder though (and i'm not talking a cheeky 32 in a 30 on a clear day etc)... speedo's are deliberately rigged a few MPH over the actual speed for obvious reasons, so people getting 41 in a 30 like you said would be on closer to 45

as a human being... how do you look at your dial and a) make the value judgement to do that and b) have the balls? beggars belief