Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Phillip Pullman - His Dark Materials

Anyone else read this? My girlfriend kept going on about it and lent me a copy, starved of a book I reluctantly starting reading it (it all looked a bit 'Dungeons and Dragons' for me) must say it's excellent, haven't been so engrossed in a book in a long time. Really looking forward to the film now too.....

If not, what's everybody reading at the moment? I've had some decent tips off here before....

Comments

• Eric Clapton's Autobiography...Not bad but not great
  • Worrying noises coming out about the Golden Compass film... I saw it advertised the other day some 4 weeks before it hits cinema, which is a sure sign the distributor is concerned over it's low profile/poor feedback from test screenings.

I saw 28 weeks later on DVD and it inspired me to read World War Z by Max Brooks again. It's essentially written like a History book with people recounting their own personal stories from the days when the earth was overrun by Zombies and how humanty fought back. It's really quite a work of Genius.

Recently read Haunted by Chuck Phallank (the bloke that wrote Fight club) which is twisted brilliance. Aparently people were known to pass out when he read out Guts on it's promotional tour... it is very grim!
  • [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]Recently read Haunted by Chuck Phallank (the bloke that wrote Fight club) which is twisted brilliance. Aparently people were known to pass out when he read out Guts on it's promotional tour... it is very grim!

Read this on holiday earlier this year - laugh out loud in places but also truely sickening! Highly recommended, especially if you have a warped sense of humour like me. Reading the Guts section whilst sitting next to a swimming pool made it all the more real.
  • edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]If not, what's everybody reading at the moment?
    "BusinessObjects Enterprise XI R1/2 - Administering Users and Content with the CMC"

Totally enthralling.

For geeks
  • [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]I saw it advertised the other day some 4 weeks before it hits cinema, which is a sure sign the distributor is concerned over it's low profile/poor feedback from test screenings.

I hope they haven't screwed up the film as it's got the potential to be great.

I wouldn't have said that seeing a trailer four weeks before theatrical release is necessarily an indication of poor screen testing or a poor film though. I've lost many hours of my life to meetings discussing film marketing campaigns and that would be absolutely standard. In fact I'd be surprised if it wasn't be trailed earlier than this....

When I was at Disney we were trailing Pirates before we even had any footage to put in it, about a year before theatrical release, just a skeleton's foot walking across the sea bed (or 'ocean floor' to my old bosses!) intercut with voice-over man and some captions.
  • Trailer yes i'd expect to see months in advance...LOTR had them appearing years in advance! But this was premium paid for TV advertising which struck me as unusual this far out. I'd have thought TV advertising was used no more than 2 weeks prior to launch?

Was chatting to someone at Empire who said there were lots of rumours about the Studios asking for recuts and street date sliping back.
  • Ah, sorry - misunderstood.

Yeah, that's far more unusual. Hints at the marketing budget being cut which would have come from a reduction in BO expectation from the studio (Warner?).

I know there were problems with the director changing a couple of times and the screenplay being re-written - maybe it's all gone a bit tits up?!

Oh well, guess we'll find out soon - glad I read the book before the film screwed it up!
  • I read the Golden Compass book a couple of years ago. Thought the first half of the book was excellent but descended into near farce when we got to the armour plated polar bears & the mass battles towards the end. I know it's a children's book but ffs.
  • I am currently reading Homers oddesy and will be for some time yet I imagine.
  • Still seeing how good Nicole Kidman looks in the trailer is probably enough to have me queueing upto see it... phwoooooooorrrr!!

Big money spent on it, i might pick up the books to have a read first.
  • Sponsored links:

• how does golden compass fit with his dark materials?
  • And what exactly is wrong with armour plated polar bears?! Iorek Byrnison is a hero!

An excellent read, as are the next two books. I hope they haven't screwed up the film, ought to be great.
  • It is the name for the Northern Lights book outside of the UK.
  • The problem is that the trilogy is in essense about a war between man and god, and that the merkins in their wisdom are cutting any religious content from the films, so whilst the first may be ok, the second will have to diverge from the book and the third will have to be completely rewritten
  • TT
    edited November 2007
    Christ fancy making a film with content like that and trying to sell it to Middle America - The uproar when they found out Dumbledore was in the gays was unbelieveable, they're more religously fanatical than the Middle East!
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]how does golden compass fit with his dark materials?

The Dark Materials trilogy contains 3 books:

The Northern Lights
    The Subtle Knife, &
    The Amber Spyglass.

The film is based on the Northern Lights book, but has been called The Golden Compass. As Salad says, this is the name of the first book in the trilogy in the USA & certain other countries.
  • I was given this triology for Christmas five years ago & laughed when I saw it was aimed at teenage readers.
    I thought, 'cheers, what are you trying to say???'
    But that person really knew me & my imagination.
    I have not read three books that quick since I was given the Chronicles of Narnia as a small child.

As soon as I finished them I went on about them to everyone I knew & said that it was excellent material to make into a film. And then when I found out it was being done by the same people who did the Lord of The Rings films, I was overjoyed.

I really really hope they don't muck it up. I'll be devastated :-(
  • Still think for sheer enjoyment they're the best books i've ever read. As KBslittlesis says I read them in next to no time at all and would hightly recommend them to anyone! Can't wait for the film and again echo others in the hope they haven't messed it all up!
  • Probably have to agree with you there RedArmy - I forced myself to wait a month between each book, didn't want it to end too quick!

I'll be really disappointed if they've screwed up the films.
  • http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/

I enjoy the books. Films never match books as the pictures aren't as good but the clips seem ok and a good cast
  • Sponsored links:

• Great books, but I cant see it coming off on film somehow.

Im reading Last of the Wilds By Trudi Canavan, second in a trilogy, the first being Priestess of the White.

Whilst on the subject of books, would recommend any David Gemell book if you like Northern lights and for variety Bernard Cornwell...originally famous for the "Sharpe" books, but has done some fantastic novels with Harlequin amongst his best.

Finished "Auschwitz" recently as it came highly recommended. Was interesting as some of the facts stated were unknown to me, especially the way the "Final solution" came about in reality. The reich certainly wasnt the well oiled machine that some of us were lead to believe.....quite harrowing at times, but should be on the curriculum for all teenagers at the very least.
  • cheers for the link Henry

My daemon is Pereus a male Mouse Daemon.

How cool is that!

:-D
  • Ooooh, mine's Clymonistra - a Gibbon!

I'm modest, fickle, spontaneous, passive and responsible apparently. Think my girlfriend would scrub modest, spontaneous and responsible form that list though!
  • edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]cheers for the link Henry

My daemon is Pereus a male Mouse Daemon.

How cool is that!

:-D

Didn't realise you could do that.

Mine's a female Snow Leopard called Vyena which matches my modest, spontanous, competative, shy and assertive nature or so it says.

Going to have to take Joe to see this film now. For him, not me of course : - )