Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bjorn Borg - Lifelong Fan. FACT (www.cafc.co.uk)

WSSWSS
edited November 2007 in General Charlton
Tennis legend Bjorn Borg has spoken of his love of Charlton ahead of a visit to London next week.

Arguably the greatest tennis player the world has ever seen is now playing on the BlackRock Tour of Champions, which culminates at the Royal Albert Hall on December 9th.

And Borg has sent his backing for Alan Pardew's men's efforts to regain their Premier League status.

"We went went down last year but we Charlton fans hope they'll go back up again,” he said. "It's going to be tough because there are a lot of good teams, but they're doing OK so far.”

The interview was conducted as part of the promotion for the BlackRock Tour of Champions from December 4th-9th, which features Borg, John McEnroe, Goran Ivansievic, Pat Cash, Henri Leconte and many other former Wimbledon champions.

Bjorn, I heard you support British football team Charlton Athletic, is this true?

That's very true. It goes way back, it started with my father's father. He was a big fan of Charlton and took my father to quite a few matches when they played some exhibition games here in Sweden. So then I grew up with my father, he was a big Charlton man. He would talk about them all day, he had the flags and everything, so then I started to be a Charlton fan, too, and even today I'm a huge Charlton fan. I follow them all over, it doesn't matter where I am in the world, I always check out on the weekends if they're playing, if they win or lose - I hope the best for them.

How do you think this all came about, and why specifically Charlton?

I think Charlton was a big team, back many, many years ago. They were one of the better teams and I think that's why my grandfather was a big supporter and my father was a big supporter. They had some great players.

Can you remember the first time as a kid when you became aware of them?

I think I was seven or eight years old when I saw Charlton for the first time. My father took me to a game and I was really excited because I could see my father being such a huge fan of Charlton, so that was my first contact live with Charlton.

So you've been quite a few times to the stadium as well?

I've been quite a few times over the years. I've seen them over the years maybe 10, 15 times.

Do you have a shirt of them at all?

I have quite a few shirts, yes, of course. Quite a few years ago - they found out I was a big fan - they sent me quite a few shirts as a present.

Any specific players are really favourites of yours?

Not really, they lost quite a few players last year, but still they have a strong team. It doesn't matter if they win or lose, I'm still going to be huge fan of them.

All your life?

All my life.

Comments

• Options
    ha, great stuff.

We really should get him over and on the pitch at half time some time.
  • Options
    wow amazing that
  • Options
    I was always a big McEnroe fan and never sure about Borg. How different it might have been if I'd known this all those years ago...
  • Options
    Unfortunately, the tennis tour's website calls it a "bizarre obsession"
  • Options
    I just read that on the OS and now feel like I'm in some parallel universe!
  • Options
    Funny, I've ALWAYS known that Bjorn was a Charlton fan & I've always supported him because of that. I remember reading it somewhere back in the 70's & it just lodged in my mind.
  • Options
    An old story doing the rounds again,nothing new here,for those in the know he's been a supporter for a long time.FACT.
    Snooze......
  • Options
    I've heard it before, in the usual Celebrity Charlton discussions, but it's great to hear him talk about loving the club. Funny how reading that brought a broad smile to my face. Great stuff.
  • Options
    Was a ballboy for Bjorn at Wembley Arena for many years back in the 70's. I remember the thrill of being invited into his dressing room by him and his manager to have a load of stuff signed. Really nice chap, wish I knew that he was a Charlton fan at that time
  • Options
    Well I didnt know that and for me its cheered me up no end.

My wife was one of the screaming hordes of young ladies who used to queue up at Wimbledon especially to see Bjorn.

I too was also a McEnroe fan. If only I had known.

The best bit about the article is the way that the love of Charlton has continued through the Borg family for 3 generations. If only that happened a bit more here, and I mean across all clubs not particularly Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    all we need now is confirmation that Van Nistelrooy is really a Charlton fan.
  • Options
    Yes we had all heard the rumours but had never heard it before coming his own mouth so i never believed it. Lovely read.
  • Options
    great read, though he said on Soccer AM last year he was a Charlton fan
  • Options
    Yeah. It's alright I suppose, no Gary Bushell though is he? ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]Yeah. It's alright I suppose, no Gary Bushell though is he? ;-)

Very true, though he has just leaped above Jacko from Brush Strokes in the EuroFootsie Celebrity Fan League
  • Options
    Yep. Bjorn Borg has found himself nestled neatly between Jim Davidson and Rodney Trotter's mum. (Bushell is some way ahead, even Steve Ryder can't touch Bushell in the EuroFootsie Celebrity Fan League).
  • Options
    Where does Bradley from EastEnders rate? Bottom three I expect.
  • Options
    There was a full page thing about this in one of the home programmes about 3/4 years ago, this is old news to the club surely?????
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]

The best bit about the article is the way that the love of Charlton has continued through the Borg family for 3 generations. If only that happened a bit more here, and I mean across all clubs not particularly Charlton.

Well, it happened across 3 previous generations in my family - my 75 year old Dad is still a ST holder - and I wouldn't be surprised if many others can tell a similar story.

He tells about his grandfather's love of Charlton way back. Wouldn't mind betting it co-incided with Hans Jepson, the wonder Swede who played 11 games for us an amateur back in the early 50's. He scored the goals that saved Charlton from being doomed to relegation, instead finishing the season in mid-table.

Anyone who scored a hat-trick in a 5-2 win against Arsenal at Highbury is a LEGEND.
    Even in Sweden.
  • Options
    i was telling a dude here at work that he was CHARLTON AND HE DIDNT BELIEVE ME, LOL NOW I JUST SENT HIM (shitcaps) this link!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm third generation (at least) and my son is fourth.

My dad took me down to Charlton when I was young. I knew he went with his mate when he was in his teens but never really asked him how it was he got into supporting them.

Just before my nan died a few years back I went to see her regularly in hospital. Unfortunately she was suffering from dementia and some days were worse than others. She kept getting names wrong, not recognising people, mistaking me for my dad (I look like him when he was my age) and it was all pretty sad really. Then one day, in the middle of an incoherent ramble, she turns to me and says "So David (for that is my name!), do you still go down to watch Charlton? I remember when I used to go down there and stand on the big terrace years ago - we used to get soaked whenever it rained".
    She gave a little chuckle and then her mind was off somewhere else again. Brought a lump to my throat at the time as I'd just never realised and there was so much I wanted to ask her but the moment had gone. It still brings a tear to my eye today. RIP nan. x
  • Options
    'Shitcaps'? What did he do to deserve that nickname?

At least 3 generations of Charlton fan in my family, I'm fairly sure my great grandad was also a fan which would make 4.
  • Options
    Touching story Off -It

I'm third Gen and so my son and his cousins are 4th.

I had a great uncle who helped dig out the Valley in 1919.
  • Options
    "........ has marked the anniversary of the birth of Sir Henry Irving on 6 February 1838 with a ceremony at the foot of his statue on Charing Cross Road, London".

As you can see, our Henry who doesn't really want people to know how old he is, is really rather famous and is definitely
    the first generation of his family to support the Addicks. He has since outlived even his great uncle (who helped dig out the Valley in 1919) and is still, despite advancing years, willing to sit in silence at The Valley when we go a goal down and patiently wait for the half-time booing.

Our Henry is even honoured with his own Charlton chant going back across the generations:
    "Henry, Henry Irving..... ooh ooh, Henry, Henry Irving.....ooh, ooh!" ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy RedWouldn't mind betting it co-incided with Hans Jepson, the wonder Swede who played 11 games for usan amateur back in the early 50's. He scored the goals that saved Charlton from being doomed to relegation, instead finishing the season in mid-table.

Anyone who scored a hat-trick in a 5-2 win against Arsenal at Highbury is a LEGEND.
    Even in Sweden.

I doubt it actually. Hans Jepsson played for us in 1951, a mere 5 years before Björn Borg was born. So unless his parents were extremely young that would be a very late age for Borg senior to be "initiated" by Grandfather Borg.
  • Options
    a legend becomes a double legend - I wonder what teams ABBA support?
  • Options
    This is a great story. What a player he was. It would be great to get him over and presented to the crowd.
  • Options
    a legend becomes a double legend - I wonder what teams ABBA support?

Frida's a gooner. If Agnetha turns out to be an Addick I'll definately marry her! In my dreams
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Badger said:

An old story doing the rounds again,nothing new here,for those in the know he's been a supporter for a long time.FACT.

Snooze......

Miserable bleeder ain't ya!.............I wonder if he's still alive?
  • Options
    The legendary HugoZHackenbush posted in this thread!