Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jailed for calling a teddy "Mohammed"

edited November 2007 in Not Sports Related
Disgraceful......Britain should threaten to cut our aid to Sudan unless she is released immediately

Comments

• Should have just called it Casius ...
  • [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]Disgraceful......Britain should threaten to cut our aid to Sudan unless she is released immediately

She was arrested for inciting racial hatred etc and threatened with 40 lashes (which admittedely is terrible) or a year in prison.

If she was found guilty of the same crime here she could spend up to 7 years in jail.

Just some perspective.
  • she was an intelligent woman, apparently, who would have been aware that what she did may have caused offence... stupid cow
  • Mohammed, Mohammed, Mohammed, Mohammed, Mohammed, Mohammed.....

There you go, look.....still here!!

Bloody stupid. Sorry but the world has gone mad. Next time someone calls me fat I'm going to get them nicked and thrown in the clinker
  • What a joke cant say no more just makes my blood boil
  • [cite]Posted By: Hillsys Up[/cite] Next time someone calls me fat I'm going to get them nicked and thrown in the clinker

hillsy you fat cnut

there you go still here , not in the clinker am i !!
  • See you Saturday old fella!!
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]Disgraceful......Britain should threaten to cut our aid to Sudan unless she is released immediately

She was arrested for inciting racial hatred etc and threatened with 40 lashes (which admittedely is terrible) or a year in prison.

If she was found guilty of the same crime here she could spend up to 7 years in jail.

Just some perspective.

But do you agree calling a teddy mohammed is inciting racial hatred?..
  • She was found guilty of insulting religion. Still stupid and largely a political decision from what i understand, but explainable as islam has big issues with idolatry and presumably the argument goes that calling the bear after the prophet is insulting to islam.

To be honest considering some of the thing the govt. in the Sudan have on their record she has got off very lightly probably due to the media coverage and the interventions by the UK govt.
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]she was an intelligent woman, apparently, who would have been aware that what she did may have caused offence... stupid cow

stupid cow? bit harsh. woman gives up her home comfort to go and try and do a bit of good by teaching the poor in shit conditions and you call her a stupid cow?

it was the children that name the teddy anyway not her.
  • Sponsored links:

• It could be argued that the Saudi's are inciting racial hatred.....
  • She may have been nieve at most not to be aware of the consequences of her actions but imprisionment is a ridiculous over-reaction to what occured.

The Sudan has a terrible human rights record and the actions of its army and govt. back militias are a disgrace and to me personally far more of a concern.

And this case also raises the issue of the blasphemy laws in this country.

Wrong as this imprisionment is cutting aid wouldn't hurt the government only the children starving in Darfur.

From Amnesty International Website

Human Rights Concerns
    Hundreds of thousands of people are believed to have lost their lives since the Darfur conflict erupted in February 2003. Systematic human rights abuses have occurred, including killing, torture, rape, looting and destroying of property by all parties involved in the conflict, but primarily by the Sudanese government and government-backed Janjawid militia. Though direct government participation in human rights abuses in Darfur has subsided, the Janjawid remains active in Darfur and Eastern Chad, despite the negotiated Darfur Peace Agreement (DPA). Civilians are increasingly at risk because of inter-rebel fighting due to deep divisions among the rebel groups concerning the DPA.

Over 2 million civilians have been internally displaced by the conflict and more than 215,000 have sought refuge in neighboring Chad. Food is reportedly scarce and sanitary conditions poor. Refugees are continued targets of Janjawid and Darfur rebel group activities in both Darfur and Eastern Chad. The fear of violence in Chad has become such that people are fleeing across the border into Darfur.

The Sudanese government has placed impediments and restrictions on access for humanitarian aid agencies. Aid providers are subject to untenable visa restrictions, organizations are limited in what materials they may use, and all aid providers are subject to arbitrary rule making by the Khartoum government. Aid organization's face their biggest challenge in attempting to operate in the insecurity in both Darfur and Chad. Aid providers have had food, equipment, and other materials seized by the various militias, and a number of aid workers have been killed or kidnapped. These aid organizations are struggling to operate in these conditions with frequent temporary suspension of activities. The result is humanitarian crisis, with some vulnerable populations completely cut-off from aid, and others subject to interruptions of vital support.

The Sudanese government appears unwilling to address the human rights crisis in the region and has not taken the steps necessary to curtail the activities of the Janjawid. The International Criminal Court has taken the first step in ending impunity in Darfur by launching investigations into human rights violations in Darfur. The Government of Sudan has refused to cooperate with the investigations, and international support for ICC activities in Sudan is necessary if impunity is to be addressed.

Updated January 28, 2007
  • She deserves to be lashed for calling a Teddy bear Mohammed... Teddies should be called Mr Cuddles or Paddington. Mohammed is a rubbish name for a teddy.

In this whole situation every one wins the Sudanese governement makes a point to it's own people, keeps the extremest element happy, and shows that they're willing to stand up to outside influences by 'western nations', at the same time not doing enough to upset the british aid coming into the country. At the same time British Foreign office will be claiming credit for getting her out quickly, and Brown will make a statement hopefully pushing the dodgy donations to the middle pages of the papers. The Sun can screem blue murder and sell loads of papers... and she can sell her story for £250k to the daily mail which will serialise the story over 5 days.... Is it wrong to be so cynical nowadays?
  • The Teddy has since fled the country and has been granted a UK visa by the Home office

He's now in a 3 bedroom semi in Greenwich with his other 24 family members all claiming benefit

He has no plans to learn English
  • I thought it was the Kids that Named the Bear not her, they should all get 40 Lashes instead....oh no it's because she is _________

(You can fill in the rest yourself)
  • [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]The Teddy has since fled the country and has been granted a UK visa by the Home office

He's now in a 3 bedroom semi in Greenwich with his other 24 family members all claiming benefit

He has no plans to learn English

LOL
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: T[/cite]She deserves to be lashed for calling a Teddy bear Mohammed... Teddies should be called Mr Cuddles or Paddington. Mohammed is a rubbish name for a teddy.

In this whole situation every one wins the Sudanese governement makes a point to it's own people, keeps the extremest element happy, and shows that they're willing to stand up to outside influences by 'western nations', at the same time not doing enough to upset the british aid coming into the country. At the same time British Foreign office will be claiming credit for getting her out quickly, and Brown will make a statement hopefully pushing the dodgy donations to the middle pages of the papers. The Sun can screem blue murder and sell loads of papers... and she can sell her story for £250k to the daily mail which will serialise the story over 5 days.... Is it wrong to be so cynical nowadays?[/quote]

T - You seem to have hit the nail squarely on the head!!!
  • Agree with Ormiston, spot on T.

Shame that the Sudanese Govt's narrow minded views don't make people reflect on their own prejudices but hardly a surprise.

BTW Riscardo re: Casius, Good one. : - )
  • I mean, we would never lock people up in this country, without charge for 28 days would we, oh no.
  • I'm really not getting this. It's ok to call one of your children Mohammed, but not a teddy?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I mean, we would never lock people up in this country, without charge for 28 days would we, oh no.
    I agree Rothko, we may be playing Devil's Advocate but it's true. We're not perfect guys, far from it.
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I mean, we would never lock people up in this country, without charge for 28 days would we, oh no.

Or 90 days. Would never even be suggested here.
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]I'm really not getting this. It's ok to call one of your children Mohammed, but not a teddy?

Since when has fundalmentalist religion of any type ever have to make sense. Islam is very strict about not having any images which is Islamic art is, while very beautiful IMHO, only patterns and designs but not pictures.

Similar to strict protestants sects in Scotland and Ireland for example and orthodox judaism.

All taken from the 2nd (I think) commandment

She's hardly a suspected terrorist....jeez..
  • [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I mean, we would never lock people up in this country, without charge for 28 days would we, oh no.

She's hardly a suspected terrorist....jeez..

Sorry guys you'll have to refresh my memory when was the last time we imprioned someone for naming a teddy in this country....? Errrrr
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]she was an intelligent woman, apparently, who would have been aware that what she did may have caused offence... stupid cow

stupid cow? bit harsh.

didn't realise the full story, just thought she was working in some private school in some rich arab nation... so yes stupid me and naive her
  • who gives a flying to be honest.

she's done wrong according to the government and laws of that country live by it. As people have to who come here or any other country.

admittedly the lashes would have been a tad over the top
  • I've just re-named my daughter's doll Mary....

I'm expecting the Sally Army to be smashing my door in at any moment...
  • [cite]Posted By: T[/cite] In this whole situation every one wins the Sudanese governement makes a point to it's own people, keeps the extremest element happy, and shows that they're willing to stand up to outside influences by 'western nations', at the same time not doing enough to upset the british aid coming into the country. At the same time British Foreign office will be claiming credit for getting her out quickly, and Brown will make a statement hopefully pushing the dodgy donations to the middle pages of the papers. The Sun can screem blue murder and sell loads of papers... and she can sell her story for £250k to the daily mail which will serialise the story over 5 days.... Is it wrong to be so cynical nowadays?

Good answer T....

She was naive at worst, but when in rome...
  • just another in the long line of innocent liverpudlains who have been locked up around the world for nothing

i am just concerned about teddy really.... so is it mohammad sherringham now?
  • Possibly the most ridicolous thing ive heard since that bloke got charged with having sex with a bike.Havent they got bigger problems to be dealing with than the name of stuffed toys ffs....