Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cannon St jobsworth....

edited October 2007 in Not Sports Related
My season ticket doesn't work because its been near a magnet so I always have to show it for somebody to let me through. This morning I show it and I'm asked for my photocard (first time ever) which is in my other wallet. I explained this but the guy was adamant he wasn't going to let me through so I had to buy a ticket. Surely, It wouldn't take a minute for them to check the photocard number on the ticket, ring somebody and as long as I can prove it is me (which I can) then let me through.

Been trying to get on their website to complain but its down again....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Comments

• Options
    Not sure why you are calling him a jobsworth. You didnt have a valid ticket and he stopped you. Thats what his job is. Thats like saying the guy who searches your bag at an airport and finds a bottle with liquid in he confiscates it, does that make him a jobsworth? Thought not.
  • Options
    Not sure I understand this. Why not carry your photocrd with the ticket ... the two actually go together.

On a side note, you can go and get a replacement ticket at the ticket office
  • Options
    Because it doesn't fit in the wallet I am currently using...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Not sure why you are calling him a jobsworth. You didnt have a valid ticket and he stopped you. Thats what his job is. Thats like saying the guy who searches your bag at an airport and finds a bottle with liquid in he confiscates it, does that make him a jobsworth? Thought not.

I realise my ticket is not valid without the photocard but, surely, they should be a bit more flexible and not dismiss people straight away. I've been commuting 25 years and have always had a season ticket, I shouldn't be made to feel like a criminal.
  • Options
    I say lock you up and throw away the key ;-)
  • Options
    You look like a criminal....

;-)
  • Options
    i've lost my photocard and havent had it for about 8 months but my ticket goes into the machine - no probs.
  • Options
    as a verifiable babe magnet, you have been very very lucky ...
  • Options
    I realise my ticket is not valid without the photocard but, surely, they should be a bit more flexible and not dismiss people straight away. I've been commuting 25 years and have always had a season ticket, I shouldn't be made to feel like a criminal.

Flexible? Surely the point is in the Job title? Ticket Inspector. They inspected your ticket and it was not complete. Say you have lost your ticket and some rogue had picked it up and then used it for the 6 months left on the date, because the inspector just waved him through. You wouldnt expect a bonus at crimbo for the chap would you.

There is no flexibility in these roles, they are filled by the most intollerant people and cannot be seen to be showing preference over anyone.

About 10 years ago I was taken to court for not buying a ticket. I had a monthly pass that had run out the day before. I had just come back off of a two week holiday and forgot the ticket wasnt valid. When I got to Charing Cross they stopped me and said its not valid. I said oh, shall I pay for the journey? They took my name then two months later I was in court!!!!! At the hearing the inspector said I trid to bribe him by giving him money. I was nearly in contempt of court at that point.

However before the hearing I had called at my local station and got them to provide details of the monthly tickets I had bought. I also had the holiday tickets etc ... the judge just said who has this got to court and threw it out.

The system sucks but you just have to get on with it.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    But my ticket is in date....

It was his demeanour that really wound me up....he was dismissive and unhelpful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    can't think why we are called train spotters!
  • Options
    The train number was 1107698....lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]as a verifiable babe magnet, you have been very very lucky ...

Hehe - keep fighting the cause Salad.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    It's a "letter ot the law" thing versus a "common sense" thing. Modern society has dumped common sense in favour of rules having to be obeyed and staff are reduced to automata.

I had a similar issue a while ago where I mistakenly bought a car park ticket which was for rail users who used the car park all day rather than a normal ticket because I was only parking for a few hours.

I was confronted by a "jobsworth" who refused to apply "common sense" and charge me the lower fee.

After two letters of complaint, the first being refused, I got my money back. The trick I think is to point out the damage to customer relations caused by the inflexibility. I would certainly complain and pursue it. Don't listen to the "holier than thou" voices on here. Yes you should have had your photocard with you but the people they should be going after are those who bunk their fares, not people such as yourself.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]My season ticket doesn't work because its been near a magnet so I always have to show it for somebody to let me through. This morning I show it and I'm asked for my photocard (first time ever) which is in my other wallet. I explained this but the guy was adamant he wasn't going to let me through so I had to buy a ticket. Surely, It wouldn't take a minute for them to check the photocard number on the ticket, ring somebody and as long as I can prove it is me (which I can) then let me through.

Been trying to get on their website to complain but its down again....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Get a pushbike
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]My season ticket doesn't work because its been near a magnet so I always have to show it for somebody to let me through. This morning I show it and I'm asked for my photocard (first time ever) which is in my other wallet. I explained this but the guy was adamant he wasn't going to let me through so I had to buy a ticket. Surely, It wouldn't take a minute for them to check the photocard number on the ticket, ring somebody and as long as I can prove it is me (which I can) then let me through.

Take the ticket you had to buy back to your local station with your season ticket and photocard and claim the money back.
  • Options
    Good job that you did not get pulled up at London Bridge..i've seen those guys in action...No valid ticket and you get done...no excuses whatsover..one of the blokes reminds me of a certain club shop manager we had a few years back.
  • Options
    If you feel you've been hard done-by, Southeastern's customer service/ complaints team is actually not too bad, so drop them a line.

Otherwise, as Barn Door Lisbie says, take the extra ticket back to the station, fill out a form and claim your money back - I've done it before, takes a week or two to process, and then that helps you remember your ticket next time.
  • Options
    Wouldn't happen with Oyster cards, god bless Ken
  • Options
    edited October 2007

You know Gump, at Cornell University they have an incredible piece of scientific equipment known as the Tunneling Electron Microscope. Now, this microscope is so powerful that by firing electrons you can actually see images of the atom, the infinitesimally minute building blocks of our universe. Gump, if I were using that microscope right now, I still wouldn't be able to locate my interest in your problem.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What ***** me off more than this is when my travelcard stops working a week before it runs out and, even though I KNOW it won't work, EVERY SINGLE F***ING TIME I get to the barrier the uniformed moron asks me, with a smug look on his fat face, to put it through the sodding machine to 'prove' it doesn't work. I KNOW IT DOESN'T F***ING WORK YOU CHIMP, WHY ELSE WOULD I WASTE EIGHT SECONDS OF MY PRECIOUS LIFE INTERACTING WITH A PILLOCK LIKE YOU!!!
  • Options

Don't want to wind you u anymore than the next person but why don't you just get your ticket changed so it can go through the barriers or do they charge you.
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Wouldn't happen with Oyster cards, god bless Ken

lol can't argue with that to be fair one of his better ideas.
  • Options

lol can't argue with that to be fair one of his better ideas.[/quote]

Except that Oyster cards don't work on mainline trains.
  • Options

lol can't argue with that to be fair one of his better ideas.[/quote]

Even a broken watch is right twice a day......
  • Options
    my last season ticket i changed three times but it always stops working within a week as i carry it in my purse near cards etc.
    My new one has already stopped working which i bought in september so i have 11 months of having to get swiped through...

leroy - mines i get a pen mark on it which is some secret symbol to them to mean its not working - so once they see the squiggle mark they dont bother me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]

lol can't argue with that to be fair one of his better ideas.

Except that Oyster cards don't work on mainline trains.

Blame the rail companies for refusing to take the system, even though it was offered to them, free of charge
  • Options
    Oyster is apparently being rolled out next year on the mainline
  • Options
    How does Oyster work?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]How does Oyster work?

Smart card with a radio chip in which transmit the information to the reader.

The readers are already on the barriers (paid for by TfL) and the back office system was offered (paid for by TfL) but the rail companies refused, but never really expained why they refused.
  • Options
    they don't really need to explain the bloody money grabbing gits - its obvious that they can fleece us ridiculous amounts of money.

When i was only in work for two days before i went on holiday and my ST run out i just paid for the two days outright.

£15.60 a day from Dartford. I can fly to places cheaper than that.