Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Urgency

That was also missing on Sat. The only time we've really shown it this season was Sheff Weds second half - and they sat way too deep inviting us at them. When the team is behind with 10-15 mins to go, I expect to see everyone making an effort to get into good positions. I expect us to get the ball back quickly. I expect the crowd to roar the team on when they get a corner or free kick in a promising position. We just looked like we couldn't wait for it to end. Very worrying.

Comments

• maybe a one goal defeat will help us stay up , it could come down to goal difference;-(
  • Last five minutes Weegie, I couldnt wait for it to end as we were totally devoid of leadership and ideas
  • The team is looking too urgent and/or desperate in games at the moment in my opinion. We are rushing around like headless chickens trying to please the morons in the crowd who are getting on the players' back if a pass is not pinpoint or a shot doesnt fly into the corner like a rocket.

The players are under too much pressure from us, and a little patience from both us and the players would go a long way in my opinion.
  • edited October 2007
    I meant urgency in the positive sense - like Arsenal showed yesterday v Liverpool. OK, ludicrous to compare us to the team top of the Prem - I know we can't play like them - but if we have aspirations to be top or near the top of the Championship we need to show that kind of relentless commitment to getting the ball, getting forward, creating space, creating chances. (And they were playing a close challenger away from home - we were at home to a bottom of the table team...no wonder some of us are fed up.)
  • I'm fed up Weegie as well believe me!

The thing is, i think a lot of people have jumped on a bandwagon as a result of Saturday's performance (especially the second half performance) and it's a bit unfair. In every other game this season we have dominated and not taken chances (a bit like Arsenal a couple of seasons ago...) which i admit is a problem but come on.

I agree we need to push up on teams and finish games off, and some of AP's tactical decisions have been suspect to say the leasst but i still believe we are one of the top 3 teams in this league and even if we arent i'm gonna carry on supporting the team rather than moaning non-stop like some people in the crowds.
  • I moan much more on this board than I do when I'm at the ground, WSS. I do my best to get behind the team when I'm there for as long as possible, but it is a two way street as others have said, and the way things just petered out on Sat was pathetic. Makes me worry there are bigger problems behind the scenes than we realise.
  • agree with you WSS the support in the ground is non existant and far too moany to help the team but recent success has bred a different breed of fan unfortunately , they want results yesterday!
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]I moan much more on this board than I do when I'm at the ground, WSS. I do my best to get behind the team when I'm there for as long as possible, but it is a two way street as others have said, and the way things just petered out on Sat was pathetic. Makes me worry there are bigger problems behind the scenes than we realise.
    Can't disagree with that, the performance was crap (as Pardew admitted) and we should not performing like that as one of the top teams in this league, but these things happen.

Remember when we lost to Swindon at home in our league winning season? It's just unfortunate that losing to the basement boys at this stage of the season is not ideal for anyone. I believe we are better than that and we'll come through it. I don't get the impression that there are behind the scenes things going on and i don't think it is fair to speculate but we need to turn this around. I felt The Valley was very reminiscint of Upton Park or WHL when they get on their team's back. That's not Charlton and i never ever want it to be like that. I know expectations are raised but we are still fundamentally the same Charlton that has been around for years - shame some of the fans on Saturday are not.
  • I hope you're right that it's just one of those things. I remember that Swindon game - but it just felt like typical Charlton to end a winning streak with a defeat at home to a team that hadn't won away all season, and with a goalie howler from the otherwise infallible Deano. We pretty much laughed it off. I don't feel much like laughing today.
  • Yes, I agree, Weegie - easy to laugh it off when you're top of the league and 17 points clear.

In those days we knew we had a well balanced team certain of promotion though.

Today, our team isn't quite the finished article, is it?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]I moan much more on this board than I do when I'm at the ground, WSS. I do my best to get behind the team when I'm there for as long as possible, .

i find that very hard to believe
  • Believe what you like - it's true.
  • edited October 2007
    Its a two year project. Pards said at the start of the season that he was suprised that we are favourites to go up since its a new squad. Give him time we cant afford in more ways than one to get rid of pards. It all went wrong in the appointment of Dowie or the reason what ever that may have been why Curbishley left.
  • Let's hope the finances are set up for a two year project then. For example, what happens when there are only 10K s/t renewals next year in the Championship?
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Let's hope the finances are set up for a two year project then. For example, what happens when there are only 10K s/t renewals next year in the Championship?
    we get rid of the women's team
  • edited October 2007
    That's been done already, so maybe I'll go and support the community scheme version instead ;-)
  • Who knows Weegie we must trust the board we have no option.