Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - 24th October 1998. Charlton 4 West Ham 2

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
Saturday 24th October 1998. Charlton Athletic 4 (1) (Tiler 29, Mills 73, Hunt 87, Redfearn (pen) 90) West Ham United 2 (2) (Rufus (o.g.) 17, Berkovic 40).
The Valley. Att: 20,043

Charlton: Petterson, Mills, Powell, Rufus, Youds, Tiler (Robinson 65), Redfearn, Kinsella, Hunt, Mendonca (S Jones 85), Mortimer. Unused subs: Bright, K Jones, Royce

West Ham: Hislop, Ruddock, Pearce, Ferdinand, Dicks, Lomas, Lampard, Berkovic (Moncur 79), Wright (Kitson 78), Hartson, Sinclair. Unused subs: Keller, Impey, Forrest.

Referee: Neale Barry (Scunthorpe)

Penalty awarded against Ferdinand for tripping Robinson.

WBC Heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis, a West Ham fan, who was due to fight Evander Holyfield for the unified world heavyweight championship was a guest at this match.

The previous week, Sasa Ilic had been carried off unconsious, at Stamford Bridge, following a collision with Richard Rufus.

Back row L-R: Anthony Allman, Kevin Lisbie, Scott Parker, Frazer Toms, Michael Beale, Mike Salmon, Danny Mills, Andy Petterson, Kevin Nicholls, Matt Lee, Paul Konchesky, Anthony Barness, Kevin James. Middle row: Keith peacock (ass. manager), Shaun Newton, Paul Emblen, Steve Jones, Jon Fortune, Eddie Youds, Simon Royce, Sasa Ilic, Paul Smith, Richard Rufus, Andy Hunt, Emeka Ifejiagwa, Gary Poole, Chris Powell, jimmy Hendry (physio). Front row: John Robinson, Paul Mortimer, Bradley Allen, Keith Jones, Mark Bright, Mark Kinsella, Alan Curbishley (manager), Mervyn Day (1st team coach), Clive mendonca, Mark Bowen, Stuart Balmer, Steve Brown, Neil Redfearn, Matt Holmes.

Comments

• was this the one where Mills utterly ruined Julian Dicks ???
  • Yep, Danny Mills finest Charlton hour in the pouring rain!
  • Whatever happened to some of those promising youngsters we had in those days?
  • edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]Whatever happened to some of those promising youngsters we had in those days?

Kevin Lisbie plays for Colchester:-)

Allman is playing non league in Kent. Can't remember who for though off hand.

Got a feeling it might be Sittingbourne.
  • Easily one of my favourite and most memorable games at the Valley. Defo the best from that season
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]was this the one where Mills utterly ruined Julian Dicks ???

I think that Dicks retired after that game.
  • yay! a game I remember! still had the hump from getting ripped off at chelsea the week before but this made up for it!
  • Great game. Cemented West Ham as my favorite game of the season. Have we had a 0-0 since? Crossing my fingers for the 3rd round this year.
  • Not a bad West Ham side we thumped that day. I remember Rio bringing down Robbo and Robbo celebrated at the award of the pen like he'd just scored!

I remember seeing Dicks limping after Mills as he ripped him apart time after time. Almost sad to see, because despite the hard-man tag he was a bloody good footballer.
  • Sponsored links:

• absolutely pissing it down that day, got saturated at the front of the East Stand ... but ohhh was it worth it !!! :-)

I'm with Carter on this, one of my favourite games at the Valley
  • Andy Hunt's touch, turn and finish for his goal - an absolute beauty.

Don't remember Rufus' own goal, then again he did score a few! :)
  • Stone reckoned : ''Not a bad West Ham side we thumped that day.''

No, not a bad WHU side at all. But my recollection is that although it was a super game, we hardly thumped them. In fact, the first time we went in front in the entire match wasn't until there were only 2 mins to go. I remember thinking we were never going to win it and being euphoric but a bit bemused when we did. There must have been more than a few who left a couple of minutes early, contentedly thinking that we'd earned a hard won point !
  • Strangely this one doesn't seem like 15 years ago....
  • I know I posted this on another thread recently but some may not have seen it so here it is again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WXypOteDOeQ
  • A brilliant london derby. They had the first half and we had the second.

Pouring rain, great players on show. Good days.
  • I had forgotten how late we scored the last two goals in. Great game

• Enjoyed reliving that, thanks E-cafc.

My main memory of this game was how bad Julian Dicks was especially in the last 20 minutes.I think he retired that season and I don't think he played for West Ham much after this game.

I always like to see the team line ups as I sometimes get mixed up about who played with who and in what game.The video also reminded me of what a good player Paul Mortimer was even towards the end of his career.
  • As usual the Programme can be seen here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/7406395324

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • I was over for that and remember thinking that football at the Valley was never better than this.

Didnt Robbo nutmeg Dicks at one point too?
  • Sponsored links:

• Robbo was only a 65th minute sub - but certainly fired up in that match.

• Oh for those days again.
  • I remember after Andy Hunt scored the Vindaloo song started up and even the Upper West were bouncing!
  • We had a top notch atmosphere that season. Remember when we beat Liverpool 1.0 and Keith Jones scored we had a drink with a few Liverpool after and they were raving about our crowd and said it was the loudest they had heard for ages.
  • A very hungry - looking team, always supporting each other, giving the man on the ball plenty of options.
  • A very hungry - looking team, always supporting each other, giving the man on the ball plenty of options.

something we could look at these days at home.Better quality players i suppose but the movrment off the ball was a joy to watch.
  • Bump for the sixteenth anniversary