Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This footballers paying charity donations to nurses

edited October 2007 in Not Sports Related
Is it a cheek that nurses have to beg for footballers for money whilst the organiser just wants to get on tv to become some kind of minor celeb, or a discrace that they have too ?

Comments

• Options
    I think its a piss take they asked the footballers in the first place. You want to be a nurse for one reason only, and it isnt the money! Tough Shit Your Choice!
  • Options
    And, I'm sure like a lot of us, they want to and most probably do, give money to the charity they choose and not one they are pressurised into. I hate charity collectors who give me a dirty look if I dont donate yet I give a fair whack to charities of my choice. I dont want to stop animal testing or support prisoners abroad or give aid to Africa that is then wasted by governments but if people do then fine. It should be the individuals choice not someone elses.
  • Options
    fully agree Brunello, charity is a wonderful thing and shows that ultimately the people of the world are caring and giving. Being pressured into giving though is uneasy at best.

Giving by and large should be a private and personal thing, and shouldn't be done under the gaze of a TV crew.
  • Options
    I can see both sides of it. OK - so these guys are rich already but I'd be narked at giving a days wages away and I am not a footballer. It would cost me around £130 and I have better things to be doing with that thankyou very much

But if these folks agreed to do it they should pay up - its a bit naughty trying to get out of it now!
  • Options
    Why pick on footballers and why give to nurses?

What next, bank managers being pressured into giving handouts to cleaners? Stockbrokers hounded into bunging teachers wads of cash? Plc chairman forced to hand over x% of their salary to lollipop ladies?

It's just a cheap publicity stunt. If I were a footballer I wouldn't give any to nurses money as a point of principle, but would instead give the money to the cause OF MY CHOICE.
  • Options
    Nurses should earn more but thats the governments problem not footballers.....

Personally I think Chinese Cockle pickers get a raw deal...
  • Options
    I'm with Brunello in the fact that if I want to give money to Charity I want to chose exactly who it goes to. One of my pet hates is the Charity bucket ladies in pubs over the weekends because you feel obliged and I never know what charity the moneys going to, like others have said I don't want to be forced into it, I want it to be my choice.
  • Options
    everyone knows the childline lady of greewich borough!
  • Options
    i gave to the Childline lady on Saturday because i told her she had been following me into Bexley and Greenwich pubs for 15 years, and she said i didn't look old enough ! That's got to be worth a quid !

And she is looking more and more like Deirdre Barlow's mum, Blanche
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite] One of my pet hates is the Charity bucket ladies in pubs over the weekends
    i asked one of these ladies what her cut was and she told me she took 35p out of every £1 that was put in ffs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i cannot believe that. Honestly ?
  • Options
    Childline in my view is a worthy cause, but I give to to a select few Charities at source straight from my wages. Childline is one of these so I don't want to feel bad about not giving in a pub when I have done so already. If i'm in a pub with friends enjoying a beer I don't want to have to justify to someone why i'm not going to be giving more money.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]i cannot believe that. Honestly ?
    yes definitely, this was in a pub up town in the west end can't remember which charity but i know i didn't part with any cash
  • Options
    A stupid idea in the first place, people should be free to donate as they see fit not be pressurized to give. That said, players who committed ought to pay up.
  • Options
    Unless I know the source I never give to collectors on the street buying something like the Big Issue is different though.

I prefer to Gift aid my donations to charities because you then know for sure that the donation gets there.

The downside with that though is that when they have your name and address you get plagued with junk mail "begging" letters for ever and a day. I sometimes write back and advise them that if they can afford postage and administration costs rather than spending money directly on the cause then they have no need for my donation. So far that has stopped the junk mail every time.
  • Options
    all said and done nurses should get paid more,as much as cozzers at least,there hearts are in the right place unlike cozzers.
  • Options
    We should all get paid more though nolly. who's gonna do the paying?
  • Options
    agreed off-it,but in comparison why do police get more than nurses?.
  • Options
    i love are deep chats off-it,learn from us people learn!
  • Options
    Demand and supply I'd have thought.

Lots of people consider nursing a really worthwhile vocation and take a great deal of job satisfaction from it and the way they're regarded by society. This probably offsets the low wages more than for a policeman who's doing a 'pig' of a job and universally disliked meaning they need to offer more money to attract the numbers that they need.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2007
    PITL has summed it up.

Plus, in my experience there are hell of a lot of nurses who just can't be arsed and are a disgarace to their profession - these are peoples lives they are dealing with ffs! It's the same in most professions of course, but for some reason people seem to look at the job individual nurses actually do through rose tinted specs.
  • Options
    I watched this programme a while ago and the woman who was doing the organising was fearsome in her approach to it. I don't feel her heart was in it like someone said, but she was effective, and she was more than happy to have her face on TV for a large chunk of the broadcast .

It's a very good way to tug at heartstrings and I respect nurses tremendously but I do a job which I'm probably not paid what I'm worth and no one is holding a knife to my throat keeping me here.

Yes nurses should be paid more and again I will agree that is not the problem of some arrogant, over-paid, spice boy, but that of the government.

Now as an aside could she have press ganged the public sector civil servant paymasters who decide the nurses wages to donate to a hardship fund? Or wouldn't that have been high profile enough (for her)

Hmmmmm....

I too donate regular to a couple of causes and will also help ones I believe in, however I would not feel happy being pressurised into donating anything and in turn would not donate on principal.

And yes Bart that has made me chuckle Blanche!! Miserable old bat
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]i cannot believe that. Honestly ?

I heard they take a 15% cut of whatever they collect, so probably some truth in all that.

...and yes, I know the woman you mean, always has a roll neck jumper on ?
  • Options
    white or red roll neck under her childline jumper. she came round the bugle on saturday. I heard mutters of "thats a nice watch you've got there, you saving up for a new car now?"

I admire the time she puts in to the cause to be fair, but still don't think its right.

eltham> were you in bromley last week, thursday evening? I think i saw you
  • Options
    The one that really annoys me is politicians giving public money to charities/third world countries. How many billions of our money did TB give away a couple of years ago? All that happens is debts get forgiven and then another country comes along with their chequebook open and they're up to their eyeballs again. Sanctomonious pricks like him make me mad.
  • Options
    I heard that they buy the right to collect under whatever charities name and keep whatever they get given .

I never give to the ones in pubs
  • Options
    I truly hope you're not right there Shag, my mate put his door key in one of them before now.
  • Options
    shows how naive i am.

I simply believed they all went round doing it because they were passionate about their charity.

I'll never put in again.
  • Options
    There's three women who go round all the pubs and bars in Medway and Maidstone of a weekend collecting for 'children with cancer'.

I have put a fair bit of money that way over the years and I dearly hope that it is not being siphoned off by those witches. I would be inclined to punch one of them if it was, but how do I know??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]white or red roll neck under her childline jumper. she came round the bugle on saturday. I heard mutters of "thats a nice watch you've got there, you saving up for a new car now?"

I admire the time she puts in to the cause to be fair, but still don't think its right.

eltham> were you in bromley last week, thursday evening? I think i saw you

yep that was me, thought I spotted you wandering past next...I was with the missus and baby.