Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

I've noticed something interesting with Charlton fans at the moment.....

WSSWSS
edited November 2006 in General Charlton
Every week just a couple of days before kick off people are saying things like:

"I'm looking forward to this week's game",

"I can't wait for Saturday",

"Feeling really positive about this weekend".

Does anyone else think that this is very strange given our current predicament? Is it the past couple of years of "Boring Football" or are we just going mad?

Comments

• It's because there is something obvious at stake. In previous years we haven't really been at risk of going down or doing much else so each game was less important.
  • i think its more than that Kigelia, to be honest. A couple of the last seasons we have had, at times, realistic shouts at Europe. But even then, i'm not to sure the enthusiasm levels were much higher than they currently are.

Can see it changing very quickly though if results don't pick up soon.
  • Over the last few years mid-table mediocrity has been the norm, we've generally beaten the teams we should beat, lost to the top five, but other than a few hiccups we've played to form.

This is the first season since our first in the EPL (and then we were favourites for relegation) when we actually have something to prove, that's not just the players but includes the coach/management, the club itself and even extends to us the fans.
  • [cite] BlackForestReds:[/cite]
    This is the first season since our first in the EPL (and then we were favourites for relegation) when we actually have something to prove, that's not just the players but includes the coach/management, the club itself and even extends to us the fans.

Good point
  • Yes i have noticed we are all starting to travel again
  • [cite] Tavern:[/cite]Yes i have noticed we are all starting to travel again

do i know you?
  • Despite the position it's a more enjoyable experience.

The last 2/3 seasons were dull, and predictable, with little entertainment.

The whole club seemed stale and lethargic.

I'm feeling similar to our first couple of seasons in the Prem, there's more buzz around, the atmosphere at games is improving, and the football being played is more attractive.
  • The team need the support more than ever at the moment, plus the football is more enjoyable & we seem to be a killer pass or a goal away from being a 'bloody' good side, just as we are only a bad performance or two from being a terrible one.
  • [cite] DaveStorry:[/cite]
    The whole club seemed stale and lethargic.

I'm feeling similar to our first couple of seasons in the Prem, there's more buzz around, the atmosphere at games is improving, and the football being played is more attractive.

fully agree, sometimes change is needed for change sake.
  • [cite] Curb_It:[/cite]
    [cite] Tavern:[/cite]Yes i have noticed we are all starting to travel again

do i know you?
    No i dont think so
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite] Tavern:[/cite]
    [cite] Curb_It:[/cite]

do i know you?
    No i dont think so

a tavern that curb_it doesn't know ?

do i know you?
    No i dont think so

do i know you?
    No i dont think so

do i know you?
    No i dont think so

• posted 4 times ????...its a sign we're going to hit 4 goals on saturday...you mark my words...
  • I agree, the relegation battle has brought a lot of enthusiasm back into following Charlton.

Just my luck I have seen 2/3 seasons of dull, boring, predictable football and the season I am starting to get that buzz again is the one im exiled in the north. I think I am going to go to Wigan/Reading away, may well make the short trip to Sheffield and then Spurs on the 9th of December.

Something has sparked enthusiasm amongst the ranks, maybe the threat of relegation has made people, like myself, realise how lucky we are to be in the Premiership
  • [cite] ltgtr:[/cite]
    [cite] Tavern:[/cite]

do i know you?
    No i dont think so

i would have laughed if you had posted that once.
  • so you didn't laugh four times then ?
  • so you didn't laugh four times then ?
  • i might have raised a smile.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bring back the good old away days at Bristol City and Bury that's what I say.....It's good to have something to try and hang onto, rather than just plain old mid table ....I would rather be fighting for something rather than being like Mr Blue eyes who goes un - noticed throughout his school years...Bring the fight on and lets have another 5,500 at Bristol City away. Those were the days I fell in love with the mighty CAFC, what a buzz it was.
  • I well remember the mass punch-up at Bristol City! With all the ammo handily placed in skips etc outside!

Those were the days indeed! Fantastic atmosphere!
  • [cite] sporaddick:[/cite]I well remember the mass punch-up at Bristol City! With all the ammo handily placed in skips etc outside!

Those were the days indeed! Fantastic atmosphere!

A cup tie as I recall.
  • BFR

That's right it was an FA cup tie but it was a right old day out!
  • That was a magnificent day! Being chased up the road. My first experience of the romantic away cup tie !!!!
  • Robson got the equaliser, I remember Minto getting booed after a Bristol City player kicked the ball out of play when one of our players got injured - Minto played the ball to one of our players at resumption rather than give the ball back...what else, getting ripped off buying some beers on the train out (we were told the train would be "dry" beforehand, so we didn't bring any beer with us) and then going home we couldn't find an offy that was open...and a train spotter on the train home who was obsessively detailing the times each trains arrived in the stations and writing it down in a notebook. A good day out, I think Carlo got the winner in the replay...
  • BFR

Again you're right - Robson did get the equaliser - did Allison score their goal?

Robson got booked for jumping up on the railings behind the goal as I recall.

I can remember screaming at Minto not to give the ball back as there were only minutes to go and we were pressing for the winner.
  • i remember a fantastic day out at port vale in the nineties. it was during the promotion to the premiership. the club laid on coaches for all. i remember there being about 50. it was a great atmosphere if not the best of games. we drew 1-1 as i recall, but just a great day out chanting 'THE REDS ARE GOING UP AND ARE YOU GOING TO BELIEVE US'. what a brilliant memory from the lower league. if only we can bring back those days in the premiership. maybe we can't as we may never be the team at the top that is on a constant high, as we have proved we can be in Championship.