Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Memories of 15th October 1987 - The Great Storm

edited October 2007 in Not Sports Related
The great storm we had.

I remember I was 17 just started my 1st job and actually walked to New Cross before managing to get a bus rest of the way and was one of very few to have made it to work in Bread St EC2 (St Pauls area).

Got a bonus at the end of the month ,can't remember how much,for making the effort as so many didn't bother.

Just remember up by Mottingham station there used to be a really big tree on Middle Park avenue and that was laying across the road and about 4 cars destroyed by it.

Me and my dad were up virtually all night as we were light sleepers and my mum came down in the morning and started moaning there was no electricity to have a coffee etc and wouldn't believe us when we said about the storm - she slept through it unbeleiveably.

Reason I borught it up there is a documentary on it on Monday.

Comments

• Options
    Arf mate, i was at primary school !!

Me and the lad next door drove our bikes down to Brampton, saw that nothing was happening so went home and played Football Manager all day. Couldn't believe the amount of trees down everyone, and just how silent roads seemed with no cars about.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Arf mate, i was at primary school !!

Pup
  • Options
    Same as AFKA, remember waking up in the morning, and the lights not coming on, and my mum saying that school was cancelled as loads of trees had come down in Maryon Wilson Park and at the school.
  • Options
    I was at primary school too and my sister was a baby. Remember all the trees on City Way got mullered!! Also a chimney stack falling on one of my friends dads car just as he was about to get in it.
  • Options
    I slept through it. Got up in the morning and remarked to my dad that it had been a bit windy to which the reply was ' Windy...you want to go and see Albert's (next door but one neighbour) tree'. The tree had been blown over and fallen between two parked cars and there was not a scratch on either of them.

I'd exchanged contracts on my first abode the day before so my first priority was to go and check to see if there was any damage to the property. Just my luck, half the roof had blown away...Gutted. And the bloke who was selling to me didn't want to know as he claimed it was my responsibility. Luckily, the next door neigbour took pity on me and as he was a roofer, he got up there and sorted it for the price of as few beers.
  • Options
    My mum used to work at bexley mental and started at 7am, she rang us up and told us not to bother going to work (my first year at work too) as there were no trains. back to bed then me and all my pals met up about 2pm and went on a tremendous all dayer... ended up in the Drayman as some well known DJ was down there - robbie something or other cant remember his name now.

Was recovered (just) by the monday and got a bollocking for not ringing in to say i wont be in!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Arf mate, i was at primary school !!

Me and the lad next door drove our bikes down to Brampton, saw that nothing was happening so went home and played Football Manager all day. Couldn't believe the amount of trees down everyone, and just how silent roads seemed with no cars about.

Kids of today
  • Options
    I was a postie back then on an early turn up in Rathbone Place.I got woken up about 3.30 by the noise of the wind and debris being thrown about.I set off for work but got as far as the end of the road (about 100 feet) when all the street lights went out.

I made it down to new eltham station in about 5 mins with the wind behind me,no trains so walked back home into the wind and it took me about half an hour!

I'd like to say i then battled into work like Arf but i thought bollocks to that and went back to bed.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I slept through it too. I'm good at sleeping! My neighbours tree (about 40ft) had fallen on my shed and fence at the far end of my garden. Shrugged my shoulders, got in my car and started on my journey to Ruxley where I was working at the time. It took me ages just to get on the M20 due to roads being closed through fallen trees etc.
    Up Wrotham hill there was one lane open thanks to someone using a chainsaw to cut a tree in half. I only saw about two or three other cars on the road.
    I noticed a few tiles were missing off my roof when I got back and my mate sorted that for a half share of his inflated invoice via my house insurance. A couple of hundred quid made a big difference then and every other bugger was at it!
    My mate paid his mortgage off six months later with the money he earned/blagged in the aftermath.
  • Options
    I was out playing football the night before and remember it being really really quiet and still on the way home - eerily so. Talk about the lull before the storm.

I also remember watching THAT Michael Fish forecast late that night - the one where he said "a woman has just rung up to say that a hurricane is on the way. Well don't worry, it's not"

My funniest memory is from the next morning. There was a furniture shop up the end of my road and the wind had blown a fence opposite through the window. I remember seeing a procession of people coming down the road with sofas and the like which they'd just lifted. Well, that's Catford for you!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember waking up early that morning and we had no electricity and the only radio in the house that was battery operated was my Cindy radio (Yes I was only 8 years old!) So there we were sitting around with candles and listening to the radio to find out what had happened.

I also lived in Middle Park at the time and the amount of trees that were lost that year, took ages for the clean up.

I still remember the night before the storm - and Michael Fish assuring us that the "Silly Woman in France" was wrong!! Yeah right!!!
  • Options
    For me October 87 was quite a month

1) The Storm
    2) Following Monday (Ithink) Stock Market collapsed. Share Options buggered big time. (Later to recover)
    3) 2 weeks later. First child born 12 weeks premature. Weighed 1 lb 10 ozs.
    I need to take a pill.
  • Options
    Slept through it as well, woke up in the morning, opened the curtains and there was a chuffing tree parked right up against the window!!!!!

The neighbours huge tree in the back garden had blown over and basically fell at such an angle to completely miss his house and just scrape up against ours. It's amazing to think of the fine lines between safety and severe damage.

Even more bizzare is that he had applied to the council to have the thing removed a couple of weeks before, but because of it's size and type he was going to have pay a fortune. Jammy git didn't have to after the hurricane. We however had to replace all our fence and the bloody pebbledashing!
  • Options
    I slept through it all and woke up to no power, I was not quite 12 at the time and after wandering down the road to survey the destruction to the trees down the road I came back home.

The following day was really nice i recall, quite warm as well. We had a barbecue in the back garden as the power was off. It came back on in the middle of lunch.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'll have you all know (true story) that your great storm of 1987 actually first hit Bermuda as Hurricane Emily, the worst of my lifetime. I remember it was all due to hit at about 9-10 am, but my mum still had me in the car and on the way to school at 7:15 because the radio man hadn't read out my school in the long list of closures! It's a HURRICANE!!!! Of course schools are closed! So she dropped me at my cousins' en route and all us kids stayed there on our own. A tree came down at the front of their house and we watched a number of sail/motor boats get bashed about and sink. We went out during the eye of the storm and milled about a bit looking at all of the devastation. My mum collected me after and we got home to find my guinea pig cage smashed to pieces and the poor guinea pigs scattered all around the garden, holed up in makeshift bunkers, shivering and generally bricking it. Found 'em all tho.

From Wikipedia:

Hurricane Emily
    Hurricane Emily 3

Duration September 20—September 26
    Intensity 125 mph (205 km/h), 958 mbar (hPa)
    Main article: Hurricane Emily (1987)
    Emily formed east of the Windward Islands and headed west, causing considerable damage on Saint Vincent. It then slowly began turning north, and made landfall in the Dominican Republic, where three people were reported dead and there was $30 million (1987 US dollars) in damage. After passing over Hispaniola, Emily began a turn to the northeast, and eventually made landfall at Bermuda, where it caused $35 million (1987 USD) in damage, but no lives were lost. Thousands of migratory birds took refuge on Bermuda during the storm, including ten thousand bobolinks and thousands of Connecticut warblers. No guinea pigs were hurt at the Davis residence. As the cyclone moved past Bermuda, Emily became the fastest moving hurricane of the previous century, moving at a pace of 69 mph (111 km/h) or 31 m/s.

Bugger, turns out it wasn't Emily that became the great storm, but the following one, Floyd. Still, I'm sure without an Emily, there wouldn't have been a Floyd, and without a Floyd, no Great Storm of 87, thus making my contribution here relevant.
  • Options
    Addickted Junior was born on 15th October 1987.

First child, first grandchild and first (and last) time I went out in the road with my underpants a hard hat and a bucket picking up 'whole' roof tiles.

As I had 'drowned' the baby's head that night I'm still not quite sure how I had the foresight to think of roof repairs at three in the morning.
  • Options
    I was 7, and lived on Marlborough Park Avenue on sidcup. a tall oak tree lined street.

the tree from outside had fallen across our drive and onto our wall. I remember me and my brother jumping over the tree and walking to work still across the goats field to get to school for a normal day.

when we got home the tree was moved, and it remained a stump for years. I think the tree that was replanted outside that house is pretty big now, which seems very strange.
  • Options
    Great thread, really enjoyed reading it.

I slept through it too, woke up to no electricity or school for the next week. (living in deepest Kent at the time)
    We had lots of family staying down from London for a big christening so we had to boil saucepans of water for about 15 people to have stand up washes.
    What with no TV or Radio we had to amuse ourselves by actually talking to each other!

The whole family looks a right state in the christening photos.
  • Options
    Lookout, also from wiki....

One theory, not established or generally accepted, is that it might have been a result of the jet stream coming from America in the wake of Hurricane Floyd (1987) and exceptionally warm weather of the Bay of Biscay.
  • Options
    Spoke to my mum a few minutes ago and she reminded me that my brother actually shit the bed because he was awake through it and terrified.

I'd totally forgotten about that I will text him and remind him. Haven't spoke to the boy for a bit either
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Right, should I start my own thread then? ;-)
  • Options
    Was working at Plumstead Library - amazed at how we still opened the place with no power. All the regulars were coming in moaning that the papers weren't available and what were we going to do about it.

Asst Librarian was a guy called Mike Brown. He used to commute daily from Kenley, leaving at about 6 every morning to get in for 8.30. He hadn't realised that there had been a storm and couldn't work out why there was no power - He'd driven past trees falling and other assorted items flying past in the wind. The guy was totally oblivious to what had happened.
  • Options
    I remember I couldn't get to work as there was no trains but later in the day drove up to pick up my then bird.....we both worked for the LSE..lol
  • Options
    Lived in Dulwich and worked in The City at the time. Me and my then girlfriend drove in and parked right outside our offices in Bishopsgate - Can you imagine doing that now!!!
  • Options
    I was away with work (just started my first job too) in Newcastle, staying in a hotel. Woke up and put the TV on - there was the BBC newsreader in what looked like a dimly lit cupboard talking about a night of disaster across the South East! I thought there'd been a nuclear attack or something - was quite relieved when it just turned out to be a big storm!!
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I was living in Kidbrooke and working in London as a mini cab driver (sorry Ledge) on the night of the storm. Before the winds reached their peak there was a torrential rain storm. It was so heavy I had to pull over because the wipers couldn't cope with the volume of water.

Finished my shift at about 2 in the morning and went home. The wind was really beginning to pick up but it was a warm wind, not what I'd expected. Got indoors and sat down in from of the TV to watch a video and after a while the power went off. That's when I realised bad things were getting. Roof tiles were beginning to be torn from the roof and were flying like missiles into the houses in the terrace behind ours. We lived facing an open playing field so the wind had nothing to lessen it's force.

Went to sleep eventually but still remember the sight the next morning.

Two houses close to ours had most of their roof blown off. The houses in terrace behind ours ware showing the scars of roofing tiles that had slammed into them. Fortunately there was little damage to our house.

A few days later we had friends down from Scotland. They thought that the reports of the storm has been grossly exagerated, he said 'Southerners think every puff of wind is a storm'. We went for a trip throught the kent countryside to show what had happened. It seemed as if a gigantic hand had brushed it's way through the woods and forests flattening everthin in it's path.
  • Options
    My wife woke me up and we watched the young tree outside next door's back gate bend first one way then the other whereas the same aged tree outside our gate seemed more stable.

Unfortunately next door's tree failed to survive the storm but "our" tree is now taller than the house.

It makes me realise just how long I've lived there!

I drove to work the next day aiming for 9:00 am but arrived at 11:45 am. There were bits of tree everywhere en route.
  • Options
    Woke up and went to station as normal. Great winds couldn't have done much to damage Catford to be honest so it wasn't until I got to the station that I realised there were no trains and why. A mate took me into work by car, driving in was quite an adventure, it was shear carnage on the roads. There was no one in work, so went to the pub with the few that lived near enough to make it and then my pal drove me home. It was an amazing day. Great post Ledge.
  • Options
    I rememeber I slept through it all. Got up, showered, dressed and was still oblivious to it all. It only twigged on the way to the station with all the roof tiles, chimney pots, branches etc etc that were shrewn all over the road....
  • Options
    excellent memories, can't believe how vividly some of you remember.