Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Great away games great memorys

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
Some of the years might be a year out (the brain isnt what it used to be!)

Arsenal away 1990 2-2 Steve McKenzie equerliser (This is the day we were told we were going back to the valley

Man City away 1989 won 2-1 Mortimer twinkle toes done it again

Norwich City away 1989 won 3-1 Mortimer AGAIN with one of the best dribbles and finishes you will see on football pitch

Portsmouth away 1990 won 2-0 took 3 sections for a night game remember pompey used to take the pi$$ by waving at away fans but we turned the tables and done it to them. They wasent happy!

Wolves away 1991 1-1 Robert Lee with our goal One of the best atmosphires I have heard at a game of football

Southampton away 1989 won 1-0 Garth Crooks with a great finish

Sheff Utd away 1991 lost 3-1 over 2500 for a night replay and with no trains we took over 50 coaches

Port Vale away 1-1 Steve Gritt in the last min had over 1000 for a night game and going mental on the terraces

MBoro away won 2-1 Tommy Caton (RIP) in the last min that after Boro had equerlised in the 89th minute!

Newcastle away won 4-3 after being 3-0 in the first 25mins and getting the winner in the 90th minute

Chelsea away 1989 1-1 Paul miller from 30 yards (What deflection?) Carl Leaburn getting knocked out then the ream holding him back when he woke!

Some great memorys

Comments

• Options
    Wimbledon away when i got kicked out the ground
    Marched across the pitch LOL

Just for surging forward lucky for me i did not trip on the way down teh terrace as the police had my arm right up if i did trip it would have broke was a funny funny day
  • Options
    3 personal favourites:

Ipswich away 1981 FA Cup "Penned in hordes fronm the Surrey Docks vomiting expletives"

Fulham away FA Cup 1981 Killer winner

Villa away 1999 Mills winner off Tyler's chest!
  • Options
    Ipswich 81 was my first away game with my Dad and Uncle what a day will always remember that one
  • Options
    West ham away when we scored after 9 seconds and won 3-1. Never forget it
    Wolves away in the cup 1970's when we took the best away support I have ever seen. Lost 3-0
    Chelsea away in play off already mentioned
    Ipswich away, Leaburns hat trick in 5-1 win. My sons first away game and I had to explain it wouldnt always be like that.
    Newcastle away won 2-0 we had about 100 there but we spent all game starting 'sack the board' chants and the locals loved it.
    And for some unknown reason Aldershot away, I just loved the ground.

Its funny how different things bring back different memories for different people.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    2-1 win at WBA 2005 season maybe when we we're singing were gonna win the league after that game something went wrong at the club.
  • Options
    went to all of them Terry with the exception of Boro.All great memories loved goin away in them days.
  • Options
    what about blackburn away when we won 1-0 in FA cup , i think it was Pritchard scored,
    also the away game in FA cup away to man utd we lost 4-1 and schmicheal got sent off, the atmosphere was the best ever
  • Options
    Middlesbrough 1985 at Ayesome Park. Crowd was about 4,000. It was bloody freezing but we won 3-1. Had comp tickets from Charlie Hall. Amos Stuart scored one of the best individual goals I've ever seen and the toasted curry sarnie in the pub beforehand was something to die for.
  • Options
    5-5 At Eastville against Bristol Rovers. My car wouldn't start after the game so Killer, Martin Robinson, and Dick Tydeman helped me shove it out of the car park onto the road where it was safer and invited us to join them on the team coach back to the Valley.
  • Options
    Being only a lighty in his mid twenty's, i haven't got the miles racked up like most you chaps... but a couple stick in my mind that were pretty good..

6-7 years ago when my sister went to uni down in Southampton, she got us a couple of free tickets for the game there. She promised they were in the away end! We were sat right by the directors and all that! nightmare.
    Can't really remember the score. 1-1 maybe. But our lads were going bananas and I couldn't help but stand up and chant every now and then with them. Was told to sit down a few times... We did score and i stood up to celebrate. Absolutley loved it...
    My saving grace was that I was only a young pip squeek back then and we left a fewe minutes early.

My best one was Chelsea a few seasons ago. Carling Cup when we won on penalties.....
    Had a couple of my Chelsea season ticket holder mates giving it large to us before the game.Cracking build up to the game in the pubs and the game with the penalties was tense too.

I got Darren Bents shirt when he chucked it in the crowd afterwards and I wore it all the way home with my russian mates! Cracking atmosphere with the chelsea lads on the tubes as they weren't really fussed about the cup, just losing to little ol' charlton.

I'm sorry i wasn't there with you old timers in the lower league days but those are my favourites. ...
    and i've still got Bents shirt somewhere for when he comes back!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still number one has to be Carlisle away 3-2 win Jim Tolmie own goal,2-0 down promoion to the big boys.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Still number one has to be Carlisle away 3-2 win Jim Tolmie own goal,2-0 down promoion to the big boys.

I cannot remember a single thing about that match coz I was soooo bladdered. Got up there early doors and was in the pub by the station at about 10.30. Crammed with Charlton by 12noon. After the match, it was a bit hairy down the high street and it wasn't very sensible to go drinking in Carlisle that night either.
  • Options
    Thought of another couple...

Ipswich away 4-4 we were 4-2 down I think we had a Peaky rocket and a last min goal by Tommy Caton again?

Newcastle away 2-2 when Newcastle were romping the league and a certain LEABURN scored a header that night!!

I will think of some more........
  • Options
    The Port Vale midweek one will always be a favourite of mine, mainly through circumstance. Not that the team were doing great or anything, but it was at the time when i'd just started going away games and was getting to know so many new people around the same age and a bit older. Within a short timeframe, i'd got to know virtually everyone who went regularly within a five-year age bracket, we had an amazing friendly but tight group, and considering it was before websites, mobiles, emails etc, it really said something about how everyone got to know each other. Great days.

The 5-2 midweek up at Walsall was another favourite of mine.
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited October 2007
    First away game against Palace 2-0 in fa cup 3rd round 1968...the next one was against Arsenal in the 4th round...that was a magical day for me.....Wolves away in the cup in 76, seems like half of South London was up there, Ipswich away in 81 cup again.....Shrewsbury away in 85-86 promo season, and playing footie in the car park....30 a side :-) Carlisle.....well wasnt that a day out...up at Bexleyheath to pick the coach up at 5.30am.....only four coaches, but a bundle of fun...anyone remember the Plymouth fans (think they had been up at Darlington) on the way back? and the coach full of girlies going through Brum showing us their wares? Loads of good memories...Hereford, Pompey countless times, Southampton at the Dell, Dover ina pre-season friendly in 76, Brighton countless times, Bristol Rovers when they played at Bath....had my bloody car towed at that one! Bristol City in cup....Man Utd in cup when I took an unofficial coach load up from the West Kingsdown area in 94/95....could go on and on :-)
  • Options
    THAT GAME AND THE SUNDAY BEFORE AGAINST MAN CITY PRINGLE MISSED 2 OF THE WORST OPEN GOALS I HAVE EVER SEEN.
  • Options
    Millwall in the snow was brilliant.

I was also in the Directors box for the 5-1 (?!) win at Ipswich. Loads of Charlton first team squad sat next to me, that was cracking.

Beating Man City when Morts scored a wondergoal and people were doing the conga on the terrace.

Norwich away for the Hunty show a few years back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite] and the coach full of girlies going through Brum showing us their wares?

at the man u cup game, we pulled off the motorway and pulled up at some traffic lights. And in the inside lane, a bloke was sat in the driving seat while his female was 'relieving him'. Didn't expect a great big coach to pull up next to them !! Hilarious reaction with half the coach cheering them on, and the other half trying to get their kids away from the window !
  • Options
    :-) Can just imagine it Smudge....ahh the memories eh?
  • Options
    sunderland away early 90's? we won 2-1 david whyte got one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Here is some more.......

Northampton 1990 in the league cup at Sellout about 500 northampton in the corner and the OB go in to arrest someone the next thing you see is a massive bundle and a coppers helmit flying through the air hahahaha!!

Leeds at Sellout 1st leg of the play offs Jim Melrose in the 89th minute!

Liverpool at Sellout loosing 2-0 the crowd that day was 28,000 YEAH AND BL@@DY REST! The capacity then was 35,000 and belive me there was not an inch between anyone that day it was mullered!!

Leicester at Upton Park when Leicester bought down between 10-15,000 got a bit nervours when they filled the south bank and came across the pitch into the chicken run! Remember them smashing the seats up and all us urging them on as if we cared about upton park hahah 2-0 to Charlton and Bolder saving a last minute pen!

QPR last game of the season when we won 2-0 Crooks scoring and us staying up we went on the pitch and celebrated!

There will be more.....
  • Options
    1984 (?) last game of the season had to beat Bolton to stay up....and we did 4-1....

On the pitch afterwards...lol
  • Options
    Wimbledon 4 Charlton 5 at Selhurst - Coca Cola Cup in 1995

Bowyer hat-trick and a wonder strike from Big Fat Peter Garland.

Also, Mortimer leading Millwall a merry dance, in the snow.
  • Options
    Colchester away in the cup 1985? When there wooden terrace collapsed. Looking around for my mate and finding his head and shoulders sticking out the terrace. Won 1-0 when we should have been slaughtered.
  • Options
    With fazza on that one, i'm not an 'oldie' so didn't go to the classics, winning at Millwall in the snow sounds quality!

But yeah that night down at Stamford Bridge in the carling cup, excellent night!
  • Options
    Tottenham Dec 1987. Sunday lunchtime kick off and our first away win of the season. Willow doing up Parks, and Dave Campbell tapping into an empty net in the last few mins. Long but enjoyable walk back to Seven Sisters, and just could not wait for school on monday to wind the spurs lot up.
  • Options
    Southend back in the 90's - 2-2 and Kelvin Morton was the man in the black. He had an absolute nightmare, didn't he send off Colin Walsh and one of theirs - umpteen penalties. Just remember laughing with all the Shrimpers at how bad he was.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Southend back in the 90's - 2-2 and Kelvin Morton was the man in the black. He had an absolute nightmare, didn't he send off Colin Walsh and one of theirs - umpteen penalties. Just remember laughing with all the Shrimpers at how bad he was.[/quote]

One all draw. Leaburn scored and Steve Gatting sent off by that idiot Morton. As he went to send him off, he first of all pulled out his snoty hanky, and then reliased he needed his red card.

2 missed pens from Pitcher and Walsh and Curbs sent from the dug out by Morton
  • Options
    Went to practically all the above (post 78) but Colchester and Carlisle stick out (mainly for the day out on the coach that Dowman organised!)

Remember winning 1-0 at fulham in 84 or 85. Paul Curtis got the winner near the end. First away win for over a year.

Suprised no-one's mentioned the 1-0 win at Old Trafford in 86, the play off final at St Andrews or the 1-1 cup game at Spurs in 84.
  • Options
    I did a piece on the 1-0 at Old Trafford in an old thread.....a mate of mine from Liverpool organised the tickets, but managed to get us sitting in amongst a load of Manc U muppets....he was scared to open his mouth all game and I had to suppress myself when Mark Stuart put the ball away towards the end.....I got back to the car before I celebrated....got some really funny looks in the car park.....youre right Dave, was a goodun too...did the Spurs game in an executive box courtesy of Rank Xerox...was a pissy afternoon....