Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rail fare rises next year

I provide this as a public service to anyone who uses Southeastern railway - some of these are eye-watering! Travelcards are only going up by the rate of inflation, but if you have a rail-only ticket, get ready for a nasty shock...

big fare rises in January

Comments

• Options
    So commuters closer in (Abbey Wood, Lee, Lewisham) get their prices reduced, while us out in the sticks pay more (over £20 a month more from my station). Thanks Southeastern!

Still, these rises are nothing - wait until the High Speed link opens for domestic services!
  • Options
    I only use the Trains for Football now generally at Weekend's what's the Peak time service like since Connex were ousted ? Are these increases justified ?
  • Options
    I reckon they're putting those tickets in London into fare zones, which is why Abbey Wood gets a fare cut but Woolwich Arsenal gets a painful increase.
  • Options
    what will my increase be inspector as i only have a rail ticket?
  • Options
    The service got better after Connex was ousted, and has been fairly stable since it was privatised again as Southeastern.

But the real problem is that the timetable just can't cope with changes in demand- it was probably designed to suit patterns of commuting which, for many people, are well out of date.

I travel in quite early and the City building boom now means my train in from Charlton is rammed; they really need more early morning trains to take some of the pressure off - and to give City boys a few earlier options - but there's no chance of doing that since it probably won't make them any money.

We have extra trains in the evening (which are funded by Transport for London), but they stop just before the pubs turn out...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]what will my increase be inspector as i only have a rail ticket?

I reckon Charlton's fare will be the same as Blackheath's (since they're both in zone 3) which will be 17.80/ week.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]The service got better after Connex was ousted, and has been fairly stable since it was privatised again as Southeastern.

But the real problem is that the timetable just can't cope with changes in demand- it was probably designed to suit patterns of commuting which, for many people, are well out of date.

I travel in quite early and the City building boom now means my train in from Charlton is rammed; they really need more early morning trains to take some of the pressure off - and to give City boys a few earlier options - but there's no chance of doing that since it probably won't make them any money.

We have extra trains in the evening (which are funded by Transport for London), but they stop just before the pubs turn out...

having only one direct train to charlton at 5.48 then having to wait till 7.04 is rubbish as i cannot bear to change at london bridge.

must stop talking about trains... we might give ourselves a bad name!
  • Options
    Yep, Southeastern just havent been adaptable enough. The last train from Cannon St to Sittingbourne is currently 18:46, which is shite. From December, there's going to be a 19:30something. Wooohooo, a whole extra 45 mins in the pub instead of trekking over to Victoria.
  • Options
    I long for the day when a train company or utility company, council says we are acutally going to reduce the prices a fair bit.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]
    having only one direct train to charlton at 5.48 then having to wait till 7.04 is rubbish as i cannot bear to change at london bridge.

Yeah, it's quirks like that which are mental. They don't make any sense at all, and are probably because 30 years ago when they set the timetable the City was a ghost town after 6 with just a top hat blowing down Cheapside. (Or something like that.) And they don't fix that in the new timetable either.

Anyway, there's two car threads and I don't drive so I have to have a moan somewhere about some kind of travel ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    get on yer bikes instead (ducks down below parapit to avoid barrage) where's rothko!?
  • Options
    Trying to work out how to get from the Valley to Heathrow by 5.50 on Saturday by public transport. The Heathrow Express is the easy bit
  • Options
    bakerloo/jubliee isn't it?
  • Options
    about an hour if I recall which makes you, knackered... what times your flight?
  • Options
    Ride your bike!

Seriously, you haven't got a hope of seeing more than the first half and making that have you?
  • Options
    helicopter? hire a boat? did you watch top gear properly on Saturday? get on your bike :-)
  • Options
    I don't know why we are called trainspotters
  • Options
    So has Ken said anything about Travelcards yet?
  • Options
    Yes - inflation-rate increase for Travelcards.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]So has Ken said anything about Travelcards yet?

They are to be 5 feet square to fit advertising for Ken's latest ideas on them and will made of a biometric flattened human cloned from your stem cells to keep track of your movements. All profits will go the RWDV charity - Road Workers with Deja Vu - apparently a lot of sufferers out there as they feel like they have dug the same road up at least twice this year already.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On the whole I think Southeastern is quite reliable - the problems when they occur tend to be pretty bad, but they do seem to be less frequent now.

My main gripe is the number of trains that run with less than 10 carriages.
    The gaps between services might not be so bad if they were to more regularly put on the length of train that the platforms can safely deal with, meaning that they wouldn't already be so full by the time they reach Charlton in the morning.
  • Options
    They seem to be running two different types of Train on Southeastern. My usual one (from Gravesend) has more seats, the one I got from Charlton this morning seemed to have less seats but more standing space.

Agree that the service isn't that bad. It's a lot better than being stuck on the A2/M25 every day - less stressful anyway.

Also agree that they should have more carriages, but that could be down to the type of trains they run.

Will be fun seeing how much extra we get charged to use the high speed bullet train service in 2009. I can't wait for that as it will knock about 45 mins off my journey time.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    "So in return for increased revenue, good progress is being made and the quality of service and value for money we're providing to our passengers is improving."

Examples include:

35 stations expected to have Secure Station accreditation by the end of this year
    The repainting and rebranding of all 180 stations on its network by April 2009 is now well under way
    A Stakeholder Advisory Board has been created to give passenger representatives direct engagement with senior company officials
    Passenger load weighing equipment continues to be installed on trains to help identify and resolve crowding issues."

Is this a f***ing wind-up?

'Secure Station Accreditation'? How the **** does signing up for some stupid audit process make any real difference to the station's security when there are no poxy staff anywhere to be seen outside the 'main' central stations outside the hours of 7:30-9:30 and 16:00-18:00?

How in the name of all that is holy is the fact that WE have paid for the 'rebranding' of all the stations with THEIR poxy logo a 'benefit'?

'Stakeholder Advisory Board'? How much did that cost to set up, when there are already other bodies that are supposed to take care of this (The LRPC for instance)

'Passenger Load Weighing Equipment' to tell them where there is overcrowding? How much did that cost when the answer would have taken me about 35 seconds to come up with "THE NETWORK IS OVERCROWDED ON BUSY COMMUTER LINES DURING THE RUSH HOUR"

Absolute ****ing joke.
  • Options
    Think i'll go for leaving the Valley around 4.30, and I'll make it easily
  • Options
    I blame Red Ken, Andrew Mills, Iain Dowie, Corey Gibbs and Ben Hayes
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]I blame Red Ken, Andrew Mills, Iain Dowie, Corey Gibbs and Ben Hayes

Most delays are caused by people holding the doors open. Fact.
  • Options
    I know Leroy - it is a joke but they know there is no alternative so they can do whatever the hell they want.

Mine has gone up only by £3.10 a week but there are some massive hikes on there and i really don't understand how some stations can have their fares reduced
  • Options
    my bus pass went down last month a fiver too :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]I blame Red Ken, Andrew Mills, Iain Dowie, Corey Gibbs and Ben Hayes

Most delays are caused by people holding the doors open. Fact.

So not the people weeing, but the door holders?