Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is it April 1st already?

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/lewgreennews/display.var.1909405.0.sweet_gesture_to_fight_drunkenness.php

i can just see it now!

"Oi you looking at my bird?" " yeah you want it? come on then" "oh never mind here's a lollipop"

Comments

• Options
    unbelievable!!!
  • Options
    nothing worse than being dehydrated when you're about to stab someone.........
  • Options
    Hmmmm, lolly or a kebab...
  • Options
    what a poxy joke
  • Options
    Another utter waste of taxpayers money!!

Mind you, if youre a wheelchair bound, lesbian, ethnic minority, single mother out on your Xmas do in the borough of Lewisham, now you can get a part bag AND your cab home paid for by the local council. Result!!!
  • Options
    So the bit where is says it's worked in other places can be safely ignored then?

And Dan WTF has this got to do with Lesbians or ethnic minorities going shopping in Lewisham?

If I wanted to read that sort of cliche'd bollox I'd go on the Charlton Loyal site : - (
  • Options
    I know the article states that it has worked elsewhere (at other busy centres such as Witney and Watford) but I'd like to see some more evidence rather than a bland statement.

I just can't see this working - if this does, then terrific, let's do it everywhere. But it seems rubbish to me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]I know the article states that it has worked elsewhere (at other busy centres such as Witney and Watford) but I'd like to see some more evidence rather than a bland statement.

I just can't see this working - if this does, then terrific, let's do it everywhere. But it seems rubbish to me.

And your evidence for that is? You said it was "unbelievable." What bit didn't you believe?

It's a typical crap press article that gives a silly headline about lollipops and then doesn't back it up with any facts or background and they do that cos they want to get just the re-action that it has got here.

It may well not work, I've no idea but it's being dismissed on what grounds other than "I've never heard of that before so it must be wrong". Would have been good to have had some facts and figures from Watford but that's the crap journos again.

We all know that drinking water stops you having a hangover (at least not such a bad one) so there is at least something to this. At least come to it with an open mind and ask the question Why?
  • Options
    I'd imagine this is just typical crappy journalism as Henry says.

It is well recognised that when there is a greater presence of non old bill "community" type organisations on the street after chuck out and into the early hours to ensure people don't fall in to a gutter and to ensure quick response to any violence that levels of injury and violence goes down. I would have thought that the journo has picked up on the lollypop bollox and not focused on the important presence of sober individuals in the early hours.
  • Options
    Yes, I would have liked to see some facts and figures, I like to understand how they arrived at this conclusion. It seems too outlandish to me.

We've all seen pubs in town centres, Bexleyheath etc, empty out at closing time with groups of lads intent on trouble. Will they respond to this? Apparently they will according to the 'pilots' - I just am not convinced.

Coming to it with an open mind? I am completely open to anything that stops this crap in our streets every weekend and allows me to feel safer about both my kids being out.

If I am wrong, I will be the first to applaud a genius idea that no-one had thought of before - that doesn't stop me voicing my doubts in advance. Unbelieveble? Yes, that's still how I feel!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    and you keep voicing your doubts stonemuse, dont let anyone stop you.
  • Options
    I only posted it as a bit of fun but as per usual someone has taken it all too seriously!
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]So the bit where is says it's worked in other places can be safely ignored then?

And Dan WTF has this got to do with Lesbians or ethnic minorities going shopping in Lewisham?

If I wanted to read that sort of cliche'd bollox I'd go on the Charlton Loyal site : - (

I too would like to see our streets safer but would much rather that central and local Govt. put money into getting more coppers on the streets, taking them away from all the paperwork and targets they have to concern themselves with these days, and have less of what, in my humble opinion, is a typical quick fix / lip service / gimmick solution, that seem to be all the rage with our current political "masters".

Its was a pointed dig at yet another hair-brained council backed scheme. Please try and read what I wrote Ben and no read into to it anymore than is actually there.
  • Options
    This country needs anger management on a mass scale if you ask me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sco[/cite]This country needs anger management on a mass scale if you ask me.

I blame Andrew Mills!!!