Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Drivel on the OS

TELTEL
edited October 2007 in General Charlton
Ye gods....I've just had a look at the fans views on the OS......we're doomed....apparently!

Comments

• sadly i would of hoped for a more considered opinion on here, but i'm rapidly getting disproved !!
  • Its mild on here mate.....some of the contributors on the OS are frothing at the mouth....the two sitting behind me on Saturday must be on there somewhere!
  • couldn't agree more AFKA. I can't believe some of the comments I'm reading here. Okay, three bad results and we need to turn the corner quickly but it's hardly disasterous yet. There is a long way to go and all you need is three wins on the bounce and you're in the top two. I have to admit I don't think we'll make the top two but a play off play is well within our capabilities. People moan about the defence, and rightly so, but the reality is that in this division you can get away with that if you score enough goals. That is our real failing at the moment. Beattie is on 9, Miller on 7 etc and yet our top striker has three. I do believe that with Iwelumo playing we are too one dimensional and it is far, far easier for defenders to deal with balls played up to him than it is for them to play against pace, ie McLeod and Varney. I can't believe fans are saying ' would we be better under Dowie' (behave!!) or 'should we recall Bent' (LOL) and even 'we should have kept Lisbie (no thanks!). For gawd's sake let's give McLeod, Varney and even Iwelumo a decent chance. They've been here ten games not ten season's so cut them some slack. I always thought this season would be tough and that it might take two seasons to get back up, especially with the huge turnaround in personnel, and I think that some fans are being unrealistic in that we should be at the top because we've just come down. It doesn't work like that. Other players, esp McCarthy, have been ridiculed after a handful of games and yet at Palace he was outstanding, put it in where it hurts, and at the end showed his passion and commitment to the cause. I actually feel he is a 'defender' in the sense that he will put his head in where it matters and is no nonsense in that he will stick it in row z. Plus he will always give 100%.

I'm not happy with recent performances and they certainly need to improve asap but I think some people need a reality check. Let's get down to St Mary's and get behind the team and Pards.
  • [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite]Ye gods....I've just had a look at the fans views on the OS......we're doomed....apparently!

The contributors to the Your Views bit on the OS are always nuts. These are probably the people too timid to post anywhere else on the internet, but they're probably also the ones who have been booing the side, going home with 10 minutes to go and sitting on their hands when big flags need passing around.

Bascially, they're the kind of idiots that get very upset with the world, but instead of doing something positive about it, they grumble about it and write a letter to the Daily Mail.
  • I agree with Large. We'll always have players/tactic we like or dislike and will disagree with but some of the doom and gloom is so extreme. We're not doing it at the moment and maybe we never will but by the same token we could go on a great run like in 99/00 and in 97/98.

And I don't know if you can count but I'm pretty sure there has been twice the posting on here following the QPR defeat than there was when we beat Liecester for example.
  • edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]And I don't know if you can count but I'm pretty sure there has been twice the posting on here following the QPR defeat than there was when we beat Liecester for example.
    Not sure how many new members we have, but the little piece in the programme on Saturday will have helped - the "guests" figure was pretty high on Sunday. Oh...and we were crap, as well!
  • [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]And I don't know if you can count but I'm pretty sure there has been twice the posting on here following the QPR defeat than there was when we beat Liecester for example.
    Not sure how many new members we have, but the little piece in the programme on Saturday will have helped - the "guests" figure was pretty high on Sunday.

What was in the programme? not read it yet.

I meant to say twice the number of posts rather than number of posters. Badly worded.
  • This isn't the OS? Get my coat, I'm outta here...
  • edited October 2007
    Henry - Bottom of page 8 was a little piece about the Demelza cheque presentation
  • [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]Henry - Bottom of page 8 was a little piece about the Demelza cheque presentation

Good, I'll have a look when it arrives in the post.

The OS fans view is odd. Good that the club allow the criticism on their own site but as it isn't in real time it seems very slow. When I look at it all the debates seem to have taken place on CL two days before or are just so nonsensical.

Lookie/Afka, CL is miles better than fans views.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think the criticisms of the way the OS page is provided is fair and understandable but it does distance the club from the kind of unacceptable nonsense that sometimes appears on the best run message boards - by which I mean racist or libellous comments.

It was pointed out to me when I ran the site that we were a club that boasted of its close relationship with fans but didn't actually reflect that in its on-line content very much. That's why I started it.

It's a compromise solution and like most compromises nobody is completely happy with it.
  • Haven't read the Your Views section for a couple of years, so won't criticise on something i don't use.

All i would say is that its been said on more than one occassion that resources in the media / PR section of the club have been stretched for quite a while. I don't know how long it takes to compile and publish all the entries on Your Views, but surely when there are a glut of independent sites such as this that perform the same role, them resources would be better off devoted to those things that the media section are more in control of, and do very well ?

As an aside, we've tried three times in the last 15 months to get our site added to the links section of the Official site and have never received a reply, let alone been successful. We're the most active of Charlton forums on the net, yet as we are independent and not part of the Sky and other big company-led networks, such links would be of a massive benefit to people like us.
  • Perhaps the real reason for the extreme moans and groans on the OS is its looking like they wont get their freebie premiership season ticket next year!
  • I think the OS has its place, no arguements from me whatsoever. I was just shocked at the rants about every facet of the club since the defeat against Plymouth. The negativity was/is astounding. We all have our little gripes and moans from time to time and our own opinions which is so important to any forum, but the sheer number of rants and some of the venom aimed at players and the manager was surprising to say the least. Back in the old days, the clubs crowd figures would be a good gauge as to how well a side was doing as fans could vote with their feet...these days with the number of season ticket holders at most clubs being quite considerable, its a little misleading.....we would be showing a figure of 20-22,000 even if we were bottom club, and with only 12-14,000 in the ground. In the end Forums are really great, and I guess we have the option to read or not to read. Time to follow my own advice :-)