Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

My Fiesta's revs are playing silly buggers

edited November 2007 in Not Sports Related
coming home from stansted my engine warning system light starts flashing the car rev counter was going up and down but the car was still going so I got home just about. It really does not like the low gears. Any ideas what it could be ?

Comments

• Sounds like a fault with the engine management. How old is it?
  • edited November 2007
    4 years old done 64k. please let it just be the spark plugs. it has been on a lot of motorways for work and CAFC.
  • Could be a plug, although unlikely. Does it idle smoothly or can you rev it ok when it's stationery?

If you can, it may be that the engine management has its knickers in a twist. It's quite difficult to diagnose problems like this with new cars unfortunately. It would probably need a mechanic/dealer to look at it (probably via a pc)

If you can't you can check by removing one of the plug leads at a time. If it runs the same with one plug lead out, you can isolate the problem to either a didgy plug or lead.
  • the rev are not smooth when its running stationery.
  • This might have something to do with the alternator. Is it okay on motorways, long runs but less reliable & not so good on local runs.
    Do you have to keep the revs going when the car is stationary at traffic lights?
    Was it cutting out.
  • If you can, try checking the plugs (as above) If nothing else, it will rule them out.

Where are you based, I know a decent mechanic in Sidcup who doesn't charge the earth.
  • edited November 2007
    yep badger thats right is ok on long runs i.e high gears 4 and 5 low gears local run dodgy not smooth but it does not cut out.
  • thanks dave im in essex i will take it to a ford dealership tomorrow. I might drive it as RAC will only put it on tow.
  • edited November 2007
    No problem, good luck!
  • My Fiesta .......? I thought you meant Reader's Wives. :o)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]thanks dave im in essex i will take it to a ford dealership tomorrow. I might drive it as RAC will only put it on tow.

For gods sake just let them plug in their computer and diagnose the problem. Once you know what's up take it to a local garage don't let a Ford main delaer loose on it.
  • It was the coil system that was buggered.
  • [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]coming home from stansted my engine warning system light starts flashing the car rev counter was going up and down but the car was still going so I got home just about. It really does not like the low gears. Any ideas what it could be ?

It's all gone Pete Tong! ;-)
  • when this happend to me it was the cat converter.
  • What's a cat got to do with a car you melt?
  • Had a similar ting withmy fiesta but at the time was a driving novice.... it came to note when my brother borrowed my car and found himself pulling away at roundabouts at mega speed (i'd just adjusted my driving accordingly). Freaked aout an old lady at a zebra crossing once too as it reved along!!

Mechanic couldn't diagnosed anything and it just kinda stopped int he end!