Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Own up....

Who hasn't bought a poppy?...

Comments

• Me- I don't, but i always stick a tenner in the collection jar.

Don't know why- my dad always did the same
  • Bought mine yesterday & have already started pestering other people in office to buy one. One charity that deserves the British Publics full attention.
  • Bought two poppies so far yhis week but likely to buy more as I keep losing em.
  • Always wear my poppy with pride.
  • Me, shamefully. Just haven't seen a seller yet.

Will hunt one down at lunch.
  • I was in Brize Norton at the weekend - no surprise that there were poppy sellers absolutely everywhere.
  • this was a topic on the radio yesterday,about the sellers being a lot harder to find now.
  • ive not seen one. perhaps i walk through cannon street with my eyes closed as there's normally one there?

there are probably less of them due to being scared they're going to get mugged.
  • Haven't seen a 'seller' yet.
  • Not seen a seller yet but will of course purchase one.

Four of us are of to The Somme for the rememberance weekend (well I wasn't going to go to Wigan after last season, even with the free tickets, it was awful) - after we experienced a very moving day at Ypres last month.

Pop on the War Graves Commission website, search for your surname - and be amazed! There's 30 of mine and although none of them are related it's still spooky seeing your name on places like the Menin Gate (I know AFKA would not be impressed as there's probably 100,000 of him). I intent to vist all 30 sometime during my lifetime now - though one is in Baghdad, so that could be interesting!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2006
    Every politician should be compelled to visit the First World War battle fields and cemeteries as a condition of office.

They may just think twice about being so gung ho in involving themselves in wars that do not concern them.
  • it is one of the great things about this country that so many years and generations on, there are some people (not all) who don't forget.
  • Menin Gate and Tynecot cemetary are two of the most humbling experiences a human can encounter.

There is also a little museum outside of Ypres which has images which are never seen in this country. Abslolutely harrowing.
  • edited November 2006
    We went to Tynecot on a normal Sunday afternoon in September - there were at least 100 people wandering around, which really surprised me. The really moving part is the number of graves just marked "To a soldier of the Great War". I was also truelly amazed at the number of cemetaries - I had no idea there was that many. Compared with the French Cemetary we saw the Commonwealth ones are like 5 star hotels.

The Museum is fantastic - I believe it is the only one that still has the original trenches around it and the photos are engrossing.

To manage the War Graves worldwide would be my second favourite job.

http://www.cwgc.org/
  • Got one from the Eltham Conservative Club on Saturday night when I was at a function there.
  • I dont suppose any of you that have yet to purchase a poppy have been in a pub this week? I've seen Poppies available in all the pubs Ive been in........hic!
  • No! Dont Give anything to Charity even if it is a good cause and this one is. Go On Have a Pop!
  • Addickted - I've just been on the war graves site and searched my surname, which is not the most common surname......it really hits home.
  • [cite] ns_eb_rj_s?:[/cite]No! Dont Give anything to Charity even if it is a good cause and this one is. Go On Have a Pop!
    ..Ok, I will....tight carnt
  • Nothing tight about it. The charitys you dont give to might think you are tight too! Are we supposed to give to everyone?
  • Sponsored links:

• i went to Ypre with my school when i was 15/16..
    even at that age it was most certainly an experiance i'll never forget..
    actually getting to walk around those trenches & the old battle mounts
  • Bought mine yesterday - two sellers in the main shopping area of Canary Wharf. Glad to say they were very busy, and there was even a queue to get a poppy from them.

Always brings a lump to the throat when you see these ex-soldiers, as these two were. One didn't look easy on his feet, nut still prepared to stand there and collect money for their comrades.
  • Both my daughters have been to the Menen Gate on 11/11 and found it a very moving experience. Their great grandfather like a great many kept a wonderful diary of his journies across Europe at that time and they were able to see at first hand what he had detailed in his thoughts. A trip I must make along with a tour to the concentration camps. The D Day beaches are fascinating too especially the Point Du Hoc where the Canadian Rangers made an early assault knowing full well that several of them would not make it to the top.

A man calls round with his tin so I have donated already
  • Big reports last year that they just cant get any volunteers to sell them as the veterans are older now and have either passed away or aren't able to stand around for hours due to old age.
  • I don't buy them but always donate money as someone else says upthere ^^^^

I don't need to wear a poppy to remember... or to let people know i remember
  • [cite] carlingaddick:[/cite]i went to Ypre with my school when i was 15/16..
    even at that age it was most certainly an experiance i'll never forget..
    actually getting to walk around those trenches & the old battle mounts

Went to Normandy with the school when I was 15 and went to both the British and American cemeteries.

The US one for Omaha beach is really moving. Crosses every where for around a 500/700 yard radius on this small hillock. Very moving and unbelievable that this many died on just one beach.

My other halfs Grandfather and his brother landed in one of the latter waves with the Cameronian Regiment and fought through Normandy and into Belgium and on into Germany. Heart breaking story is that Alec came across the body of his brother who had been shot through the head whilst attacking a German machine gun nest just a few hours beforehand.

I dont think later generations will really appreciate what these average Joe Bloggs did for this country during the war and just like the Canadians that Latimer mentioned they did it knowing there was a very good chance they wouldnt come back.

RIP
  • edited November 2006
    Latimer - Funny you should mention the Canadian Commandos as I was talking to my other half's grandfather at the weekend and he mentioned that they were mostly based around where he lived / lives in Somerset. He knew quite a few of them well as their and his barracks were close and told me of the raids they went on where something like only 10% returned. Brought a lump to my throat when he was telling me what they did.
  • Fortunately neither of my grandads were involved in D-Day. I'm proud of both of them, but the thing that makes me slightly prouder of my Dad's dad, is that he never claimed his medals. One time I asked him why not - he said "it was just something that had to be done".
  • edited November 2006
    Somehow managed to do a double post!
  • [cite] F-Blocker:[/cite]Fortunately neither of my grandads were involved in D-Day. I'm proud of both of them, but the thing that makes me slightly prouder of my Dad's dad, is that he never claimed his medals. One time I asked him why not - he said "it was just something that had to be done".

Exactly the attitude that would be missing today.

My grandfather volunteered into the RAF. Left navigator school in 39 as part of a class of 42. He and his mate went to Coastal Command and the other 40 went to Bomber Command.

In 45 there was only him and his mate left alive.