Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Comparisons with 99/00

WSSWSS
edited October 2007 in General Charlton
Just for some comparisons and maybe perspective?

leaguetablepd7.png

Comments

• Options
    November through to Christmas that season, we were pish, but the crowd got behind the team, and we saw it through
  • Options
    It is a bit of an eye opener - 12 wins on the spin!! And ust look at that finish to the season!
    Good to see us do the double over Palace too
  • Options
    West Side, have you got a League table showing us at the same number of games that season?
  • Options
    I hate to be the doom merchant (really, I do), but the only two consecutive defeats were the last two games, and I don't see any sequence of three defeats in a row.
  • Options
    Oggy:

newleaguejh1.png
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]I hate to be the doom merchant (really, I do), but the only two consecutive defeats were the last two games, and I don't see any sequence of three defeats in a row.

Bear in mind we had a settled team that with the exception of Danny Mills was more-or-less the same as that which had been relegated the previous year. We started well and kept it going, and although Mendonca was injured for a lot of the season Andy Hunt was in great form.

This season we've virtually had a new team with a new keeper, defenders, midfielders and strikers coming in. Perhaps having gotten off to a decent start (second after 10 games) a bit of reality is settling in that this year will be tough, with a lot of teams around the same level and that the new squad needs to settle in, and perhaps that Pardew hasn't got the mix of players and skills just right. Maybe a couple of new players need to be drafted in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]I hate to be the doom merchant (really, I do), but the only two consecutive defeats were the last two games, and I don't see any sequence of three defeats in a row.

Bear in mind we had a settled team that with the exception of Danny Mills was more-or-less the same as that which had been relegated the previous year. We started well and kept it going, and although Mendonca was injured for a lot of the season Andy Hunt was in great form.

This season we've virtually had a new team with a new keeper, defenders, midfielders and strikers coming in. Perhaps having gotten off to a decent start (second after 10 games) a bit of reality is settling in that this year will be tough, with a lot of teams around the same level and that the new squad needs to settle in, and perhaps that Pardew hasn't got the mix of players and skills just right. Maybe a couple of new players need to be drafted in.

Very valid points.
  • Options
    Anyone got the Championship table from this time last season?
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited October 2007
    Rothko:

newagainwu8.png

we have the same points as Sunderland Sach, and they've played a game more...
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    That's a bit more like it. Now we just need Pards to metamorphose (or whatever the word is) into Roy Keane...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    that's very interesting reading. 2 of the top 3 in 14th and 15th at this stage......
  • Options
    Thanks, West Side. I see we had games in hand (we'd had matches postponed because of international duty, if I remember), our home form was good and our away form, well...crap.

We had plenty of blips that season before our 12 wins in a row winning streak.

There's a lot of football to be played yet. Only 33 games to go .......
  • Options
    That makes for far better reading!
  • Options
    WSS, you've cheered me right up looking at last years table. I was sinking into despair :-)
  • Options
    I'm mightily enthused now and will be turning on the doom merchants from here on.

i'm sure the team will click into gear in the 2nd half of this season.
  • Options
    all well and good but in 1999/2000 we had Rufus, a young Powell, Mendonca, Hunt, Robinson, Newton, Kinsella, Stuart et al

this year we have an old Powell and Semedo

even that seasons whipping boy Pringle would be welcomed back for the current crap sorry crop of strikers
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]

Bit like Watford this year then.Managed to keep hold of most of their players and bought a couple of new ones in.Flying!
    We've got far too many new players to romp this league.Reckon play-offs at best.
  • Options
    Watford...... this year's Cardiff!

;o)
  • Options
    not a chance
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Watford...... this year's Cardiff!
    ;o)[/quote]

I think Watford are more like this year's Charlton of 99/00.
    The league tables from last year are indeed interesting but I keep imagining what the result would be if our team of 99/00 played our team of today. I regret to say that I think Kinsella, Rufus, Mendoca et al would piss all over today's first team. But I reckon they would also have beaten every team we've played thus far..... the Championship has got weaker (in quality) over the years, which isn't mean to say that it's any easier to get out of.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'll nail my colours. Watford are on a good run at present, but will not win the league.
  • Options
    fancy a wager?
  • Options
    And if AFKA wins his wager, we could BOO him .......

;o)
  • Options
    he's gone all quiet LOL
  • Options
    of course mate, not a gambler so anything within reason.
  • Options
    for fun £5
  • Options
    deal

*spits on hand*
  • Options
    Sunderland were 15th and Derby 14th this time last year and went up. Luton were 9th and went down.
    I can't work out if we're going up or down.LOL