Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Newcastle v Charlton Match Reaction

edited October 2006 in General Charlton
I wasn't able to see the game, but from the commentary, Diawara held together the backline with another impressive performance, Dazza snatched at a golden opportunity and Hughes put one into the sidenetting. Oh, and Andy Reid off with a niggle.

Another point...

Comments

• Fat Andy actually went off with cramp. Absolute joke how a professional sportsman isn't fit enough to last a whole match.

Truly awful match, shocking.

Happy with the point though.
  • In extra time on a heavy pitch you might let him off, but after 70 minutes????

We were lucky to get a point tonight but things are maybe evening themselves out a bit now. Diawarra top drawer again, Carson done well with a couple of stops but also spilt a couple.

Three clean sheets on the spin. Bring on City
  • My marks out of 10:

Carson 7 - pretty solid, made some great stops but also fumbled a few
    Young 7 - looked better going forward & defended well
    HH 7 - a much better performance, concentrated on his game & no silly mistakes
    Diawara 9 - brilliant, solid, read the game well & one or two perfect tackles
    El Kak 8 - defended well, one or two neat step-overs to bring the ball clear
    Holland 6 - didn't see much of him, didn't do much right or wrong
    Faye 5 - lost possesion too often for my liking, this spoilt an otherwise steady display
    Romm 8 - thought he did very well, constantly troubled the NUFC defence & linked play intelligently
    Reid 6 - lack of fitness told & his first touch often let him down - are his feet too small, they are tiny!!
    M Bent 6 - did Ok, worked hard, closed down but created nowt
    D Bent 7 - gave Bramble & Moore a workout - should have done better when though on goal, late on

Kish 5 - too late to make an impact, huffed & puffed as per usual
    Hughes 6 - some neat passes & unlucky not to score at the death
  • Duff was a disgrace. Whinging, going over easily, trying to claim anything he could..... thankfully the ref was having none of it.

Bit harsh on Andy Reid - sounds like they've been hammering him into the ground during fitness training, so not surprised over what happened to him today.
  • Duff tripped over his own feet ... hmmmmm
  • Yeah, and then tried claiming a foul for it!
  • Tell you what, if Kish gave the ball away as much as Reid and Faye did today there would be people on here calling for his knackers to be cerimoniously removed before the next home match and paraded round the pitch on a skewer!

Ain't that right Len?
  • Aye,

agreed, I've longed maintained some players get away with a lot more than others before they are criticised.

We have to be pleased with a point away from home at Newcastle. If we can get it right against City next week we can get out of the bottom 3.

Very impressed with Diawara once again.
  • Agree with you this time Len. Faye had a crap game and if Kish had done the same he'd get slagged off. The only difference is that Faye's otherwise been playing well all season. I'm not really a big Kish critic. I just can't stand seeing Hughes and Holland on the same pitch at the same time. One is a liability enough. Hughes did OK today having said that. I thought Marcus Bent played well today and deserves a higher score than given by Oakster. Can't fault his scores for the others especially Romm and Diawara. I've been so far confident for our chances this season. If we continue with the H&H and Kish in the same midfield though - God help us.
  • Overall I'm happy with the point considering we created nothing and were trying to let nothing in and and try and grab an away goal. Newcastle were hardly all over us, although the better side, but so what they were at home, Plan A for them was get the ball to Duff but thankfully he had no idea what to do with it.

Carson 7 -solid, positioning ok, handling ok too.
    Young 7 - looked better going forward, but gave Duff a bit too much space for comfort. Made a few good interceptions.
    HH 7 -looked a bit shakey to me, but no messing and decisive.
    Diawara 9 - brilliant, solid, read the game well & one or two perfect tackles -repeating above comments, our MOM, a few little mistakes but so what.
    El Kak 7 - best game I've seen, but still has that odd moment when he loses concentration, perticularly when he let Duff through when he should have cleared, Rossi hot the bar with Carson stranded.
    Holland 7 - grafted hard, closed down his marker, but offered nothing much going forward.
    Faye 5 - not his best game, on his return should have done better,gave away posssession too often for my liking, an otherwise steady display
    Romm 8 - our only real cutting edge, had some good opportunities, but final ball let him down.
    Reid 7 -ran his socks off, first touch ok, but failed to deliver any killer passes
    M Bent 7 - did Ok, worked hard, but failed to link wuth D Bent, but that wasn't his fault.
    D Bent 7 - a poor game, starved of possesion, two half chances late on that went nowhere.

Subs:
    Kish 6 - ran around and had his usual game, did nothing wrong but he[led shore our midfield up
    Hughes 6 - again as with Kish did nothing wrong, had a late chance.

Dowie: body language suggested that he was happy with 0-0, while Roeder seemed to be continually wringing his hands and looking clueless. Newcastle were the better side, (again, so what they were at home) but only because of Parker though he faded after the knock on his ankle and Duff who needed a good finisher to supply. The lack of a cutting creative edge still worries me. Reid worked hard on and off the ball but never really looked like supplying the killer ball.

Lastly, the penalty shout..no way outside the box for one thing and secondly Duff ran across Diawara and then fell over him.

Referee - Mike Dean - had a good game. Took no nonsense and got every major decision right.
  • Sponsored links:

• right i'm well gone and having to redo every word for spelling mistakes.

bUT friom my drunken state, reid promised much but delivered little, we never looked like scoring, am happy with a point, and for a neutral it must of been the most pony game ever.

happy with a point, but not as positive as i was before the game. Concerns growing. On the plus side, this kebab meat and chips is lovely :-)
  • Just watched it on Prem plus and agree with most of the sentiments above, other club supporters said Faye was prone to a shocker but as it was his first for us he does deserver some slack. What can't happen is it be a start of a run, overall I think we are about 16th now on form and its a start.
  • I think faye was intimidated by being at St. James..... like being on a night out and seeing an ex that dumped you....

I think Diawara could be the future of our defence for a few years to come, for a last minute buy he looks very good...

We are now in absolute desperate need for a creative midfielder, I thought Reid looked rubbish today, nothing he did really worked, there was no incisive pass from ANYONE, Bent got in on goal becasue titus shambles tried to catch the ball in his shirt and failed..... Rommers did well I thought always took pressure off us and scared their defence also set up Hughes who should have smashed it rather thatn placed it I thought, and as for Faye he had really decent chance and try to do a Del Piero type finish which unsurprisingly failed, he could have smashed it and we could be here with massive smiles on our face......

On the positives at least Dowie seems to have realised that he can defend and battle out a point or a clean sheet. What we now need is a positive attacking game against city, maybe the rest has fixed up JFH, you never know, so he might be able to do something there... all in all bad performance I think, but we got a point which is very promising in terms of survival........

3 points next week please.......

Also the clocks have gone back which nails me to a post, as last nights match started at 3.15am or something stupid....

Rubbish.....
  • A poor game but our excuse is we were the away team, and if it hadn't involved Charlton I'd have switched off. I can't remember ever hearing such a subdued atmosphere at St James's Park for a game.
  • I thought half the team had caught the 'Kish' virus last night in the 1st half?
    Lets hope its only a 24 hour bug !
  • we played poorly and got a point, which for me is a massive plus, better then playing well and losing.

3 unbeaten at the moment, 3 clean sheets, bit of confidence in the final third, and we'll get the win. Citeh are poor at the moment, worse then us, and I fancy getting the points
  • 3 unbeaten at the moment, 3 clean sheets...

One plus is that the defense are getting games together as a unit, instead of one or more forced changes every week. Certainly they looked the best that I've seen this season, even with the usual El K blunder.
  • Agree with most of you but one are of our play that hasn't been mentioned - free kicks & corners - surely ID and his staff can improve this as if we had a decent routine there is always the chance of scoring against the run of play. Considering the bar codes had a dodgey keeper and not much height in their team our corners were poor and as for letting ELK take the free kicks - surely we can do better?
  • Such a surprise when our players go back to their old clubs and embarass themselves when we have to sit through games just waiting for important contributions from our ex players and never get dissapointed. Generally looked like a performance of a relegated side.
  • [cite] BlackForestReds:[/cite]One plus is that the defense are getting games together as a unit, instead of one or more forced changes every week. Certainly they looked the best that I've seen this season, even with the usual El K blunder.

Good point. I wonder what will happen when Traore's back. Will they go with him on the left and move HH back to the centre, with the possible effect of destabilising Diawara (ie will he and HH have the same understanding, or will they both play the same role as big bastard and generally get in each other's way), or will they have the nerve to bench HH?
  • Sponsored links:

• We battled well for a totally undeserved point. I do have to say, though, that there is a serious lack of quality in the team and the squad. I agree with cheeseroll that this was the performance of a team already doomed to relegation.
  • West ham are in a very similar position to us, but went out today and worked for that win.

My concern is that i can't see us putting the passes together with the players we have like West ham did. We seem to go from one problem to another. We sort out the back four and keep 3 clean sheets, and then have trouble at the other end.

Wouldn't thought i would say this a week ago, but next Saturday is pretty much a 'must win'.
  • I thought Newcastle played alright for 60 minutes, and considerign we were away, it was kind of what I expected, they badly needed a performance, we needed to get SJP on there back, and we did it, and got into the game.

The rot for me has been stopped, would have been better with a win against Watford, importantly we're not conceding cheap goals, and if you don't concede you're chances of winning are a lot lot better
  • i thought we did OK - wasn't unhappy with a point up there - however - anything less than a win against City & my pro-Dowie stance will be wearing threadbare

no excuses now, we have pretty much a full strength squad & he's had time to work with them - so this is it
  • Oakster- you sum up my stance exactly- Any point away from home is a good point - we just need some of the three points at home part of the cliche.

Bring on the Citeh!
  • [cite] Oakster:[/cite]i thought we did OK - wasn't unhappy with a point up there - however - anything less than a win against City & my pro-Dowie stance will be wearing threadbare

no excuses now, we have pretty much a full strength squad & he's had time to work with them - so this is it

Agree with every bit of that.

Starting to get a bit of a gap 4-5 places above us, it needs to be closed now.
  • Let's not delude ourselves the only reason we kept clean sheets against Watford and Newcastle was because neither of these teams had players that could put the ball IN the net when they were given the opportunity by our poor defending, the same could be said of our attack play in the Watford game.
  • did anyone sit to the right of the blocks we were sitting in about 15 rows from the back where there was a drunken geezer standing up (on his own) and clapping (out of time) and being a nusience, and then an old geezer in a scarf a couple of rows inf ront of him shouting and calling him a disgrace?

I was just behind this commotion that started from the whistle at the beginning of the game. the geezer standing up got told to sit down, so got the hump and stood shouting at the old geezers for 10 mins so missed that bit of the game, I'm somewhere in between the 2 of them, as i'm all for standing up and shouting, singing etc, but when i do so, when we haven't sold out, i'd stand near the back so as not to annoy anyone and also to be with the other standing singing shouting type people. so for that, i'd say the drunk bloke was at fault. (also you shouldn't shout at old men who aren't capable of standing) however, the old geezer (who every time he shouted tons of foamy gob sprayed out of his mouth) proceeded to shout everytime the jokey songs started that our fans are our disgrace. he said that you are not a proper supporter if you don't wear a shirt and a scarf, and that singing the addams family song is despicable, and he was embarrassed to be a charlton fan, and also the song "stand up if you love charlton" is wrong, as if you loved charlton you'd wear a shirt or a scarf.

now i'm all for calmness at football, none of this fans fighting other fans etc, and I did find him hilarious, but seriously, he was rather OTT with his opinons and therefore i found myself swaying back in favour of the drunk man standing up clapping out of tune on his own.

was anyone else around that area or do you know who i'm talking about?

the drunk bloke got asked to relocate to the back in the end which he was fine doing, it wasn't a problem.
  • LoOkOuT: Good point. I wonder what will happen when Traore's back. Will they go with him on the left and move HH back to the centre, with the possible effect of destabilising Diawara (ie will he and HH have the same understanding, or will they both play the same role as big bastard and generally get in each other's way), or will they have the nerve to bench HH?

I HOPE THEY HAVE THE NERVE TO BENCH HH. I'M NOT SURE IT NEEDS 'NERVE' IN FACT, HE'S LOOKED A BIT SHAKY TO ME. THEN AGAIN IS TRAORE SO GREAT? ALL HE'S DONE SO FAR IS MAKE A LARGE CONTRIBUTING FACTOR TO START THE SEASON OFF SO BADLY.
  • HH isn't the player he was a season or two ago...the question is who is better at LB...HH or Traore? Whoever is better we play. We can't afford to pick players on reputation. It isn't as though HH offers much going forward, or as much as he once did.