Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Give McLaren a cheque book

England seem to have the basis of a good side. It only needs the rules to be changed so that 'international transfers' are allowed and we could rule the world again. All McLaren needs are 2 or 3 good defenders, 2 or 3 midielders, a striker or two plus a new keeper and we could give any side a run for their money. Make the rule change and give McLaren that cheque book now.

Comments

• There aren't too many countries with a better defence than Cole, Terry, Ferdinand and Richards. Just a shame that 2 were out last night.
  • (3 if you count ferdinand)
  • Mclaren spent £100 million when he was at Boro turning them from a bottom of the table side to a bottom/middle table side... I think even cheque book management is beyond Mcclown.

He's a decent coach, but no manager.
  • I think we would have seen the game out under Sven
  • I think we would have seen the game out under Barnes!!!!

I ddidnt see the game I just enjoy remembeing Barnes managerial career at Celtic...
  • Cole isnt a very good defender
  • I personally think some of the criticism is harsh. Admittedly the problem comes from us not beating Macedonia at home but last night i thought the tactics for the first hour were good. We played well, defended well, got a goal, Gerrard should have got another, all going well.
    McClaren can't think that Rooney is going to bring a guy down just outside and they get a penalty, or that Robinson can't make a proper save. Until then we were comfortable.

I can't see what he sees in Downing as he is hopeless at that level but i thought last night was more bad luck. On another night we'd have been 2 up and cruising.
  • As Chris says above...the damage was done earlier in the campaign meaning one cock-up and we are on the knife edge of not qualifying, though it has to be said playing three at the back away from home against Croatia wasn't a smart move, and that game wasn't helped by a dumb OG from Phil Neville.

The defence has been generally sound, but putting a team together is about melding personalities and styles of play. Owen plays better with Heskey than Rooney and Crouch, Gerrard and Barry play better in midfield etc. So what do we get? In midfield Lampard and Gerrard and Rooney and Owen.

England need a good manager to get the players playing and sort out the prima donna attitude, a bit of luck with injuries and perhaps a new goalkeeper. I don't see that there is a need for a drastic overhaul - just a need for sensible coaching.
  • Mistakes in this qualifying campaign?

1 Croatia away
    2. Lescott at left back last night
    3. Robinson woefully out of form, and played.
    4. bloody mindedness over Beckham
    5. Macedonia at OT
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I personally think some of the criticism is harsh. Admittedly the problem comes from us not beating Macedonia at home but last night i thought the tactics for the first hour were good. We played well, defended well, got a goal, Gerrard should have got another, all going well.
    McClaren can't think that Rooney is going to bring a guy down just outside and they get a penalty, or that Robinson can't make a proper save. Until then we were comfortable.

I can't see what he sees in Downing as he is hopeless at that level but i thought last night was more bad luck. On another night we'd have been 2 up and cruising.

I'd disagree with that. I think the problem was that McClaren didn't know whether to stick or twist.

You could see a Russian goal was coming before the pen was given by the way the midfield was dropping deeper and deeper (like watching Charlton under Curbishley really). The fact that is was one of the strikers that gave away a pen says it all.

There were any number of substitutions he could have made at that point (Crouch for Owen, bring on another midfielder and go one up etc) but he didn't change it until we were 2-1 down and the game was gone.

Hiddink changed the game with his substitutions. McClaren, like Ericsson before him, doesn't have a plan B and doesn't know how to use his subs to change a game when it's going against him.