Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Marcus Bent

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
Marcus Bent has scored twice for Wigan...can we get him back now big Chris is injured as well....

Comments

• Now scored more goals for Wigan than Charlton
  • Hat trick!
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Now scored more goals for Wigan than Charlton

....in one match (or so it seems)

Dare I say it, could have done with his physical presence up front for us today.
  • I think even with our striking problems we'll be better off without him.

Coming back to us he'll put even less effort in as he'll see us as a step down because he's scored a few goals in the Premiership, and as Wigan will no doubt want to make his move permanent at the end of the season, he won't care about us.

Instead he'll strut around on the pitch thinking he's above it all, and wait for the end of the season...
  • I'm pleased...

Currently he's still a Charlton player and will be next year, that should persuade Wigan either to take him on-loan again next season, or pony up some money for a transfer fee, whereas a couple of months ago most of us would be pleased to see him leave on a free.
  • keep him away! hope he carries on banging them in for Wigan cos he'll never do it for us so it'll hopefully lead to a permanent move. Am surprised he's scored so many goals for them though, last season who'd have thought that out of our 2 Bents, Marcus would've scored more Prem goals by Xmas.
  • That's because Marcus is playing every week.
    And Baby Bent is lucky to make the bench.

You get more chances to score if you actually play!

Crazy. But I agree - who would have thought it.
  • not sure what is funnier though , the fact that Agahowa came on as sub and was taken off or the attendance which was less than 16,000 for a derby
  • why couldn't we get the best out of Marcus,he used to cause us no end of problems when he played against us yet we couldn't motivate him shame.
  • as poor as his attitude is i'd rather have him out there than mcLeod cos he is a better player and the team would benefit imo but i doubt he'll come back
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2007
    He could score ten in the next game for Wigan for all i care.

Never want him back.
  • Marcus Bent is on a season long loan without the option for Wigan to return him. He will then either be bought by Wigan or released on a free.

He won't be comming back!
  • is he scoring because he is now being given chances by more creative players around him?
  • Marcus isn't the best stiker around but he's certainly better than he ever showed for us. People slag off Curbs for buying him but the initial problem when he came was a recurrent injury which mean't we didn't get anything like the best out of him in that first half season.

He was clearly more interested in his abilities to score in a different sort of box last season and when we needed him, he was surly, preoccupied, and incredibly lazy. For his lack of dedication, I wouldn't want to see him back in a Charlton shirt ever again. I just hope we get some reasonable dosh for him in compensation for letting us down so badly.
  • I didn't want MB to leave on loan, I thought he looked good at the start of the season for us and I still think he is better than any forwards we have at the moment, but understand why we wanted to get him off the wage bill. Even last season under Pards I though he put in a string of good performances that never quite translated into goals.

Interesting comments from Steve Bruce:
    “I have tried to sign Marcus three times and he has turned me down. So he owes me that hat-trick. “It didn’t quite work out because I could not afford him. But, thankfully, I have got him now — at least for a few more weeks, anyway.”

Anyone know what the deal is? Sounds like we might have some recall option in January, although presumably Wigan would first have the option to buy for a fixed price eg. £1M.
  • Think Marcus Bent had his Lisbie v Liverpool-esque moment on Saturday, all down hill from now!
  • He's got 18 months on his contract with us.
  • I doubt they'll want him to leave with Heskey sick note there, mind you perhaps we want him for cover to big chris.. I do hope not.
  • I am sorry, but with the attitude Marcus Bent has had since the start of this season he is a far superior player to big Chris.
  • edited December 2007
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]I am sorry, but with the attitude Marcus Bent has had since the start of this season he is a far superior player to big Chris.[/quote]

Technically MB is better than BC. The problem is that MB only does it when he can be arsed and he never could be for us. he has even said somewhere that last season he could not really be bothered. I cannot see MB brining his attitude from Wigan back to us if he were to return, more likely a sulk to the end of the contract. £2 million was always too high for him even Moyes thought it was a steal, probably Curbs's worst bit of business.

If I recall correctly he had already lost his place in the starting line up before he went out on loan.
  • Sponsored links:

• how much would you expect to pay for an established 29 year old premiership striker?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]how much would you expect to pay for an established 29 year old premiership striker?[/quote]

Difficult to say really, what is an established Premiership striker - 20 goals a season? minimum £10+ mill. Would not class MB as an established Prem striker but one who has only played in the pre with a poor goals and assists record, therefore £1-2 mill.
  • There is some serious rose-tinted goggles being worn to view this worm.

I don't care if he gets another 4 hat-tricks before New Year, I don't want him back at our club as he does not give a monkeys and we cannot afford to carry plebs like that.

We get £1.5 - £2 mill for him and I'm happy. Money eases a few headaches and may even give Pards something to waste spend in January ;-)
  • Spot on Carter.

I don't care if he plays like Pele from now until the end of the season, I don't want to see the arrogant lazy prick ever pull on a Charlton shirt again.
  • Agreed PITL, and for anyone thinking how much we missed him, i'll offer you one stat.

Marcus Bent never scored a single league goal for us at the Valley. Not once.
  • He could've done better for us but I can't help thinking that much of this extreme vitriol aimed at him stems from the tabloid tales. Once he got a run in the team earlier this year I felt he played well and worked hard but maybe never got the goal confidence he needed which was hard when playing in a struggling team.

He would do better for us than any of the other strikers at the club.

FACT!
  • If we got him back would he do a job for us or just be his normal lazy self?
  • edited December 2007
    He could've done better for us but I can't help thinking that much of this extreme vitriol aimed at him stems from the tabloid tales. Once he got a run in the team earlier this year I felt he played well and worked hard but maybe never got the goal confidence he needed which was hard when playing in a struggling team.

He would do better for us than any of the other strikers at the club.

Agreed. He even said himself at the begining of the season that he would concentrate on football this season as he realised he was not held in high regard by the fans.
    FACT!
  • Don't ever want him anywhere near the team, the squad or the Club ever again. He epitomised everything that went wrong last season. I just find it all the more galling that he is doing the business for a small, relegation-threatened club this year in the Prem. (And here speaks one of his former shirt sponsors...)
  • [cite]Posted By: millaphile[/cite]
    Agreed. He even said himself at the begining of the season that he would concentrate on football this season as he realised he was not held in high regard by the fans.
    FACT!

Wow, that was good of him! So last season when we were in the shit he wasn't concentrating on football but this year, now he's playing for a transfer, he is going to. What a guy!

He can stick Saturday's matchball where the sun don't shine as far as I'm concerned!