Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Would we be top if we still had Diawara at the back?

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
Personally I think he would have made a massive difference and we would be clear of Watford.

Or am I alone in this thought process

Comments

• Options
    Well, I don't know if Diawara would have been the answer or not.

But what is apparent, is that currently we still do not have a centreback physically dominant in the air.
  • Options
    Agree Oggy, but really enjoyed watching Sodje on Saturday, aint afraid to head the ball no matter who is in front of him. He almost got kicked in the head ten times during the game, quite liked him and Boogy at the back.
  • Options
    I liked the look of Sodje too. Was prepared to put his head in where it hurts. Him and Fortune could make a good partnership. Jon is more of a steady eddie then Boogy who is prone to mistakes and loss of concentration.
  • Options
    I think last nights bullitin said it all...

"his penchant for heading the ball clear impressing the fans."

Says it all about our weaknesses when the centre back is lauded for heading the ball clear!
  • Options
    who????????

the clown that was instrumental in our relegation you mean
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]who????????

the clown that was instrumental in our relegation you mean[/quote]

Agreed Ledge. For some reason people seemed to develop a very "revisionist" view of Diawara in the close season and seem to anoint him as a modern Richard Rufus. The bloke was dire when he came in and although he improved marginally during our golden run the fact that Pards preferred Elk and Herman in the run-in says it all.
  • Options
    I can't see what all of the fuss was about with Diawarra. Don't think he would've made a blind bit of difference to where we are at the moment.

Now, if we had someone like Rufus, or Shirtliff, it would be a completly different story!
  • Options
    In a word

No
  • Options
    TT
    edited October 2007
    Diawara looked a bit lost with the speed of the game and admitted he found it hard with the ball in the air so much of the time in the Premier league... not sure he'd be our man either!

I think of all the defenders we lost HH would have been the man this year at CB... he's to slow to play there in the prem but as a lump who can sticking his head on the ball he'd have been exactly what we need.
  • Options
    Diawara missed a good few headers as well!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: millaphile[/cite]Diawara missed a good few headers as well![/quote]

Yes, I can remember two against Wigan that cost Monica his job!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]I think of all the defenders we lost HH would have been the man this year at CB... he's to slow to play there in the prem but as a lump who can sticking his head on the ball he'd have been exactly what we need.

He's never a centre half at any level. He can't play there.
  • Options
    How would having a sulking, want away centre half push us past Watford? The guy had touches of class and bossed a few games but wasn't here for long enough for us to pine after him. Time to get behind the players we have and enjoy the season.

Come on the Addicks.
  • Options
    To answer the question, probably not much just as prone to a glaring error as anyone of of our current back four is. I still think Bougherra is the real deal & with time will prove to be a decent signing.
  • Options
    Perhaps Boughie is our Rio Ferdinand but alongside him, we need a John Terry type character......
  • Options
    Boughie definitely needs someone telling him what to do but sadly so does Fortune.

We have a "defender" who is a great communicator but sadly it's Paddy Mac and we all know that doesn't work
  • Options
    Play Boughie and Fortune and give Paddy Mac a megaphone.
  • Options
    I think it's impossible to say one way or another. Many of the goals we have conceded have been about failing to stop crosses coming in as much as having somebody to head them out. Personally I always rated him. To be fair I didn't get to many away games last season and he did have some iffy performance by all accounts. What is certain was that he didn't want to play for us and slagged us off the moment he went so get over him I say.
  • Options
    Our defence was much more solid with him there so I would have to say a big YES..
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Our defence was much more solid with him there so I would have to say a big YES..

Couldn't you equally say then that we miss Carson as much as Diawara, or Lukewarm, or Herm, or Thatcher? We have a new defence this season so it's bound to take a bit of settling in. They need to gel. Less solid down to Diawara? Well in my view its impossible to say.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How's DearDora doing for Bordeaux, then - anyone know (or even care) .......?
  • Options
    They lost 3-0 to Lyon over the weekend and he looked like a statue when the crosses came in....bit like he was at Wigan....when they showed Dowie's reaction to the Wigan goals last season I could read his lips and he quite clearly shouted "head the fooking ball you french twat"....enuff said
  • Options
    Playing for Marseille against United
  • Options
    He ain't done bad since leaving us - 2 league titles in 3 years.
  • Options
    Was a good player that wasn't given time to settle in before Richard Murray made that rather uncharacteristic commet about him. Wonder if any prem clubs now would take another punt on him? Just the sort of player you could see West Ham or Fulham taking a chance on
  • Options
    i do believe it was Diawarra who injured Cristiano Ronaldo in a CL match 2 years ago. Got a red card i think too...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: addick16[/cite]i do believe it was Diawarra who injured Cristiano Ronaldo in a CL match 2 years ago. Got a red card i think too...

He did, but when you watch it back he won the ball pretty fairly, it was the fact that Ronaldo got injured that swayed the ref

I always thought he was ok for us, certainly not amazing but he wasn't quite as shocking as Traore, Faye and Hasselbaink were, he was quite quick, pretty good in the air (for the most part) and his sliding tackles were good, but if I'm honest I didn't like the fact that he wore gloves in September!
  • Options
    I thought he was a great defender, just couldnt understand why that tw*t Pardew would drop him every other game.
  • Options
    He had a great game away at Wigan for us I seem to remember...dominant in the air, got his head on all the keepers long punts forwards ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]Was a good player that wasn't given time to settle in before Richard Murray made that rather uncharacteristic commet about him.

Yeah murray was hardly a great footballing judge , seemed to use all his luck up on appointing AC

maybe if he'd backed curbishley more in the transfer market rather than the clowns he chose to follow him we wouldn't be in this mess

Diawarra wasn't great for us but how many games did he play and he loved a pair of gloves !