Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 25th Nov 1986. Charlton 2 Bradford City 0.... Att 817

edited November 2007 in General Charlton
So, were you there? The first round had attracted a bumper crowd of 821 against Birmingham.

Full Members Cup 2nd round. Charlton Athletic 2 (0) (Lee 58, Walsh 59) Bradford City 0 (0) Selurst Park. Att: 817.

Charlton: Bolder, Humphrey Reid, Shipley, Thompson, Shirtliff, Aizlewood, Stuart, Pearson (Melrose 63), Walsh, Peake (Lee 55).

Bradford: Litchfield, Abbott, Goddard, McCall, Oliver, Evans, Hendrie (Clegg 72), Goodman, Leonard, Singleton, Palin (Ellis 51).

Referee: Mike Reed (Birmingham)

Comments

• Options
    I was there and against Birmingham. I also went to Everton for the quarter final.
  • Options
    Yeps

I was there with my nan and grandad (though I didn't go the Birmingham game).

Zheeesh - what a shit competition - though the last minute of normal time against Norwich will live long in my memory for obvious reasons!
  • Options
    I was there for the 2 home games mentioned, but in those days I didn't travel away (unless it was inside the M25) and so missed the everton game.

Remind me, what happened in the Norwich game. I expect i was there, but cant think what might have gone on (or off!) - last minute goal ???
  • Options
    I was there and for Birmingham

Very Norwich we equalised at the very end of time added on and then won in extra time.
  • Options
    Walsh and Humphrey, right? Or is my memory fading and I've got that wrong?
  • Options
    i was part of the 821 but not the 817.not much of a delay or queue for the 75 bus home.
  • Options
    I was also there for this game. I can't for the life of me remember why??!!
  • Options
    I was all the games,i remember walking out in the semi-final game when Robert Rosario scored only to have to dash back in when Walshie scored.The final was a big let down,should have won at a canter.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Norwich was covered earlier in the year.

Details here: http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=5172&page=1#Item_10
  • Options
    hope you'll cover the Everton game
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wasn't allowed to go - school night.
  • Options
    Went to both of the 800 games. I never missed a "home" game at Selhurst, and there can't be many on here who can claim that!

Seems to me that these two games have become a bit like the modern equivalent of the old 7-6 game where everyone of a certain age seems to be claiming they were there. If we say that there were 50 away fans at each game that means there were only about 750 Charlton fans who could possibly have been at both games - and I think I must've met 500 of them already!
  • Options
    I was there for both of them.

After we were drawn against Bradford I recall a friend who was a Bradford supporter trying to tease me about the size of the crowd against Birmingham. I informed him that seeing as Birmingham were a much bigger draw than Bradford the crowd would probably be even smaller - and correctly predicted 817.
  • Options
    I was there. My one and only time of standing on the Half Awake Terrace. I remember that it was bloody freezing that night, as well.
  • Options
    I was a ball boy for both the 800 attendance games......
  • Options
    Yes i was there as well,i never missed a single game home or away for the best part of 3 seasons during this era,i must admit this game stood out for me!standing at that dump and thinking will we ever be back at the Valley! seems a long time ago! Thats why i never complain now about things at Charlton i am so proud to be back at the Valley and no matter what division we play in! It is just nice to be at home
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Was at both this and the Birmingham game.

It was during a run of nearly 300 consecutive home and away games I went to around that time.

These days I'm just a 'plastic' :)
  • Options
    I was there as well for all the home games...funny the cameraderie we had back in those days....saw the same faces home and away. Was a very sad time to be a Charlton fan...took a lot of stick about our lack of support.....as someone said...was soooo good to live through this and then go "Home"
  • Options
    Yep and me for both games standing in the Sainsbury's end.I remember walkin up the steps when the equalizer went in against Norwich.Was it walshy? always thought it was Gritty for some reason.Definately a deflected Johnny Humphries goal for the winner.
  • Options
    was at both of them games , not sure if the standing terrace below in the half awake stand was open for these , i'm pretty sure i sat for at least one of them when i usually stood ....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was at both games - as well as the Everton one.
  • Options
    going on how many of you on here were at this game as a percentage - surely there were more than 821?
  • Options
    nope that was the crowd
  • Options
    I only went to the final - shock!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]going on how many of you on here were at this game as a percentage - surely there were more than 821?

You ain't wrong! I make it about 15 people on here who reckon they went to both so far, which means this board either has a lot of old school hard core supporters - or else a load of fibbers!
  • Options
    I only went to the final.

Would be interested to know how many Bradford and Birmingham brought.
  • Options
    I was the mascot at the final...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Eltham_addick[/cite]I was the mascot at the final...
    how did you get that little number ??
  • Options
    I'd had an operation and was coming back to full health, my old man knew a few 'inside' the club and they asked me if I'd like to be the mascot......got the whole thing on video.

apparently according to the bloke from the League/FA I was the first mascot in a wembley cup final....

remember being in the dressing room before the game and then taking shots at Bolder in the warm up.
  • Options
    I weren't there considering I was 9 months old! However it seems like we have everyone who was there on this board!