Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 19th November 2001. Charlton 4 West Ham 4

edited November 2007 in General Charlton
or should that read "two days after the day that was" according to Bexleyheath Red?

Anyway, onto business.... another classic with our neighbours from North of the Thames. Actually the game after our 2-4 win at Highbury and live on Sky sports again. Certainly giving them VFM at around this time.

Monday 19th November 2001 Charlton Athletic 4 (2) (Euell 21 28, Johansson 51 90) West Ham United 4 (2) (Kitson 3 30 64, Defoe 84) The Valley. Att: 23,186

Charlton: Kielly, Young (Robinson 84), Fish, Brown, Konchesky, Parker (Bartlett 84), Jensen, Kinsella, Powell, Johansson, Euell. Unused subs: Roberts, Stuart, Fortune.

West Ham: Hislop, Repka, Foxe, Dailly, Schemmel, Sinclair, Carrick, Hutchison, (Cole 62), Minto (Lomas 62), Di Canio, Kitson (Defoe 77). Unused subs: James, Moncur.

Referee: Alan Wiley (Staffs)

England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson and Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy attended the match.

Comments

• Options
    six years ago ??

no way

ps. was the first game with the North Upper open to all ?
  • Options
    The Liverpool game game on 27th October (0-2) had a gate of 22,658 so I would assume that it was partially open then. In fact now I come to cast my mind back I actually remeber it. No corner sections though.
  • Options
    Couldn't get a ticket to this one and had to watch it in the George in Rochester, could not believe how well Kitson played!!

Surrounded by apparently the Medway branch of the West Spam support and went through the mill I tell thee.

Got royally smashed, went apeshit at our equaliser and ws in awe at the new covered end even though I was not there
  • Options
    kitson was allowed that hatrick due to him scoring the winner at palace in our promotion year..... what a loop when jj scored, was it an overhead maybe 2 in that game.....quality quality game let's hope 4-4 thrillers in the top flight return to the valley sooner rather than later!!
  • Options
    It was my missus birthday and I had booked tickets to take her to see Mamma Mia.So i gave my ticket to her best mate and went to the game,needs must.
  • Options
    My brother, for one of the few times ever, left when Judas scored as he couldn't see us coming back.

He heard the cheer for JJ's goal (yet another overhead kick if I remember rightly) in Floyd Road. Needless to say I gave him a bit of stick!
  • Options
    What a game, can still see JJ mid-flip for the last.

Happy dayz!
  • Options
    Have to hold my hand up and say I celebrated JJ's late goal in Charlton Lane.
    Saw it dozens of times on the box after so don't go with the leaving the cinema early claims.
    Still leave during the last knockings of injury time and always will.
  • Options
    Was a cracking game which saw Di Canio at his very best.....he made West Ham tick that night and JJ's overhead will always be remembered. Can still remember the crowd singing W*nker Di Canio!!!!
  • Options
    I started that W*nker Di Canio chant (my mother would be so proud)

how good was JJ's overhead ?

Was at the back of the upper, and couldn't believe how high it was
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    6 years FFS - that's unbelievable.

God this was a great game and JJ's ovrhead as well. didn't he score 2 against Exeter a couple of months later.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]6 years FFS - that's unbelievable.

God this was a great game and JJ's ovrhead as well. didn't he score 2 against Exeter a couple of months later.

Yep!
  • Options
    "Was a cracking game which saw Di Canio at his very best.....he made West Ham tick that night and JJ's overhead will always be remembered. Can still remember the crowd singing W*nker Di Canio!!!!"

I might be wrong (I was probably drunk) but I seem to remember him getting a grudging round of applause from some addicks when he was subbed.
  • Options
    Was a fabulous night, I sat next to JJ's Nan and Grandad for this one at the front of the West Stand and he came over after the game (we were in the front row). At that point I had "ONLY 1 JJ" on the back of my home top which they were very impressed with as was he when he came over. His Nan took a few photo's of us both and then he nicely gave me the top he was wearing to take home, which me as a 15 yr old stuffed up my shirt for fear of someone taking it and didn't get it out till I was safely home in my bedroom! Still have the shirt now! JJ = LEGEND!
  • Options
    Di Canio did get applause when he came off...he played a blinder....and what a nice story Red Army...thats what Footie is all about...
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Six years - blimey. And I can also picture that overhead kick...

I had Sky Sports at this time and taped it - Richard Keys introduced it as "never mind the Fowlers and the Mitchells, it's all about the Powells and the DiCanios".
  • Options
    this games was my first as a season ticket holder, the first thing i bought from my first ever pay packet.
  • Options
    I was out in the Bahamas and saw it on the box. I think the Highbury game was on the week before too, but this one has stuck in my mind because of the drama and JJs heroics at the death. Unbelievable.
  • Options
    Think I missed this one - wasn't allowed to go or something (one of the reasons my wife at the time is now my ex-wife). Watched it in the box. Great game. Agree Di Canio was awesome that night.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]Think I missed this one - wasn't allowed to go or something (one of the reasons my wife at the time is now my ex-wife). Watched it in the box. Great game. Agree Di Canio was awesome that night.

I watched it with my West Ham mate. Couldn't believe how it went. Neither of us could believe Kitson. You don't get too many of those games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cracking game.

However, in order to justify how such a good game could be produced between two "also ran" teams I seem to remember the TV (highlights) and papers the next day concentrating on the "shocking defending" rather than some brilliant goals, from both sides - of which JJ's was the pick - and the good attacking play from both sides.

Ah well, I spose at least we got media coverage in them days!
  • Options
    and one for the youger fans.
  • Options
    Happy days.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]Was a fabulous night, I sat next to JJ's Nan and Grandad for this one at the front of the West Stand and he came over after the game (we were in the front row). At that point I had "ONLY 1 JJ" on the back of my home top which they were very impressed with as was he when he came over. His Nan took a few photo's of us both and then he nicely gave me the top he was wearing to take home, which me as a 15 yr old stuffed up my shirt for fear of someone taking it and didn't get it out till I was safely home in my bedroom! Still have the shirt now! JJ = LEGEND!

that's a great story
  • Options
    Euellies first goals at the Valley having scored his first goal at Derby the previous week.

Great game - hard to beleive it was 6 years ago.

Travelling back after the game with Baghead and Folkestone Addick to the North not so.
  • Options
    Boll ocks 7 years ago.
  • Options
    Eleven years ago this week!
  • Options
    I have a signed photo of JJ scoring the equaliser on my wall at home alongside one of Kevin Lisbie's hat-trick goal against Liverpool, good memories!
  • Options
    such a great game ... seem to recall it was pissing down with rain that night but couldn't care less ... terrific atmosphere
  • Options
    and 13 years tomorrow.....