Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who is the funniest comedian or entertainers of all time

edited December 2007 in Not Sports Related
Who makes you really laugh and who is your all time favourite comedian/entertainer.

Comments

• Simon Jordan
  • Of the current crop - Peter Kay.
    I've always been a fan of Ronnie Barker - reminds me of my grandad.
  • Spookily like F-Blocker.

PK is brilliant and for me is way funnier than Ricky Gervais who with Peter Kay, have to be the top two at the moment in the UK.

Ronnie Barker, in an age when the word genius is used far too much, is a true one. His straight acting was sensational as well.

(any ideas of the names of the last two he did? one was as Churchill's Butler)

Eric Morcambe, Spike Milligan and Tommy Cooper ( who i don't really get though) have to be there in the all timers list
  • Billy Connelly is the funniest man ever to have walked the earth, LOCKED ON FACT.
  • [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]Of the current crop - Peter Kay.
    I've always been a fan of Ronnie Barker - reminds me of my grandad.

Spot on, add Tommy Cooper to that list as well.

Billy Connelly is about as funny as a toothache !!
  • I agree with Ronnie Barker. All round brilliance!!!

What is funny about Billy Connelly?
  • Tommy Cooper without a doubt.

I agree with Peter Kay from the current crop.

Of the TV show mob, I thought some of Harry Enfields and Katherine Tates characters were top notch (and some absolute shite!). Little Britain gets repetetive and predictable but some good stuff first time you see it.
  • Tommy Cooper. Didnt have to say anything.

And Peter Sellers in his Pink Panther role.

And the 'Im sorry I havent a clue gang' makes me laugh.

Yes I am very old.....
  • Tommy Cooper - all-time
    Ross Noble - now
  • Peter Kay now

I like Billy Connelly and he plays a mean banjo.

All time, not sure. Maybe Dave Allen or Jackie Mason or someone else I've forgotten. Woody Allen as a film maker.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Eltham_addick Billy Connelly is about as funny as a toothache !!

Now if Billy connelly had said that he migt have uttered something marginally funny ;-)

Forgotten about Dave Allen, seemed risque when it was on 1st time round and seems dated now.

But didn't i laugh at the time!! :-)
  • For those of a certain age - Derek and Clive. Don't know why lots of swearing was so funny but at the time it was.
  • [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Eltham_addick Billy Connelly is about as funny as a toothache !![/cite]
    [cite]

Now if Billy connelly had said that he migt have uttered something marginally funny ;-)

His Chinese takeaway last supper joke is one of the funniest things I have ever heard. I bet Gump loves him : - )
  • [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]Tommy Cooper - all-time
    Ross Noble - now

Good shout on Ross Noble - really clever the way he goes off on such weird tangents and then brings it all back together again. Cracks me up.
  • Ronnie Barker was a fantastic comedic actor. Porridge was one of the pinnacles of comedy for me thanks to its cast and script.

Alastair Sim is another favourite of mine.

As for stand up comedians, they come and go as they tend to mirror society/trends. At various times Ben Elton, Billy Connelly, Eddie Izzard, Peter Kay, etc have been seen as the best. Can't say I really have someone to laud in this field at the moment, but Peter Kay is definitely a naturally funny guy.
  • Frank Carson
  • Different comedians for different moods really....

Light: Billy Connolly, Peter Kay, Mike Reid and, yes, even Bernard Manning.

Heavy: Dave Allen, Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Bill Maher.
  • chuckle borthers are great

jimmy "kin ell" jones

peter kay
  • Chris Rock
  • Forced to choose an all time fave, Morcambe and Wise.

As Sco says, stand ups come and go, like him at various times I have loved Frank Skinner, Eddie Izzard, Steven Wright. Bill Hicks deserves special mention too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Liked Phoenix Nights and That Peter Kay Thing, but his stand up got boring really quickly i thought. Same goes for Gervais, except that in his case, he didnt even manage two good shows, i thought Extras was complete rubbish.

In terms of stand up, Hicks was pretty incredible when he got it right - "Ladies, if men could do that to themselves, you'd be sat in here alone......watching an empty stage."
  • Best Bill Hicks line: "Why do Christians wear crosses round their necks? Do you think if Jesus comes back that he wants to see a fucking cross? Its like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on your jacket and saying, 'Hi Jackie, just thinking of Johnny."

Different class. And banned from most of the US networks in the "land of the free".......
  • Hale and Pace
    and
    Cannon and Ball

comedic giants.

OK, at least Hale or Pace, one of them I think, are Reds.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]For those of a certain age - Derek and Clive. Don't know why lots of swearing was so funny but at the time it was.

you c**t, you fu**ing C***, i told him you c**t, and he said, oi you f**king c**t lol I love derek and clive, peter cook genuis
  • favourite Tommy Cooper story....

A cabbie had picked him up in town as a fare and thought he might be on to a decent tip. He said he laughed throughout the journey and when Tommy had paid, he put something in the drivers top pocket and said

'have yourself a nice drink on me'

cabbie thought his luck was in, got round the corner and looked in his pocket, he had slipped a teabag into it.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]For those of a certain age - Derek and Clive. Don't know why lots of swearing was so funny but at the time it was.[/quote]

you c**t, you fu**ing C***, i told him you c**t, and he said, oi you f**king c**t lol I love derek and clive, peter cook genuis[/quote]

Agreed, Peter Cook was a genius. In the last years of his life he used to phone late night radio shows pretending to be different people and just take over the whole show.
  • The Chris Morris/Peter Cook tapes are works of two geniuses
  • Billy Connelly is very funny.

Derek and Clive stuff always gets me laughing, downright offensive but damned funny.

of recent performers I really find Marcus Brigstocke very funny, although Ross Noble is a genius - heard a radio broadcast of a routine he did then ended up with him singing the theme tune from Superted.

Peter Kay is good but I have heard suggestions (allegedly of course) that the source of his material is not always his good self. Not necessarily an issue if credit is given of course and may not be true.
  • Most comics have other writers. The two Ronnies and M &W always did
  • new age i like kevin bishop, he is the blondish lookin fellow on mock the week! v funny man

old, ronnie barker, lyrical genius, his word play is second to none!