Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Time for a freshen-up?

No, this is not a panic thread!!!

Even before tonight, which I have had a bad feeling about for a while on the grounds that Sheff Utd are a bogey side for us, I have been feeling that we will have to freshen up the side before Xmas, especially at home.

For my money, Reid is looking tired and needs to re-charge and I think Sam is also flattering to deceive on the right with little end product to his work. In addition, I think we need two strikers for home games because it gives us so much more goal threat.

I would have a little tinker with the side for Saturday and go with.....

Weaver
Mills - Sodje - Fortune - Powell (if fit)
Mouataokil - Semedo - Zheng - Thomas
Varney - Iwelumo
Subs: Randolph, Bougherra, Holland, Ambrose, McLeod

I re-iterate that this is not a panic measure after one loss (which could easily have been a 1-1 draw if Zheng had scored that chance) but more of a means to shake it up a bit and present our opponents with something a bit different to what they have been expecting.

In particular, Mouataokil could really give people some grief down the right hand side and would present an unknown quantity to defences and Varney would give Iwelumo support down the middle and could come back wide-right with Mouataokil tucking inside if we wanted to go back to 4-5-1.

Reid would, of course, come back in once he has had a break for a couple of games.

Comments

• Options
    Excellent post Ormiston.

I like the idea of a shake up at home because I think we've probably got some confidence problems there. I think if Sir Chris is fit then I'd like him to play because he really is a natural motivator and I think he gives us that little bit extra to maybe get over the nerves that we're showing at home.

He keeps people in the ground if we win at the end as well....... ;>)
  • Options
    Mmmmmmm

I'm inclined to agree that maybe Reidy could do with a break but I think Basey should be kept in. I'm a fully paid up member of the Chris Powell fan club but I'm sure the man himself would agree that bringing him in to keep Basey out is a bit too backwards.

I'd like to see Moutoakil back in the side maybe because I want to do the MOO-TOO-KILL chant but also because he has electrifying pace and we seemed to be lacking a bit of that tonight. Can't have everything I know but pacey players scare the living shit out of defences in this league, strength seems to be a key factor but lump vs pace normally ends up with pace winning. (Mills v Dicks circa 1999 just off the top of my head).
  • Options
    The only reason I left out Basey was because he did his groin tonight and has been ruled out for Saturday. Otherwise I have been a big fan of his and would have him in the first XI above Powell and Thatcher.
  • Options
    i've actually wanted Moo2 in the side for ages in that right-side midfield role for exactly this point on pace and flair. obviously he's not ousting mills and he was desperately unlucky to lose out the way he did. when Sam was banned for those 3 games i thought it was the perfect time to give it a go.

it's funny... i can't stand thomas... but after the first half saturday i tricked myself that he was doing fine, almost prepared to bite my tongue for him and then he returns to anonimity tonight, i just don't think he's ever going to show what he's capable of consistently!
  • Options
    Agreed on Thomas, I did not think he was that good against Preston either and did not understand why people were raving about him.

I might give Sam a crack on the left or maybe Ambrose until Reid comes back a bit fresher and I would not rule out giving Basey a try on the left of midfield seeing as he has a top left-foot and is clearly very comfortable in possession unlike ex-Wimbledon and Millwall man Thatcher!!!
  • Options
    OS reckons Basey is crocked so Moo2 might get a start at RB anyway saturday if mills switches to the left

powell isn't 100% ready yet and thatcher is miles off
  • Options
    I agree with everything above other than ZZ he was terrible last night, his touch was poor and his passing often left us in trouble. On his return he was great but apart from Preston he has not been himself lately. Let Ambrose have a few games to prove himself or probably not.
  • Options
    The thing is can Ambrose really hack it in the middle of the park in a 4-4-2 given that he tends to drift out of the game when played wide? I think Ambrose deserves a run but Mouataoukil gives us something down the right which no-one else has with his extreme pace and Ambrose in the middle of the park worries me a bit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]The thing is can Ambrose really hack it in the middle of the park in a 4-4-2 given that he tends to drift out of the game when played wide? I think Ambrose deserves a run but Mouataoukil gives us something down the right which no-one else has with his extreme pace and Ambrose in the middle of the park worries me a bit.

Agreed play Moo, Ambrose in the centre alongside Semedo and Thomas on the left.

He has long enough out of the team to realise as Thomas has that he cannot allow games to pass him by like he does.
  • Options
    I think if we go a couple of goals up in any match its Iwelumo who should be rested, the guy must be shattered poor fella.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Looks like Reidy needs a rest.

He's been great most of the season but it was evident in the Preston game that he was not up to usual level and last night only confirmed it.
  • Options
    Reid may need a rest but it could be that teams are figuring out that if you cut Reid out of the game, our creativity is gone, seeing as our delivery from out wide is so poor. Similar thing happened when teams realised that Murphy was pulling the strings a few years back. we need a creative wide man to take pressure off Reid and Thomas and Sam just ain't good enough. Thomas is full of promise but if he was any kind of player he'd be wrecking defences on a weekly basis at this level. Sam i hope will improve but again he's got a long way to go. That said i still think we'll win the league!
  • Options
    I need a rest too. Do you think if I asked nicely my firm might say, "yeah, we know that tomorrow's a work day Off_it and that you get paid to come into work, but don't worry about it old son - you have a couple of days off and put your feet up on full pay, cos you've been coming to work everyday for the last four months now and you deserve a bit of a rest".

Where do I sign???
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I need a rest too. Do you think if I asked nicely my firm might say, "yeah, we know that tomorrow's a work day Off_it and that you get paid to come into work, but don't worry about it old son - you have a couple of days off and put your feet up on full pay, cos you've been coming to work everyday for the last four months now and you deserve a bit of a rest".

Where do I sign???

lol - good call
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Thomas and Sam just ain't good enough. Thomas is full of promise but if he was any kind of player he'd be wrecking defences on a weekly basis at this level. Sam i hope will improve but again he's got a long way to go. That said i still think we'll win the league!
    You only have to look at how well Gillespie played last night to see the standard our wingers need to reach. I thought he was excellent. He played through the middle at times, supporting Beattie & he wasn't afraid to get down the wing either. He gave poor old Basey a nightmare throughout. For an old 'un, I thought he was probably their best player.
  • Options
    OA, I'd go with precisely the same team as you if Powell were fit. I suspect that Moo2 will come in and Mills switch to LB. That gives a chance for Ambrose to start which I think he deserves.
  • Options
    I think the Gillespie point is well made.

We need to have one very good wide/creative player rather than several average ones. Bring back Johnny Robinson I say. That wide player may be Andy Reid in which case we need more combatative midfielders than Thomas and Sam.

I know he gets a lot of stick but for me ZZ is a bolt on start because he has both energy and skill and as we have seen he gets into the box and gets the occasional goal. I know he missed a sitter on Tuesday.

And to be honest I am not too keen on Mills playing left back.

Sadly we seem to be way off a definitive starting 11 particularly when you consider players on loan.
  • Options
    I'd bring Magic into centre midfield and push ZZ up front with big Chris. We'd then have pace and strength in midfield with Mootoo and magic. ZZ played the support striker role very well at times with D Bent last season.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, for all his energy, skill and great runs off the ball, ZZ is a pretty poor finisher. I like the fella, but in relatively the short time he's been with us he's missed some right howlers!

[cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]I'd bring Magic into centre midfield and push ZZ up front with big Chris. We'd then have pace and strength in midfield with Mootoo and magic. ZZ played the support striker role very well at times with D Bent last season.

Queensland mate, either you are a tactical genius who can see things that qualified coaches who have been in the game all of their lives haven't - or else your idea of playing a midfielder up front and two defenders in midfield is totally bizarre, particularly when we have no injuries in midfield at present!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Unfortunately, for all his energy, skill and great runs off the ball, ZZ is a pretty poor finisher. I like the fella, but in relatively the short time he's been with us he's missed some right howlers!

Maybe ZZ has missed a couple lately - and the only reason he's had a chance to do that is because he's been in the right place at the right time despite his great movement and involvement all over the park.

ZZ reads the game well, and through intelligence and hard work gets himself in goalscoring positions. He won't always take every chance - who does? - but he's likely to score. And often enough, he'll chip in with goals like he has been doing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm a big fan of ZZ & can't see what the fuss is all about. I totally agree about Reid. He is by far our best player but he needs a rest both physically & mentally. My team for Saturday:

Weaver
    Mootoo Fortune Sodje Mills
    Ambrose ZZ Semedo Thomas
    Varney Big Chris
    Subs: Randolph, Holland, Reid, Sam, Boogie
  • Options
    Tactical genius off_it.
    Lloyd Sam has been off form recently, Mootookil has the speed and skill to play in front of Mills.
    Many Sheff Wed fans & David Moyes (who tried to sign him as a midfielder) would argue that Magic is a far better midfielder than defender.
    As for ZZ up front, well which current forward apart from Big Chris has scored more than him so far this season?
    Yes he misses a few but he's also a very clever player inside the box and can create, retain the ball, as well as score the odd goal.
  • Options
    No no no how about

Weaver
    Motokil, Fortune, Magic, Sodge, Mills
    ZZ, Semedo, Abmrose/Reid
    Big Chris, Baby Reg.