Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

DAB Radio

edited December 2007 in Not Sports Related
I Was thinking about buying a DAB Radio but after reading from other posters who couldn't get todays match i'm not so sure.

Any reason why the reception would or wouldn't reach Greenwich.

Comments

• Options
    All the commentaries are on BBC Radio Kent and as you get nearer London the signal gets weaker. Trouble with DAB is that the signal is either on or off, so it's great if you're in the right area but useless if not.
  • Options
    Its so hit or miss with digital. I have recenty bought a new stereo with a DAB as well as AM and FM tuners. I cannot get one Station!!. Yet I can get excellent FM/AM signals. I have a DAB clock radio in my bedroom upstairs and can get quite a few channels (even Talksh*t). I understand that it can even be about where in a room you place the aerial - the nearer the window, the better. It doesn't surprise me the kind of comments on here today about iffy signals.
  • Options
    Don't rely on DAB for the Kent commentaries- But if you want a wider selection of radio generally- it's the way to go-

Get a decent one though- i bought the Pure Evoke 3- £180 ish about a year ago- brilliant radio with a hard drive- but i listen to a lot of classical music which needs the quality.

Take a look at the customer reviews on amazon if you are going to get one- IMHO- they give a very good idea of the quality of the product
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Badger[/cite]I Was thinking about buying a DAB Radio but after reading from other posters who couldn't get todays match i'm not so sure.

Any reason why the reception would or wouldn't reach Greenwich.

Because the commentary was on BBC Radio Kent. If it was on BBC London, it would have been loud and clear. But BBC London decided to have West Ham and Spurs on instead of us.

DAB radios are pretty damn good - technically, the sound quality is slightly worse than FM (you won't notice, though), but practically, it's crystal-clear because there are no pirates on DAB. And you get more choice.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Its so hit or miss with digital. I have recenty bought a new stereo with a DAB as well as AM and FM tuners. I cannot get one Station!!. Yet I can get excellent FM/AM signals. I have a DAB clock radio in my bedroom upstairs and can get quite a few channels (even Talksh*t). I understand that it can even be about where in a room you place the aerial - the nearer the window, the better. It doesn't surprise me the kind of comments on here today about iffy signals.

You might need a new aerial for good DAB reception on your stereo - an FM aerial will do for both if you're in a very strong reception area, but if you're not, then you should consider getting a proper DAB aerial on the roof. It's the same principle as digital TV - the signals are weaker so you may need a better aerial.
  • Options
    I'm also thinking of getting a DAB radio - does anyone in the Sidcup area know if you can pick up BBC Kent without having to go mad on aerials etc?
  • Options
    Well i picked Kent radio up, but could only just about make out what was being said though.

Was much better listening to that than Chris Kamara going mad over the spurs game.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Peakie_Rocket[/cite]I'm also thinking of getting a DAB radio - does anyone in the Sidcup area know if you can pick up BBC Kent without having to go mad on aerials etc?

I couldn't get it in Sidcup, but mine's only a cheapy.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Peakie_Rocket[/cite]I'm also thinking of getting a DAB radio - does anyone in the Sidcup area know if you can pick up BBC Kent without having to go mad on aerials etc?

I imagine you might be alright with a rooftop aerial hooked up to your stereo - depends how close you are to the M25, really. That's the set-up I've got at home here in Charlton, and it tries to pick up both Kent and Essex stations, but they sound terrible (and worse still, cancel out some London stations). You might be better off in outer London, though. Of course, you'll be able to pick us up on BBC London (when we're on DAB there).

But I couldn't pick up the Kent stations on my portable from my parents' house (nearer Avery Hill/ New Eltham, mind) when I had a quick go on Christmas Day.

I'd buy locally and ask to try in the shop, if at all possible.
  • Options
    Even if you can get Radio Kent's coverage you end up with a female commentator called Emma Jones, who mispronounced most of our player's names. Then waxee lyrical about how Paddy had just scored his first goal in Charlton colours, not quite the stato Mottie is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Emma Jones is BBC London - obviously Kent are just taking the feed from them...
  • Options
    What about getting BBC Radio Kent through Sky - can it be done if its not already tuned in?
  • Options
    BBC Radio Kent is not yet available on Sky, though I believe it is planned to be!

There is another Am transmitter on 1602 - though it broadcasts from Tunbridge Wells, may not be strong enough for local reception in NW Kent and SE London. Worth a try though.
  • Options
    Why bother with the DAB radio - just go to the match and you can watch and listen to it live.
  • Options
    Alternatively, pay 35 quid per year or whatever and listen online.... It's better now that it's a separate company because its 'what they do' so they are more responsible. When The club used to do it some matched never were heard, and I often heard the wrong match, with only occasional reports from the CAFC match. Now, given that I'm thousands of miles away, DAB was never really an option for me.
  • Options
    You need to be a dab-hand to get it to work well, you know.
  • Options
    we have one in the house, great. would like one for the car but they do not seem to have them yet
  • Options
    DAB was actually first available in cars before in static recievers. It was not considered good enough though and many manufactuers didn't use it.
    DAB is still very poor, the reception or indeed lack of it in many parts of the country is ridiculous.
    Annologue will still be there until either DAB sort themselves out or someone else does it properly.
  • Options
    http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/9153219.htm

Had this for a while now, it's pocket size with great reception and nice sound (although I am using Senheissers but the supplied headphones were okay).

Great for football and not using up all your data listening to 6 music or Absolute 80s.
  • Options

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/9153219.htm

Had this for a while now, it's pocket size with great reception and nice sound (although I am using Senheissers but the supplied headphones were okay).

Great for football and not using up all your data listening to 6 music or Absolute 80s.

Do you find the battery lasts longs enough? For listening to TMS while attending Test Matches I ended up buying a traditional pocket radio with LW, as the battery life is massive in comparison
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On average I think I use it for two/three hours per week (in stints) and charge every two/three weeks(ish).

Although it says on the website 5 hours, it seems a bit more.