Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What is the best, most impressive Charlton performance you have ever seen

edited October 2006 in General Charlton
Not necessarily best match, or best result, but the best performance.

I can think of three:

At home to Chelsea on Boxing Day

Away at Wolves when we won 4-0 and could of had more

Home to Bradford in what i think was promotion season, we won 4-1

Comments

• Options
    1987 playoff final vs Leeds...

Home to Chelsea in 1989 at Selhurst and won with a great goal from Mortimer.

Middlesboro at home in 1997, won 3-0, two goals from Newton and won from Bright.
  • Options
    I thought we were pretty exceptional First Half vs ManU in the 3-3 but went in at half time losing 1-2 if you can work that out.
  • Options
    Gooners Away (Santas Chip)
    Norwich Away (Sir Clives hatrick)
    WBA Home (few seasons ago, may have been the Champ season)
  • Options
    For me both the Chelsea Boxing day game and Manure 3.3 are the best performances i've seen from Charlton. And i can't split them.
  • Options
    In addition to those game already mentioned, there was:

Everton home 3-2 (1986 ish) Melrose hatrick
  • Options
    I remember one game at Sellout was possibly 28th December ish our First year up, we were bottom of Old First Division but Colin Walsh inspired team performance saw us thrash Man Citeh 5-0. Both Walsh goals & Melrose's one were pure class.
  • Options
    [cite] Ketman:[/cite]I remember one game at Sellout was possibly 28th December ish our First year up, we were bottom of Old First Division but Colin Walsh inspired team performance saw us thrash Man Citeh 5-0. Both Walsh goals & Melrose's one were pure class.

What price a repeat?
  • Options
    Beating Chelsea on Boxing Day.
  • Options
    Chelsea boxing day was immense.

I was doing the Sky Fanzone that day and as you can imagine the Chelsea fan was a complete WANKER giving it large all day before hand.

Oh how I lorded that victory.

2nd Half at St James Park when 3-1 down and won 4-3

AFKA's 4-0 at wolves is a good un as we always used to play shite up there.
  • Options
    Man City at Selhurst 86/87 ish when we beat them 5-0
    Chelsea 89/90 Morts goal
    Forest twice in 97/98 at home
    Wolves away as mentioned
    WBA at home 97/98 5-0 win

Probably loads in 97/98 to be honest
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember one game at Sellout was possibly 28th December ish

I think Jan 1st or 2nd, we were bottom at the time then, Walsh got two, Melrose one, Shipley one + a.n.other...
  • Options
    Bit more obscure, but we absolutely outplayed Swindon at Upton Pk, won 2-0 and Minto scored a great goal.

Memorable because Hoddle was the manager of Swindon, were recognised as a footballing side, yet we played them off the park.

And Hoddle then gave a very sour grapes post-match press conference.
  • Options
    Tough question this.

Going way back to about 1976 when we slaughtered Southampton 6-2. I think we would have beaten most first division (as it was then) sides on the form we showed that night.

Getting recent when we mullered Stockport in the Championship and Andy Hunt got a hatrick but should have had 5, same season the second half against Tranmere when, inspired by Steve Brown, we came back from 2-0 down to win 3-2.

Liverpool at home last season also "Lisbie's match."
  • Options
    Beating Spurs 4-2, Flanagan hatrick in 1976/77 when Spurs had a season in Div two after being relegated.
  • Options
    [cite] LenGlover:[/cite] same season the second half against Tranmere when, inspired by Steve Brown, we came back from 2-0 down to win 3-2."

Wasn't that the one when at 2 down- curbs took an attacking player off- brought Brown on to the complete amazement of most of the crowd and we then almost immediately ate our words when he scored?
  • Options
    WBA Away last season 1st half - anyone else remember just how well the midfield played. Complete domination. It was when Murphy and Smertin were completely running the show.
  • Options
    [cite] LenGlover:[/cite]same season the second half against Tranmere when, inspired by Steve Brown, we came back from 2-0 down to win 3-2.

was that a midweek one ? sure that was the one Eric Nixon in goal was doing every timewasting trick under the sun. Backfired spectacularly though !
  • Options
    Ketman:
    I remember one game at Sellout was possibly 28th December ish our First year up, we were bottom of Old First Division but Colin Walsh inspired team performance saw us thrash Man Citeh 5-0. Both Walsh goals & Melrose's one were pure class.
    What price a repeat?

YOU'RE ASKING A LOT THERE. NOT SURE I COULD PULL THAT OUT THE BAG AGAIN AT MY AGE!

Arfur: 2nd Half at St James Park when 3-1 down and won 4-3

THINK I'D GO ALONG WITH THIS ONE. PLUS THE TWO PLAY OFF FINALS OF COURSE.